PDA

View Full Version : Turbo vs NOS

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I want to build my car up to be faster... so here is a simple question, Which would be cheaper, building it for Turbo (price including turbo, wastegate, BOV, ect) or building it for spray (price including nitrous kit, custom forged internals, ect)... I couldn't find any thing about this in the search... so if theres already a thread like this... Please let me know what you would do.

Thanks,
Marshall

gfrg88
03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
your question seems kinda confusing... what your saying is which is cheaper, a "turbo kit," or a built engine with nitrous?? thats what i took, explain your self a little better....

cubert
03-09-2008, 05:36 PM
what do you plan on doing with the car? how big of a shot of nitrous are you wanting to run? How extreme of a turbo setup?

gfrg88
03-09-2008, 05:47 PM
cheapest would be nitrous, a wet kit. like a 50 shot... but in the long run its gonna get expensive since you have to keep filling the tank back up... its all in what your hp goals are and money....

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Sorry guys, I'm just trying to build a street car, on nitrous, I was thinking about a 115 shot, however if i build one with that big of a shot, it will be full custom forged internals, i'll also add more stuff like an intake manifold, camshaft, valve upgrade all that, so that way it will be faster than stock even when I'm not spraying,

If I go turbo, im just looking for a reliable 210 horse (is that un realistic?) I dont know alot about turbo, but I have found out I would have to have the manifold made, buy the turbo "kit" idk what else is involved in a turbo set up... but I do know its a pretty reliable power adder, or so I've heard, also I will be rebuilding the internals to make it be able to take more boost...

I have no idea how realistic either of these ideas are, so thats why im looking for some guesses on total price, but I figure either one will be cheaper than an engine swap... (would kill for a free B18C type R, and for someone to just stick in there and wire up lol)

I hope this clarifies my question a little, if not, just say so and ill try again

cubert
03-09-2008, 06:15 PM
id say if you plan on spending the money to do the internals just go for the gold and boost it. Search around on this forum, homemadeturbo.com, basically anywhere you can soak in information about boost and get reading. 210whp is very doable...

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks, but like i said, I dont know if I can afford to do that... so like if i were to do the boost method, how much total, also if for starting i didnt go all crazy with the internals, what kinda PSI could a stock A20 handle?

gfrg88
03-09-2008, 06:21 PM
homemadeturbo.com FTW!! read up on there... A LOT... just keep searching, and while youre doing that save up all the money you can....

gfrg88
03-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Thanks, but like i said, I dont know if I can afford to do that... so like if i were to do the boost method, how much total, also if for starting i didnt go all crazy with the internals, what kinda PSI could a stock A20 handle?

it depends on your tuning and the condition of your engine... money wise, it all depends... you can prolly turbo it for around $1k... id say get a dsm turbo kit, the turbo, bov, smic, injectors. for the manifold do what i did, an "elephant" style manifold using the stock ex. mani(look it up on homemadeturbo.com) an safc, msd boost retard... theres still a lot of other little crap that im missing but with that you prolly wouldnt spend much money and you could be looking around 200ish whp...

AccordEpicenter
03-09-2008, 08:01 PM
go turbo, youll be much more happy with it. Its more expensive starting out, but for what it costs to fill a 10lb nitrous bottle these days (at least $50 around here) youll thank yourself

labeledsk8r
03-09-2008, 09:21 PM
go boost... for the price of a fully built engine on nitrous, you coulda bought a stock rebuild with arp headstuds and everything else you need and be running a 10 psi easy on stock internals...

Accordtheory
03-09-2008, 09:30 PM
do what i did, an "elephant" style manifold using the stock ex. mani

Lets see the elephant..

MessyHonda
03-09-2008, 09:54 PM
turbo cost more but it it last longer with a good tune

2oodoor
03-10-2008, 03:06 AM
go ahead and get a the timing controller and set up the nitrous, run your target rival, beat them....
go to junk yard and get another motor to replace that one which will be short lived, and carry on as you were before the interuption:welcome:

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-10-2008, 05:27 PM
nice roodoo lol