PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a "new" 1989 LX-i tomorrow for $525.

shawnmos
03-11-2008, 08:54 PM
So I will be picking up an 89 LX-i automatic tomorrow with 240k miles. It's actually in pretty good shape. The body has been repainted with a lighter, more modern shade of blue. It's actually a pretty nice color. The weather stripping around the doors, etc, is faded but I plan on spray painting it black. One of the tail lights is cracked so I'll need to replace that. Inside it's in pretty good shape although the seats are stained and there is a crack in the dash. This car has power everything and luckily it all works. The stereo is broken but can easily be replaced. One of the previous owners put in some aftermarket Kenwood speakers so assuming they work, that's a plus.

The guy we talked to was selling it for his daughter. She supposedly had it regularly serviced but she never kept any records so we have no idea what has been done. The first thing I plan on doing tomorrow when I get it is to change the timing belt. Does anyone know if I can reuse the tensioner and idler pulleys or should I just replace everything. I am planning on changing the coolant, oil, power steering fluid, and transmission fluid? I may also change the coolant hoses just to be safe. What else should I do?

I doubt that anything has been replaced so this is probably the original transmission with 240k miles. Should I be expecting it to fail soon?

Demon1024
03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
yes you might as well change the tensioner while your in there. Just do all the basic tun up stuff as you can afford/ find nessecary.plugs,wires,cap. make sure to use honda fluid on everything expescally the power steering sytem or it will ruin all the seals in the system. pump/rackpinion. Never a bad idea to have an extra tranny! sounds like fun

shawnmos
03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Hadn't heard about needing to use special Honda fluid before. What is the difference? Will I be able to pick up something compatible at Advance Auto Parts or Napa?

This car will be become my sister's car so I want to make sure I do preventive maintenance on anything that may likely fail. We both go to the same college so I can fix stuff if needed but she's pretty clueless when it comes to cars so I'd like to make this car as reliable as possible. The engine feels and sounds strong so I feel pretty good about it. My dad will be picking up the tab so that's no big deal. He's willing to put about $1000 into it before he calls it quits.

Thanks for all of your help.

forrest89sei
03-11-2008, 09:51 PM
The Only Honda Only Fluid you need is the power steering Fluid, and yes any Auto parts store Carries it, Bottles will say For Honda/Acura

For Auto Trans Fluid Buy Dexron III Type Fluid
For Oil either 10W30 or 20W50 (Since hot temps are coming soon for your neck of the woods)

For a Oil Filter, Don't buy Fram, try Wix, Purlator, etc..

Good Luck on the new car :wave:

2ndGenGuy
03-11-2008, 10:02 PM
The regular Frams are rubbish, but from what I've read the Tough Guards are good. Got me through 320,000 miles on my 2g Accord. Running STP on the hatch too. So far so good. :)

MessyHonda
03-11-2008, 10:27 PM
good luck with the car....i paid 500 bucks for mine

shawnmos
03-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I was reading somewhere on here that the Haynes manual says I need to take the front left wheel off, jack up the engine and remove the engine mount in order to change the timing belt. It also said to remove the AC compressor, power steering, etc. Is all of that really necessary?

If it is I'll do it but I'd rather not remove stuff I don't have to. The factory service manual doesn't mention any of that. It shows the AC compressor in place in the diagrams. Thanks.

MessyHonda
03-12-2008, 09:44 AM
you might as well replace the other belts while its all apart that is what i did

evil88accordLX
03-12-2008, 09:57 AM
yes, you have to remove the engine mount to remove the timing belt. the mount bolts into the block inside the timing belt, so you cant get the old one out or the new one in without doing so. removing the wheel will help you access the lower timing cover easier, and makes it much easier to see the timing marks on the crank gear. as far as an auto tranny goes, mine has 272,000 on it, and as long as i flush and change the fluid regularly (about every 9 months for me), it performs just fine.