PDA

View Full Version : transmission slipping

mboardman
03-04-2008, 06:24 AM
alright. that day has come. its been slipping out of gear, mostly 1st and 2nd, for the past couple of days now. Its driveable now, but not sure how much longer.

Im wondering if anyone has attempted thier own repair of the auto tranny in a 3g? Mine's an 89 lxi, if it makes a diff. 219k on the clock. Wondering if it will be worth it to take it to a shop, or try it myself? Ive restored a 1940's era military jeep, and worked on its tranny at least 3 times, but this may be a FAR cry from that basic unit.

Or should I go junkyard hunting for a used unit, and is it a simple procedure to unbolt the old and put in the new unit? any experience in this area would be appreciated, thanks guys.

A18A
03-04-2008, 06:43 AM
have you checked how much atf you have left?

mboardman
03-04-2008, 07:04 AM
oh yes, its fine. up to the top of the "xxx" marks on the dipstick.

2oodoor
03-04-2008, 08:18 AM
checked the control cable from the throttle? some actually come streight from the gas pedal too, it will be either /or
If that is froze stuck, or not traveling properly, or the spring came off the lever at the trannsmission, shifting will get slippery and chunky.

MessyHonda
03-04-2008, 01:18 PM
the low miles trans from japan cost like 500 bucks still cheaper than to rebuild one...and some companies give you like 1 year 12000 mile warranty on them.

mboardman
03-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Its close to 45-50 F here today, and its shifting fine. driving all around town, all day. yesterday was bitterly cold and thats when it was down/up shifting the worst.

maybe the colder temp behavior would indicate the cable issue you mentioned above?

mboardman
03-04-2008, 02:44 PM
seeing as how that cable is pretty obstructed under the ac hoses and such, can I buy some sort of spray lube and shoot in on the spring and where it enters the tranny housing, hoping to relube it?

Dr_Snooz
03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I've rebuilt two auto trannies for an '82 and an '83 Accord. It takes some time, but is pretty straightforward. Not like adjusting a carburetor or troubleshooting a wiring problem. You should definitely have a factory manual as there are some things inside the trans that if you don't know about beforehand, you'll make a real mess removing. There is a reverse thread nut on one of the shafts and a cap that's under spring load. Mess these up and you'll be heading to the junk yard to replace the parts you broke (in the case of the spring-loaded cap, you'll be replacing your tranny housing).

One problem I encountered with both trannies was the wear inside. Every valve, every bearing surface was scored and worn in both trannies. If slipping is your ONLY problem and there aren't any other problems like a shift valve hanging up, you can probably rebuild it, no problem. Just be methodical and patient.

Having done two used engine swaps, I can't recommend them anymore. If you get a bad unit, you'll be way, way bummed out. Yes, there's a great warranty on the part, but only the part. Your labor is yours to worry about. Rebuilding doesn't take that much longer, and when I've rebuilt it, I know for absolute certain that it's good.

Hope that helps.

mboardman
03-12-2008, 04:18 PM
well, the car is now dead in the water. I was 4 hours away from home when it began slipping out of gear. I found that if I stopped the car, turned the ignition off and restarted it, then put the selector level in D3 it would re-engage about 2/3 of the time. Basically the transmission began slipping out of 4th, so I drove 50mph for 3 hours in 3rd gear, then that began slipping and letting the engine rev. Twards the end of getting home, I was riding the shoulder going 25mph in 2nd gear I think. Barely made it into my driveway. Good ol girl got me home!

Besides the slipping, it was sometimes not shifting in high revs, into the next gear, as I wanted to go faster. Is that the stuck valve you are referring to above?

I have no ambition to work on this thing, I think I'll be parting out soon.

sunroof anyone? Se-i style armrest in burgundy cloth anyone?

GraniteLXI
03-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Damn, what a shame...sounds like u got a good engine just a shitty tranny.... my LXi is an auto but it works just fine for its 166K miles... anyway maybe it may be a good time for u to consider a 5speed swap? Thats what I want to do with mine when i save up the money needed.

MessyHonda
03-12-2008, 11:52 PM
you can find some cheap trans at the junkyard...but that is only if you have the tools and time to do it.

Demon1024
03-13-2008, 01:26 AM
man i've got 2 extra auto tranys where you at?

2oodoor
03-13-2008, 03:23 AM
If you continue to drive one with the TV cable out of adjustment , disconnected, or froze, it WILL destroy the transmission, that goes for any make car that uses a Transmission Throttle Valve cable (a lot of 80's early 90's Fords, some GM, plenty others)

If you get another tranny , used, try and get an 89 model, they are better made.