PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Vibration

maxsoccerplayer
03-18-2008, 07:31 PM
My car is constantly vibrating when I'm sitting at idle and I feel like this affects my car on top of this being very annoying. I have noticed it idles at 1200 and it starts virbrating harshly. I also have noticed that when I have my lights on, the dashboard goes extremly dim. Also when I turn on things in the car like my heat, this induces the vibrating even more. What is wrong with my car. Can anyone help me?

Demon1024
03-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Unless your sittin on solid mounts that sounds like a very bad thing.
how many miles on it? recently developed this problem or did something happen

maxsoccerplayer
03-19-2008, 08:14 AM
i have 68 k on it, but i have had so many problems with it i feel like the milage doesent matter what things are wrong with the car, today i went to go look at the idle its actually not 1200 its 500. also this only occurs when the car is in drive, when i put the car in neutral or park, the idle bumps up and the vibrating goes away, can you help me? whats wrong with my car?

maxsoccerplayer
03-19-2008, 12:30 PM
i have 68 k on it, but i have had so many problems with it i feel like the milage doesent matter what things are wrong with the car, today i went to go look at the idle its actually not 1200 its 500. also this only occurs when the car is in drive, when i put the car in neutral or park, the idle bumps up and the vibrating goes away, can you help me? whats wrong with my car?

steveko
03-20-2008, 02:33 PM
The idle speed will effect the altenator output therefore the lights will be dimmer.Check the rpm at idle and with the lights and heater on full.
Then check again in gear. Compare them both and see if rpms are within spec.

ChromeMouth.
03-20-2008, 03:05 PM
500 is really low, the only time mine ever idles that low is when it has just been started and put in gear but not revved a little, I'm not sure, but is it carb'd? If so that may need some adjustment. Also theres a rolling knob on the dash on your right hand side to adjust the gauge brightness (I always keep it at full, and doesn't cause any problems or excessive battery drain) so maybe check that.

EDIT: doh, carb section haha

russiankid
03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Your vibrations and low voltage(dimming) is caused by such low idle. Idle should be set at around 1,000rpm for automatic, possibly even higher. This is so that when the car is placed into drive or any gear, the rpms will drop but will not drop far enough such as 500rpm. Lowest lowest that the sticker under the hood says is 750rpm's. You need to raise the idle speed.