PDA

View Full Version : water cooled turbo, how to route water lines?

mykwikcoupe
03-18-2008, 07:01 PM
So Im not sure in what order the water flows throught the honda. Im thinking If I go from the distributor side of the head water line down to the turbo and from the turbo back to the main water pipe on the back of the engine. Sound about right? I dont want to run turbo hot water through the head so i want to make sure this sounds correct.

Thanks guys once again for all the help and knowledge

EricW
03-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Not sure which way the flow is, but I would just use the same loop that the line that goes through the throttle body. If you where some where warmer I would say to just remove the tb from the loop but you may need it in the winter.

mykwikcoupe
03-18-2008, 07:33 PM
the line that feeds thr turbo is like 5/8 hose, same size as the heater hoses. I think I need a larger supply source

lostforawhile
03-18-2008, 07:39 PM
one thing that would help, after the water exits the turbo try to find a compact oil cooler and route the water through it this will dissipate some of the excess heat before it ever goes back in your cooling system. as long as your system has antifreeze in it it won't corrode will act like a heater core. maby you could mount it horizontal where the front beam is off to the side of the motor mount. i believe air flows through the radiator and down if i'm correct

mykwikcoupe
03-18-2008, 07:45 PM
I always use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. i also use a royal purple synthetic water wetter to keep corrosion down to a minimum.

lostforawhile
03-18-2008, 07:47 PM
I always use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. i also use a royal purple synthetic water wetter to keep corrosion down to a minimum.
well running one of those inline with the output of the turbo should help get rid of a lot of the heat

EricW
03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
I thought about the lines being bigger after i wrote that. You can route it in with the heater core also. I searched some and the heater core lines was the other place they said to tie in to the coolant lines.

lostforawhile
03-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I thought about the lines being bigger after i wrote that. You can route it in with the heater core also. I searched some and the heater core lines was the other place they said to tie in to the coolant lines. you could tie into the line feeding the heater core,but it would have to be before the water valve for the heater. remember when the heat is off no coolant flows through the core. only pressure at the inlet of the valve. you could also tie into the line coming out for the return. the pressure side just needs to be before the valve

EricW
03-18-2008, 07:59 PM
You would install a T on both lines from the heater core(closer to the engine) that way the coolant would always be able to flow through the turbo. The valve would still only control the flow to the heater core.

lostforawhile
03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
You would install a T on both lines from the heater core(closer to the engine) that way the coolant would always be able to flow through the turbo. The valve would still only control the flow to the heater core.
thats what i meant i was just saying to install that oil cooler right after the turbo to dissapate some of the excess heat before it got into the cooling system

mykwikcoupe
03-19-2008, 06:43 AM
so that sounds like a good idea. But how do i find out what side is the inlet side and what side is the oulet side without pulling a line and seeing how much water comes out. Im guessing the water line on back of the block is the pressurized side and would feed the inlet side of the heater core?

EricW
03-19-2008, 07:22 PM
From what i read from a flying miata kits directions it said It doesn't matter which way the coolant flow through the turbo. So just find the best way to route the lines and connect them to the turbo where its easiest.

AccordEpicenter
03-20-2008, 02:26 PM
yes thats correct it doesnt matter. I personally dont even use the water cooling, i didnt want the water lines near the hot turbo housing, exhaust, or turbo mani, I didnt want to risk losing one. I saw a guy that had that happen to him one time at the track, it wasnt a turbo water cooling line but it was one that was close to the manifold, not touching, but close

Accordtheory
03-21-2008, 04:11 AM
If you don't connect the water lines, then your turbo slowly cooks your oil.
Just connect them functionally in parallel with the heater hoses. (I would also delete any extra little water lines, the ones going to the IM/Tb/etc) There is excess flow for this, it won't matter if the heater valve is open or closed, there will still be a a press difference across the lines to the turbo either way, it doesn't matter which way the water flows, and there is no need to add any type of extra cooler for the return. The amount of heat added is very small, and will make no difference on the cooling system. The thermostat might have to open 1 or 2% more to compensate, whatever.

lostforawhile
03-21-2008, 04:29 PM
yes thats correct it doesnt matter. I personally dont even use the water cooling, i didnt want the water lines near the hot turbo housing, exhaust, or turbo mani, I didnt want to risk losing one. I saw a guy that had that happen to him one time at the track, it wasnt a turbo water cooling line but it was one that was close to the manifold, not touching, but close
would be rest to run braided AN line are there threaded fittings on the turbo? you are much less likely to melt one of those then a rubber hose with a hose clamp. if they were small enough lines to run AN dash four, that equates to a 1/8 npt pipe thread fitting, i have a stack of extra _4 lines with fire braid and fittings here. you could have a pair for shipping cost. we got rid of a pile of them at work, they exceeded their aircraft shelf life, never even been installed on anything. but the FAA is very ticky. quality braided hose really never goes bad,especially sitting on a shelf with the fittings capped off. their loss my gain. as far as the cooler,it depends on where you live,that cooler would be an easy install and it's just some additional cooling is all.

mykwikcoupe
03-21-2008, 06:37 PM
we typically run in the 50-60 range for most of the year. summer if usually 70;s with some 80; and a very rare 90. Winter/fall is 20's at night to 40's mid day

AccordEpicenter
03-23-2008, 03:47 PM
would be rest to run braided AN line are there threaded fittings on the turbo? you are much less likely to melt one of those then a rubber hose with a hose clamp. if they were small enough lines to run AN dash four, that equates to a 1/8 npt pipe thread fitting, i have a stack of extra _4 lines with fire braid and fittings here. you could have a pair for shipping cost. we got rid of a pile of them at work, they exceeded their aircraft shelf life, never even been installed on anything. but the FAA is very ticky. quality braided hose really never goes bad,especially sitting on a shelf with the fittings capped off. their loss my gain. as far as the cooler,it depends on where you live,that cooler would be an easy install and it's just some additional cooling is all.

still you have to make sure that its not touching or even close to the high heat of the exhaust housing and manifold and downpipe. Itll still burn it if its close

lostforawhile
03-23-2008, 03:54 PM
still you have to make sure that its not touching or even close to the high heat of the exhaust housing and manifold and downpipe. Itll still burn it if its close
oh i know that, this also has firebraid over it.

Accordtheory
03-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Well, somehow every oem turbo car has water lines going to the turbo, so it can't be that hard to do..