PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem (new transmission just installed)

Hondamonster
03-16-2008, 10:28 PM
ok so i picked up an 89 lx for cheap with a bad tranny. got a new (old) one from the junkyard and put it in. i swapped over all the parts from the existing tranny onto the new one (speedometer gear thing, throwout bearing, reverse sensor, maybe a couple other little things)
when i put the throwout bearing in, i thought the spring had snapped in all the way, and i moved the clutch fork all the way up and down a few times to watch it and make sure. everything looked fine. so i put everything back together and all was going well until i went to put the clutch cable back on.
when i took it off, i loosened the adjuster nut just enough to slip the cable out of the fork, but when trying to reinstall, it was not long enough. i had to adjust it all the way loose and put a jack under the clutch fork just to get the cable on. once it was on, i tightened the adjuster nut and went to push the pedal to see how it felt. it was really easy to push and felt funny, pushed it a few times then heard a pop and the pedal stuck to the floorboard. i went back to the front of the car and found the cable still attached but much more loose. i tightened the adjuster nut back up and now the clutch feels like it should. could something have broken or came loose or was something in the cable just hung up somewhere?
im going to try to drive the car tomorrow, but i might wind up taking everything apart again just to see what happened. my first thought was that maybe the spring clips came off of the throwout bearing or something... but im not really sure. any ideas?

Demon1024
03-16-2008, 10:48 PM
this happened to me once and it turned out the peice the spring clip to on the bearing had broken hope your spring just came off man thats a pain.i doubt it was you cable unless it sat for a good while or a little while in wet weather uncovered

MessyHonda
03-16-2008, 11:15 PM
the only way to test it is to drive it....throw out berrings are so cheap...i got a new one when i did my trans

Hondamonster
03-17-2008, 05:05 AM
well i know the cable didnt break... lets say it was the spring. would that have caused the slack in the cable after it broke? and if it is broken, how bad is it to drive like that? im just hoping the cable was sitting on the pedal or clutch fork wrong and it snapped into place or something.

Hondamonster
03-17-2008, 07:13 PM
ok so i guess the cable hung up on something and just settled in. i re-tensioned it and it works fine. the car drove around... all the gears work :) so ill have this car around for at least a little while... still not sure what im going to do with it.

Dr_Snooz
03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Drive it and be stoked!!

Hondamonster
03-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Drive it and be stoked!!

haha no dice on that one yet... needs a rear motor mount pretty bad. well, it doesnt really even have it lol. when you let off the gas the shifter smacks up against the car and if you accellerate it drops really low. the whole engine flops around just by pushing on it.

Dr_Snooz
03-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Oh. Well. Fix it.

Then drive it and be stoked!!

Hondamonster
03-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Oh. Well. Fix it.

Then drive it and be stoked!!

well i drove it anyways. and i was stoked all the way to the emissions place... then it got no reading on the sniffer at all. turns out theres a pretty massive exhaust leak.
but the tranny is fine, so i guess ill quit posting in this thread. is this where you would put a "build thread" or does that go somewhere else on the site?

Dr_Snooz
03-19-2008, 05:39 AM
well i drove it anyways. and i was stoked all the way to the emissions place... then it got no reading on the sniffer at all. turns out theres a pretty massive exhaust leak.
but the tranny is fine, so i guess ill quit posting in this thread.

Good grief.