PDA

View Full Version : Little concern with transmission

New3rdGenOwner
03-12-2008, 12:09 PM
So yeah theres a bit of a grinding noise when i put the gear into reverse - opened the door to hear from the outside and its loud

Anyone have some opinions? Im hoping that maybe some new transmission fluid will fix the problem

russiankid
03-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Reverse isn't synchronized, so it will grind. Put the transmission in first then into reverse, it shouldn't grind.

2oodoor
03-12-2008, 12:27 PM
manual or auto ?
manual -sounds like the clutch needs adjusting or pressure plate is fatigued. I agree as well with the previous post as well about sychronizers, that said, that would enhance the issue if the clutch were not fully enguaged.
auto, hrmm, bad news.. fluid may be low

New3rdGenOwner
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Reverse isn't synchronized, so it will grind. Put the transmission in first then into reverse, it shouldn't grind.

I did - and I still heard that grinding sound, however it wasent as loud

Is there always going to be a grinding sound?

New3rdGenOwner
03-12-2008, 12:31 PM
manual or auto ?
manual -sounds like the clutch needs adjusting or pressure plate is fatigued. I agree as well with the previous post as well about sychronizers, that said, that would enhance the issue if the clutch were not fully enguaged.
auto, hrmm, bad news.. fluid may be low

Manual

I might need to adjust that cable clutch, the way its set right now i have to engage the clutch all the way to the floor

russiankid
03-12-2008, 12:45 PM
I did - and I still heard that grinding sound, however it wasent as loud

Is there always going to be a grinding sound?

Check the fluid level and or change the fluid.

New3rdGenOwner
03-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Another thing - when i start the car it idles nicely at around 1000 rpm, but ill rev it and itll dip down to like 200 rpm nd climb back up

Does this have something to do with the air control valve? Maybe its dirty?

2oodoor
03-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Manual

I might need to adjust that cable clutch, the way its set right now i have to engage the clutch all the way to the floor

that'll do it ! if it is too far down there it is not dis enguaged enough as if you were trying to shift without using the clutch.
yep change that tranny oil too, it may have some moisture built up and making the sychros sticky.