PDA

View Full Version : starter/alternator wires

newaccorddriver
03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
ive tucked away my fuse box into the cabin, and ive considered replacing the wire that goes to the alternator from the fusebox, and the positive wire going to the starter from the battery. does anyone know if 8 gauge wiring is sufficient for this?

russiankid
03-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I'd go with 2 or 4 gauge. 8 should work, but be on the safe side and get something bigger.

newaccorddriver
03-15-2008, 06:57 PM
I'd go with 2 or 4 gauge. 8 should work, but be on the safe side and get something bigger.

thanks for the input. i bought a few feet of 8 gauge because both those wires look fairly small. i guess i can turn them into ground wires now. thanks for the suggestion, i didnt think 4 gauges or even 2 gauge for that matter was really needed, but i guess i was wrong

lostforawhile
03-15-2008, 07:06 PM
the longer the wire is from the source the heavier it has to be because of resistance. it's not much of a problem on smaller gauge circuits, but on the high current circuits it becomes one.

newaccorddriver
03-15-2008, 07:19 PM
the longer the wire is from the source the heavier it has to be because of resistance. it's not much of a problem on smaller gauge circuits, but on the high current circuits it becomes one.

realistically the alternator-fuse box one will be shorter cause it will most likely go through the firewall. the starter wire on the other hand will probably be 2-3 times the normal length.