PDA

View Full Version : Rear discs are in , now need some help.

mushroom_toy
03-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Ok finally finished up installing my rear discs last night at around 12am. A few problems I have are these: First my ebrake doesn't work, both lines are ran and hooked up wonderfully, but the ebrake doesn't engage. (yes I have tried using the adjuster nut.) Second, the I thought I bled the brakes pretty good (used over half a big bottle of brake fluid), but when I press them going down the road it takes my car a while to stop. Anyoen think theres still some air in the lines?

snoopyloopy
03-12-2008, 09:31 AM
yeah, probably still some air in the lines, so i guess bleed them some more. about the ebrake cables, i don't know.

carotman
03-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Did you get rebuilt calipers? If not, they might be seized

MessyHonda
03-12-2008, 09:47 AM
time for some 1st gen legend calipers....one of mine is starting to act up....i went to napa and they want 65 bucks a pop

mushroom_toy
03-12-2008, 11:18 AM
^They cant be seized if they clamp down when the brakes are applied can they?

2oodoor
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
did you install the adjustable prop valve? or sei prop valve?
Yes the caliper can be sticky even though they clamp down, they may be slow to return thus heating up and glazing things a bit causing fade. Also the flex lines may have been damaged, they have metal inner support coils that can rust and protrude inside the line, or squeeze together restricting two way flow of fluid.
When you bleed them, start with the longest brake line (from the prop valve you have which is the RR I believe.
I dont know if you already covered all that or not, you may need to get used to them, they are not going to be as grabby as drum brakes.

2oodoor
03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11356
a little bit about the differences.. geez there are a lot of diff rear disc threads around here. wow

russiankid
03-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Even if you didn't use an SE-i valve you shouldn't have a problem because i am using the LX one. As for the braking issue, try bleeding them again.

Not sure how i can help with the e-brake as i rebuilt my calipers so i know they aren't seized. The e-brake mechanism could possibly be either seized or damaged. Make sure the cables is connected properly to the calipers.

mushroom_toy
03-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah I bought all new hoses so its none of the soft lines, Im guessing it probably just needs bleeding again. Yeah im gonna look at the ebrake parts on the calipers again to see if anythings wrong.

AccordB20A
03-12-2008, 04:43 PM
bleeding the brakes has nothiung to do with the handbrake, the handbrake will work no matter how much fluid there is or how badly its bled cause its mechanical. if you pull the handbrake right up and they dont work, either a cablkes snapped/disconnected or your calipers are seized. or semi seized

mushroom_toy
03-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Nope nothings seized, they just dont work? I can see them on the calipers moving, and while the wheels are in the air the rear right one works, and the left one doesnt, but they stop working when the car is rolling.(on the ground). Everythings in check as far as them working.

Also bled my brakes and I fixed the bad braking prob. I did have a bit of air in the lines, so I just bled all four and now it seems to stop a lot better and the pedal is nice and stiff, even with an lxi prop valve.

BITESIZE
03-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Your cable is bad.

russiankid
03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Your cable is bad.

That is what it sounds like.

mushroom_toy
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Even though they both hold tension?

russiankid
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Even though they both hold tension?

Are the cables by any chance uneven at the e-brake handle?

mushroom_toy
03-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Are the cables by any chance uneven at the e-brake handle?

Oui, the right rear (driver side) is the one that is slightly longer at the handle....so I guess that means itw worn out lol?

russiankid
03-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Oui, the right rear (driver side) is the one that is slightly longer at the handle....so I guess that means itw worn out lol?

I had this same issue. What you need to do is just remove the clamp on the cable from the body, and push more cable through the clamp so more goes into the body(interior).Mine were uneven and that caused the left side not to function.

Them being uneven means only one side is getting pulled correctly, which would be your right side? If the cable on the other side is a bit shorter at the handle, it wont get pulled as much.

mushroom_toy
03-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I had this same issue. What you need to do is just remove the clamp on the cable from the body, and push more cable through the clamp so more goes into the body(interior).Mine were uneven and that caused the left side not to function.

Them being uneven means only one side is getting pulled correctly, which would be your right side? If the cable on the other side is a bit shorter at the handle, it wont get pulled as much.

Yeah the side thats shorter is the one thats under all of the heat shielding....oh what a pain its gonna be lol....oh well i may just ride with no ebrake for a while lol.

russiankid
03-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah the side thats shorter is the one thats under all of the heat shielding....oh what a pain its gonna be lol....oh well i may just ride with no ebrake for a while lol.

Yea there are two clamps i believe, i was lucky and the shorter one was on the drivers side:wave:

mushroom_toy
03-12-2008, 05:52 PM
^Theres three clamps on mineXD....up under all of that heat shielding is one :(.

russiankid
03-12-2008, 05:53 PM
^Theres three clamps on mineXD....up under all of that heat shielding is one :(.

Thats right one is under the heat shield, one near the trailingarm, then one on the trailing arm.

MessyHonda
03-12-2008, 11:58 PM
at least the caliper is not bad...so yeah sounds like you just got to readjust the cable.

2oodoor
03-13-2008, 10:13 AM
isn't your car an automatic anyway? I have to say I have never pulled the e brake on the automatic LX other than to put the armrest console in !!

The DX with the 5 speed though, have to have the E brake!!! Just wondering, you must be using it to hook slide :huh: oh yeah, you live by some REALLY steep hills.. LOL

mushroom_toy
03-13-2008, 10:16 AM
isn't your car an automatic anyway? I have to say I have never pulled the e brake on the automatic LX other than to put the armrest console in !!

The DX with the 5 speed though, have to have the E brake!!! Just wondering, you must be using it to hook slide :huh: oh yeah, you live by some REALLY steep hills.. LOL

Actually I never really use it but sometimes I do as peace of mind on those really steep hills. XD. One side works so I might just forget abot fixing it....as my car is back together and im happy for now. XD

russiankid
03-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Actually I never really use it but sometimes I do as peace of mind on those really steep hills. XD. One side works so I might just forget abot fixing it....as my car is back together and im happy for now. XD

Come on dropping the exhaust is fairly easy. Just take the hangers off from the cat and muffler and lay it down.:wave:

BITESIZE
03-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Just fix it.

mushroom_toy
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Nah not for a while anyway. Im definitely done working on the car for a little while. Esp. after all of the burns/cuts ive suffered over this week lol.

russiankid
03-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Nah not for a while anyway. Im definitely done working on the car for a little while. Esp. after all of the burns/cuts ive suffered over this week lol.

Sissy..:thumbdn:

Haha jk its understandable.

mushroom_toy
03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Sissy..:thumbdn:

Haha jk its understandable.

I have a new development....pads are still even but there seems to be pretty heavy dust on my rear driver side wheel, and none on my passenger side. I know its not locking up or seizing up or anything.....hmm.

BITESIZE
03-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I have a new development....pads are still even but there seems to be pretty heavy dust on my rear driver side wheel, and none on my passenger side. I know its not locking up or seizing up or anything.....hmm.

You're a disgrace, I just ripped my whole car apart without any scrapes or burns. WTF?:wave:

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 09:47 PM
You're a disgrace, I just ripped my whole car apart without any scrapes or burns. WTF?:wave:

Maybe im just too rough. Hahaha

BITESIZE
03-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Maybe im just too rough. Hahaha

Cah's brother maybe?:thumbdn:

mushroom_toy
03-15-2008, 09:59 PM
.....umm.....no.

Civic Accord Honda
03-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Cah's brother maybe?:thumbdn:
=O mayby ...
we have the same last name ...

MessyHonda
03-16-2008, 07:18 PM
on nooo...haha

Dr_Snooz
03-17-2008, 09:20 PM

What condition are your slider bolts in? It might be worth replacing them if they are really chewed up.

mushroom_toy
03-17-2008, 11:24 PM
The pins are probably in pretty bad shape. I probably couldn't even remove em to tell ya the truth. XD

Dr_Snooz
03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
The pins are probably in pretty bad shape. I probably couldn't even remove em to tell ya the truth. XD

Well sir, I do believe we have identified the problem.