PDA

View Full Version : Very Hard Start :/ and other problems...

jpetrovic
03-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Problem#1
I have an 88 Accord Lx-i, Stardard Trans. and im haveing problems with it starting... It starts as if the battrey is almost dead, the starter rotates then it starts to click as if it isnt getting enough power,

I checked the Battery cables, pos and neg. there fine
The battery is fine i just got it a few weeks ago and its voltage is normal.
The alturnator and the starter are new starter has around 1,200 miles on it and the alt. has 300miles on it

and this nostart started happeing BEFORE i put the batttery and alturnator, on. i thought that was the problem... 300 dollars later.. the problem is still there.. plus its very embarresing when im around a crowd D-:

Could it be the starter? or is there some other ground i need to check??

Problem#2

When im driving doesnt matter what gear im in. if the cars Rpm rage is anywhere from 1,700 rpms to 3,000 rpms with it in gear with the Foot off the pedal. the check light comes on. when i turn off the car and then start it again the check engine light is gone.

ex. Im driveing on the road it starts to slope soo i keep it in 3rd Gear at about 2,500 RPMs With the Foot OFF the pedel i guess thats exhaust breaking? but if i keep it like that the Check engine light comes on about 5 sec later..

Help meee Plzzz!!! :help:

Demon1024
03-11-2008, 09:51 PM
it's always 5 seconds isn't it? mine does the exact same thing 5 seconds damn near everytime. it's called engine braking btw. You can check the code on the box under the seat i think it's 12 or 14 or 17 blinks the list is on this forum somewhere just search check engine codes. It's your VSS vehicle speed sensor it's in your dash altho their is one on the trans thats not the one it's complaining about. easy fix=get new dash. my problem 2999644miles and i want to keep them and can figure out how without swaping the odometer. (you figure it out lemme no!)

your first problem i'd start by hooking a jumper cable from your neg to the block somewhere iron see if that improves your start. if so you need to upgrade grounds. also check the starter wire on the starter not the pos. the other one.Clean terminals other than that ???
good luck!

jpetrovic
03-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks i will check the cables tomrrow, and for the dash, do u mean the cluster gauge with the Tach and speedometer ect? if soo i'll look on ebay for one. when i get it i'll see if i can find a way to "hack" It soo i can set my miles, i just hit 130,000 on mine. its a cherry, and elderly man had it and traded it in for a new accord about two years ago, its in nice condition im the 2nd owner... but yeah, Thanks for the info :)

zAFW
03-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Problem# 1
Check and see if the starter is grounded properly. I had a similar problem where I had to twist three times for my car to start. The mechanic simply had to ground it properly and now it's fine.

Now if your experiencing stalling or if you know for sure that its grounded and all you should definately check out the main relay, it might be the fuel pump not getting the voltage it needs.

Demon1024
03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
yeah in the dash. search for Vss for more info on it,but swapping the whole thing is easiest tho it'd be hard to find one with low miles like that

jpetrovic
03-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I Replaced the Whole Neg. Cable and the car starts as if it came from the Factory! :D
and i shall check in to the VSS. Thanks :D

baby D
04-05-2008, 10:14 AM
the starter has bad windings, go to the bone yard and get another, try that