PDA

View Full Version : jdm b20a manual intermediate shaft wont work with quaife

mykwikcoupe
03-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Yep so i bolted up my b2k5 today and much to my dismay, Ive found not only that my lower tranny cover is now missing to the point Ive got no clue where it is. But I also found that when I installed the intermediate shaft that came bolted to my b20a, the axle bottoms out in the differential but the holes that support the other end of the intermediate shaft are about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch off. Im not sure where the extra material is made up at but Im still comparing parts. If someone has anything more to add please feel free.

Ok so I cant find my passenger side long axles, most likely tossed it with the accord parts thinking Id never need it again. it appears the spines arent deep enough for the quafie axle. when it goes into the differential, the threads are only about 1/2 way in. Im thinking I need to find a machine shop to to cut the splines longer on the shaft and cut back the axle stop on the transmission side. This sound familiar to anyone.

Ichiban
03-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Don't bother having the splines cut farther, just have them cut a relief at the ends of the splines and taper or radius back up to the shaft OD. If you were here I could do it in about 10 minutes, and for free.

mykwikcoupe
03-15-2008, 08:34 PM
sois solves the issue of the axles plines, do you think relief cut will lessen the torque handling of the axle itself? Also, the big end just after the splines bottoms out the same distance too early. Do you think this ould aso be machined back. If this is a service you do i dont mind paying shipping to help a fellow member out and Id trust a fellow member more than just some dude at a driveline shop you know. Mike

coope
03-15-2008, 08:38 PM
just ship it to him duhh

thegreatdane
03-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Picture of the intermediate shaft you are trying to put in?

RobT5580
03-16-2008, 01:48 PM
My intermediate shaft fit perfectly but i did swap the axle end (tranny side) on the passenger side because the A20 short axle end didnt work out right. I had another intermediate shaft laying around here that didnt work and im not sure what it came off of but i don't believe it was for the B20A.

I was running a B16A quaife for a 99+ SI i think but on my slip it was part# 60.309.160

mykwikcoupe
03-16-2008, 02:01 PM
yeah, mine came off the b20a when i got it so Im sure it fits. I just cant figure out why its not. thats the same number as mine. Ill have to see.

Ichiban
03-16-2008, 03:22 PM
If you cut back the shaft to the minor diameter of the splines with a nice radius at each end, and it's a solid shaft, it shouldn't hurt anything. I actually just got back from the shop, where I was machining an oil drilling pipe thread that purposely had a relief machined into it to improve it's strength. I should have taken a picture. As long as the relief doesn't interfere with sealing surfaces or any other feature, it shouldn't hurt anything.

thegreatdane
03-17-2008, 09:49 AM
My intermediate shaft fit perfectly but i did swap the axle end (tranny side) on the passenger side because the A20 short axle end didnt work out right. I had another intermediate shaft laying around here that didnt work and im not sure what it came off of but i don't believe it was for the B20A.

I was running a B16A quaife for a 99+ SI i think but on my slip it was part# 60.309.160

Which passengers side inner joint did you use instead of the A20 one?

RobT5580
03-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I had the end of a b20a axle in my tranny when i got it. The exporter just torched the axle in half so i was fortunate enough to get it.

mykwikcoupe
03-17-2008, 08:13 PM
ok, so the more I look at it, it appears this is the one i had for my auto transmission. Easy fix though. Im going to send it to the machinist listed above. Hes going to recess to oil seal axle brace thingy 4.5mm. He also going to remove 2mm off the axle bearing to block housing for an even mating surface. Basically because off the offset of the transmission it doesnt sit flush but is raise 8 degrees. Ill post pics later. i figure its this or reort to the long axle which I dont think will take the punishment

carotman
03-18-2008, 03:33 AM
Just get one for a manual transmission at the junkyard?!?!?

mykwikcoupe
03-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Just get one for a manual transmission at the junkyard?!?!?

are you kidding jean? We dont have b20a around here and youll never find a 5 speed at that. Im reffering to the small drivers side intermediate shaft that bolts to the block that allows you to use 2 equal length passenger side axles. If you have an extra laying aound just let me know. My fix should only run me about 50 bucks

carotman
03-18-2008, 05:34 AM
are you kidding jean? We dont have b20a around here and youll never find a 5 speed at that. Im reffering to the small drivers side intermediate shaft that bolts to the block that allows you to use 2 equal length passenger side axles. If you have an extra laying aound just let me know. My fix should only run me about 50 bucks

I'm not kidding, just grab one at the junkyard. The B20A5 shaft is the same. Just swap the bracket that bolts to the engine block and you'll be set.

Make sure you get one from a manual B20A5 and it's all good.

Ichiban
05-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I just got finished machining this stuff yesterday. Let me know if it all looks right.

Here I relieved behind the splines ~5mm, and pushed back the seal journal 4.5mm

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/guyhatesmycar/100_0956.jpg

Milled off the 2.5 mm from the face of the bracket.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/guyhatesmycar/100_0958.jpg
This is cool, that cutter was doing about 800 RPM when the picture was taken. See the chips flying around?

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/guyhatesmycar/100_0960.jpg

Hazwan
05-05-2008, 06:31 PM
^you really can build anything do you? :D

mykwikcoupe
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
wow that looks great. I think I just found my new custom parts guy. I think thats everything and I saved the pictures as wallpaper on various desktops around my house.

carotman
05-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Nice work but it would have been easier to get one from a junkyard :(

mykwikcoupe
05-06-2008, 05:48 AM
probably yes but Im just one fo those guys who likes to be difficult and fight through every scenerio.

Ichiban
05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Alright then, I'll get it boxed up and shipped out here as soon as I can. I've been working 12's lately, so I might have to get the gf to do it for me.

AccordB20A
05-07-2008, 07:10 PM
mikes the mannnn

mykwikcoupe
05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
sweet guy thanks alot. If I come across anything else like this in my trades Ill send you a line. Can you make small things also. To get the edm center console into the usdm car the mounting holes need to be moved. If I come up with the dimensions and everything in a rough scetch you wanna try to biuld it. Im thinking something that wont rust about 1 inch by 3 inches about 1/4 thick with offset holes drilled into it. The one I made is a little crude thus the bench vise and hand drill at home

Ichiban
06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
You ever get to fit that shaft into the differential yet?

mykwikcoupe
06-13-2008, 02:08 PM
slide right into place actually. no issues. I have to see about clearances for the outer brace