PDA

View Full Version : Got a little problem.......

New3rdGenOwner
03-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Alright im new to the site, and although i have worked on cars im a little raw on terminology and correct terms, so bear with me :)

I have a 1989 Honda Accord EX-i Coupe.

So i picked up the car on Saturday, drove no problem. Tried starting it late that night, it struggled for a second then started right up.....turned it off and started it up again a few more times no problems. Keep in mind i live in the GTA, and yesterday and today it was COLD, -8 C.

Tonight i was going to bring it in my garage to clean it up a bit, and it wudent start.....wudent even turn over.....lights in the interior were very dim, and after a while wudent even turn on....cudent even pop up my headlights.

Now look at this:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/985/dscf0364ad3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/985/dscf0364ad3.3a9e4b37e9.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=507&i=dscf0364ad3.jpg)

The battery is brand new. I dont know the exact name of the wire that is connected to the positive terminal, but i know that the previous owner had damaged it somehow and patched it up with tape, and started no problem when i had it driven down to my house.

So what can be the problem? Bad connection? Didnt freak out when this happened, because im already going to a Honda dealership tommorow to buy a power steering hose and a timing belt, so any help would be great.

Thanks

Lil Mike
03-09-2008, 06:58 PM
personally if someone patched it with tape and not even electrical tape at that i would buy a new positive battery cable. that cable goes to the starter and the fusebox in the engine compartment so its a pretty easy install at least on my accord. if you have a volt meter laying around you should check the voltage a fully charged battery should be at 12.6 volts (correct me if im wrong).

New3rdGenOwner
03-09-2008, 07:44 PM
personally if someone patched it with tape and not even electrical tape at that i would buy a new positive battery cable. that cable goes to the starter and the fusebox in the engine compartment so its a pretty easy install at least on my accord. if you have a volt meter laying around you should check the voltage a fully charged battery should be at 12.6 volts (correct me if im wrong).

Agreed - looks like ill pick one up tommorow

But are there any other strong possibilities as to why the car didnt start?

Demon1024
03-09-2008, 07:53 PM
fix that first start with the obvious easiest first if that dosent do it keep looking. honestly i think that is it right there. that is the craziest fix i've ever seen.

you may have to charge your battery to get it to start even after that the charge from the alt. goes in there too

russiankid
03-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Definitely looks like a poor hack job. Get a new cable and also look into replacing the ground wires.

2drSE-i
03-09-2008, 08:57 PM
at first i thought the positive battery cable exploded and the red cover that goes over it was blown into pieces...then i realized some genious just slapped some tape over it lol...

Yea just replace the cable, and see if that fixes it. If not, the battery is dead or the alternator isnt charging it properly.

Hash_man_Se_i
03-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Like the others said, definately do replace that cable. Battery should still be good too... you can always take it in to Canadian tire to have them test it, seeing as the battery is most likely still under warranty through them.

New3rdGenOwner
03-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Alright guys so i went to Honda today and placed an order for a Positive Battery Cable, its coming in tommorow so ill update you guys within the next few days

Lil Mike
03-10-2008, 08:40 AM
yea Canadian tire will test the battery for free which is nice and they will also charge it for free since its a motomaster battery. do you have the warranty papers with you?

New3rdGenOwner
03-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Alright boys just a little update, went to Honda, bought a new Positive Battery Cable and replaced the old one (BTW that one was beyond gone, thing broke in 2 went i pulled it out), and fired up my baby no problem :) Just wanna say thanks for all the advice guys