PDA

View Full Version : A20 turbo manifold?

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Ok, so I have decided I am going to go with turbo (hopefully), now my question is... Is there a turbo manifold made for the A20a3? or is there one for another car that can be easily modified to fit it?, cuz all they guys on here building custom ones are asking more for just the manifold than for an entire turbo/intercooler kit for my bros 92 civic lol.... just let me know what my options are

Thanks,
Marshall

PS, im sure this has been asked, and I serched, but didnt find what I was looking for, so I apologize in advanced.

labeledsk8r
03-10-2008, 07:25 PM
yes its been asked... lol

no there are no kits actully made for these cars... the reason the people are asking so much on here is becuse hard labor goes into the builds... if you dont like the prices then you need to get a welder and start loking at some basic mani designs on home made turbo...

turboing is not cheep if you do it right... but you will feel much better haveing it running after spending the money VS slapping it together..

ps... um have you even thought of what your useing to controle this new turbo setup?? obd-1 ? or stand alone?

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-10-2008, 07:54 PM
I was planning on stand alone, but the more I think about it the OBD1 sounds better... it cleans up the engine bay also

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I have most of what you need to go turbo, if you want ti let me know. You have to realize that these cars arent civics and that your going to pay more for the parts then your brother will because the 3G has no aftermarket support. Most of the parts for these cars are custom made which means they will cost more. You have 2 options if your serious about modding your car 1. pay the extra money that the parts cost if you cant make them yourself, or 2. get a civic so that the parts will be cheap. But remember if you have a civic you just like the other 10 million people modding them, but if you have a 3G then its a lot more unique. Its up to you.

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-11-2008, 03:21 AM
yeah i know... i was just saying cuz I saw the turbo intercooler kit on ebay for like 576 dollars.... I just have to get the money together

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-11-2008, 12:10 PM
yeah i know... i was just saying cuz I saw the turbo intercooler kit on ebay for like 576 dollars.... I just have to get the money together

And you also have to look at the quality of the stuff your getting. If you going to pay $600 for a turbo kit then I wouldnt expect it to last long at all.

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
yeah I know... someone on homemadeturbo.com told me i could get a B series turbo manifold, cut off the flange and weld on an A20 flange... do you think it would work?

thegreatdane
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
No, the runners are not at all spaced the same way on the flange.

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-11-2008, 01:27 PM
oh... ok thanks

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-11-2008, 02:59 PM
ill sell you my mani and downpipe for $350 shipped. I paid $500 and never used it.

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-11-2008, 06:27 PM
I cant buy anything till atleast thursday, plus im trying to sell my car so I may not need it

labeledsk8r
03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
I cant buy anything till atleast thursday, plus im trying to sell my car so I may not need it

selling it...? that was quick lol

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
yeah, me and my dad had a talk... thats all that needs to be said, any one wanna buy it? im in Missouri

gfrg88
03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
giving up already?!?!? c'mon bro!!! dont sell it!!

MessyHonda
03-11-2008, 10:25 PM
well....at least get a civic or a integra...our cars are hard to work with since no one makes parts.

gfrg88
03-11-2008, 10:33 PM
well....at least get a civic or a integra...our cars are hard to work with since no one makes parts.

get a 2g teggy :wave:

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-12-2008, 03:19 AM
I dont know what im getting yet, but I just know that I'm probably gonna end up getting rid of mine

cubert
03-12-2008, 04:07 AM
I dont know what im getting yet, but I just know that I'm probably gonna end up getting rid of mine

id agree with gfrg88...a teg wouldnt be bad, or get a civic...you can find ok ones for decent money, and basically everything ever has been tried on them so theres not a lot of guesswork...everything from boosting the stock D to swapping in a K-series motor

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-12-2008, 12:22 PM
ok... well my dad told me that this stuff I am planning on doing to my car will be more money than the car is even worth... I want to swap to 5 speed, OBD1 conversion, and turbo.... if you had to give me an estimate how much would these 3 things cost?

Accordtheory
03-12-2008, 12:42 PM
all they guys on here building custom ones are asking more for just the manifold than for an entire turbo/intercooler kit for my bros 92 civic

That's because that "kit" you describe is complete fucking garbage. You get what you pay for. A turbo that smokes and then disintegrates after 200 miles, if it's still even attached to the manifold at that point, is about what you'd expect with that price. You think I'm joking, go look at the ssautochrome/xp power/ebay crap threads on honda-tech. There are pics of turbos with their wheels hitting the housings, turbos hanging by their oil lines, wategates completely broken off, etc. Buy brand names, and pay more. A good turbo alone from a reputable source (real garrett, etc) will usually be $750-1400. A good intercooler, like one made by precision, $400-500.

As you can see, this is somewhat of an expensive game. A good turbo system and supporting mods can easily be $5k.
I say if you're under 23 or so, you won't be turboing a 3g no matter what, either. Teenagers don't give a shit, they might have the money, but everything changes so fast when you're a teenager. To crash a car and get a new one isn't shit. You have to have the car for a while and be familiar with "commitments" to actually be able to pull something off like that. Esp knowing that if something bad happens, you'll Never get your money back from it, either.

cubert
03-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I say if you're under 23 or so, you won't be turboing a 3g no matter what, either. Teenagers don't give a shit, they might have the money, but everything changes so fast when you're a teenager. To crash a car and get a new one isn't shit. You have to have the car for a while and be familiar with "commitments" to actually be able to pull something off like that. Esp knowing that if something bad happens, you'll Never get your money back from it, either.

id say that statement is just a little generalized...

gfrg88
03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
ok... well my dad told me that this stuff I am planning on doing to my car will be more money than the car is even worth... I want to swap to 5 speed, OBD1 conversion, and turbo.... if you had to give me an estimate how much would these 3 things cost?

i think in the end, on any car youre always gonna drop more money than the car is actually worth....

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Alright, I guess its for sale then, cuz I'm under 23

Accordtheory
03-13-2008, 01:37 AM
id say that statement is just a little generalized...

Okay, I'll say under 21. How's that? 21 is how old I was when I built my first turbosystem on my 3g. (26 now)
I'm just saying that it takes a certain level of commitment to a project like that that takes a while to develop. You have to have the car for a while, if it's something like the 3g, with no aftermarket support, to want to do something like a custom turbo system. You also have to already have enough money sunk into it that you don't want to just say fuck it, and get a newer, better car. I wanted to sell my 3g a little while ago, I was so sick of it, but no one would ever buy it. When you're a teenager, you're starting out with your projects, and you have the option to chose your starting point. If I could go back in time to when I was 19, I would never have bought my hatch. I would have bought something rwd and performance oriented like a late 80s/90-91 or whatever supra, rx7 or 240sx. Probably the supra, I could have bought one for only slightly more than I paid for my hatch. Now I want to buy an sc300, a 528, (inline 6s are nice for hanging large turbos off the side) a wrx, or something else, I don't know. I want awd though because the weather is horrible where I live.

Accordtheory
03-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Another reason why you won't be turboing a 3g as a teenager, your parents. They will either just not let you, or they'll think you're retarded for doing it and criticize the hell out of you, saying you're wasting your money, you'll never get it back, why don't you do something else, etc. They, and most people,only see the 3g as a sub $1k car, and nothing more.

That's why it's funny as fuck to pull away from a $30k car in one..

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Another reason why you won't be turboing a 3g as a teenager, your parents. They will either just not let you, or they'll think you're retarded for doing it and criticize the hell out of you, saying you're wasting your money, you'll never get it back, why don't you do something else, etc. They, and most people,only see the 3g as a sub $1k car, and nothing more.

That one is also generalized

Accordtheory
03-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Are you talking about what I said about the parents or the way most people look at a 3g?

Whatever. If that 1 in 15000 teenager wants to do an obd-1 conversion and build their own non half assed turbo system, all of the info is on this site.

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
I was just saying, I did say that my dad said the parts would be more than the car, but thats not why I have to sell it, different is our style when it comes to cars, my dad just got rid of his custom Cadillac northstar powered VW bus, he had a chevy V6 running rear drive in a honda, he had an RV running twin 350 chevys.... custom isn't the problem here

MessyHonda
03-13-2008, 02:07 PM

wicked accords car is up for sale..with the placeracing mounts.

MessyHonda
03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Are you talking about what I said about the parents or the way most people look at a 3g?

Whatever. If that 1 in 15000 teenager wants to do an obd-1 conversion and build their own non half assed turbo system, all of the info is on this site.

i am 19 and i have a working OBD1 swap on my car.....going to turn 20 in one month exactly...so i guess i got to get going and turbo it in a month...haha

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I think I'm getting a supra

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I think im getting a supra, thanks for all the information about 3rd gens you have all provided

bobafett
03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
lol good luck with the supra. are you going to be rocking the 7mgte or what?

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-14-2008, 03:30 AM
no... its got the 5mgte... its an 85

bobafett
03-14-2008, 06:39 AM
sweet dude those can be really slick cars.

Accordtheory
03-15-2008, 01:32 AM
i am 19 and i have a working OBD1 swap on my car.....going to turn 20 in one month exactly...so i guess i got to get going and turbo it in a month...haha

yeah, hurry up, get on that shit..
And buy my manifold while you're at it..:)

Accordtheory
03-15-2008, 01:37 AM
wicked accords car is up for sale..with the placeracing mounts.

oooh, the place racing mounts..as opposed to the full race kit with the gt35r.

What does he want for the car? just out of curiosity.

lilhatchbesmokinU
03-15-2008, 06:24 AM
sweet dude those can be really slick cars.

Thats what I thought, but it sold before I could pick it up, as did the camaro I went and looked at... just havin bad luck lol

88ctlxi
04-17-2008, 03:12 PM

the 1k car pllin on a 30 k car is fuckin hilarious and bad ass rock on dude

3ghatchLxi
08-25-2012, 05:34 PM
ill sell you my mani and downpipe for $350 shipped. I paid $500 and never used it.

If you still have the manifold id like to buy it

Doward
08-25-2012, 07:53 PM
If you get an '85 MKII Celica Supra, you'll have a 5MGE in there.

Good, reliable I6. Don't mess with it, just enjoy it while you have it :)

bobafett
08-28-2012, 06:09 AM
If nobody has offered yet, I have a manifold and downpipe I can sell you. If you are interested just let me know or send me a pm and I will get you pictures and more details.

ryans 88 lxi
03-14-2013, 05:28 AM
if you still have them ill take them... plz let me know

Legend_master
03-14-2013, 09:52 AM
if you still have them ill take them... plz let me know

http://www.3geez.com/forum/classic-accords-preludes/80769-mosselman-turbo-manifold-group-buy.html

Vanilla Sky
03-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Yup, I have my GB going. Check out the link Legend Master posted or send me a PM for more information.

Johnshatch
12-24-2013, 11:22 PM
I was thinking of making my own by just cutting the stock flange off and welding it to an old b series i have

Tdurr
12-25-2013, 07:59 AM
It could work, but the spacing on the exhaust ports are completely differen so alot of bending would be needed, and it could cause the pipes to be brittle. Not worth it imo.

gfrg88
12-25-2013, 06:40 PM
I was thinking of making my own by just cutting the stock flange off and welding it to an old b series i have

It's been done. I can't remember who right off the top of my head, but a guy just did this over on PP

Vanilla Sky
12-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Welding steel or stainless steel to cast iron is hard. It's doable, but it's not the right way to be going about it. Have a flange cut. Or, you could buy one of the Mosselman manifolds for sale in the marketplace and be done with it.

gfrg88
01-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Welding steel or stainless steel to cast iron is hard. It's doable, but it's not the right way to be going about it. Have a flange cut. Or, you could buy one of the Mosselman manifolds for sale in the marketplace and be done with it.

Just have to get cast iron really hot, red hot, and keep it that way and welds are ok ;)

lostforawhile
01-03-2014, 03:19 PM
why do that and possibly have future problems,when there is a really good manifold already available, even if you get it to weld, you have to contend with the expansion rates of two different materials welded together, and probably future cracks

87turbolude
01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Just have to get cast iron really hot, red hot, and keep it that way and welds are ok ;)
X2 (and dont cool it with air or water afterwards, let it cool on its own)

Vanilla Sky
01-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Mild steel and cast iron still have different thermal properties. After a bunch of heat cycling, it's going to crack.

87turbolude
01-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Mild steel and cast iron still have different thermal properties. After a bunch of heat cycling, it's going to crack.
well for some reason my two different metals welded together dont totally agree with you. My cast iron flange welded to mild steel have held up just fine for 3 years so far, and thats driving and beating on it everyday. Not to say it wont eventually crack, idunno, but any manifold could crack after time under certain circumstances. I think its more in the craftsman of the product, whether or not he knows what hes doing.

Caleb Kelley
03-23-2017, 03:49 PM
lilhatchbesmokinU Don't sell your 3g because some dude said you should. That's stupid. Don't sell your car because your dad says its dumb. (unless he paid for it or in some way will be contributing financially to this) this is your car, your build, your ride. You have to drive it, you have to work on it and make the decision yourself. Giving up when things get tough wont get you anywhere. If you like the car and you want to make something of it then save your money and make it happen. I have a bone stock 3g. I want to make it fast, good looking and I don't care how much it costs, because I'll drive it till it quits, then I'll drop another motor in it. I love the car. It's great. You never come out on top. The only way you do is if you buy something brand new, and put a ton of money in it, then drive it for 30 ish years and enjoy the hell out of it, and hopefully it takes like the NSX or Skyline and is stupid valuable. You don't make a build based on your pocket. It's based on what you want. It's based on what you like. You will never come out on top monetarely. But it is fun as hell to pass a car 2, 3, 5 times the cost of your car. Build what you want not what your dad wants, or what someone else tells you. Take the advice and make your own build. I'd rather have a 3g over a civic because of originality. If you'd rather have a civic then get a civic. You'll never make it up modding cars. You mod cars because you love it, not to make a profit.

rteopas
11-25-2020, 09:47 AM
Hi guys.

Edit for spam.

bobafett
11-25-2020, 10:13 AM
If you are interested in a cheesy cast manifold and downpipe, I still have one I could sell. Had a few buyers flake on my over the years, so it's boxed up collecting dust in my attic.

I may also have a really nice full turbo kit available, if that's more up your alley. Gotta check in with a potential buyer to see if he's still interested.

Sounds like you are looking at odb1 rather than standalone, but if you change your mind, I've got a complete electromotive tecgt setup with coils and crank and cam trigger sensors for sequential fuel injection. As close to turnkey standalone as you can get for an A20.

Feel free to pm me if you have any interest in any of those things.

Jinnai
11-28-2020, 10:01 PM
Who are you talking to? The thread is 6 years old... naturally I am interested, but I'm not earlier in this thread.

bobafett
11-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Well, the thread was revived by the guy before me... rteopas.

That being said, I'm happy to sell my old accord stuff to whoever is interested.

Oldblueaccord
11-29-2020, 12:18 PM
Start a new for sale thread Im sure someone would want the manifold.

EDIT: sorry about the bitcoin spammer I missed it the first couple of times.