PDA

View Full Version : bitchin betty lives

lostforawhile
03-19-2008, 01:39 AM
ok after searching for the voice module forever, and finally finding a useful wiring diagram, i have brought betty back to life. this came originally from a 1981 280zx, she has a distinctive japanese accent,hard to tell in the video, but she def does,she sounds just like the female computer that was always in old japanese movies. so after running wires from the speed sensor,both doors, the fuel warning light, the parking brake and the lights in the car, i will have here hooked up but she works which is a miracle in itself,since she's from 1981. these didn't have electronic voice storage, they have a tiny record inside,that is controlled by an electronic module. so you hear CLACK WHIRRR then the message. takes about 3 seconds for it to start from initiation http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/?action=view&current=S4020337.flv

lostforawhile
03-19-2008, 02:15 AM
oh it's left door open
right door open
brake is on
lights on
low fuel
all with that japanese sounding electronic BOOP!

Civic Accord Honda
03-19-2008, 02:15 AM
:D yay

2oodoor
03-19-2008, 03:42 AM
dude that is awesome!

to bad you can't use a cheap mp3 player, hack the board on it to interface with the Datsun module

Hash_man_Se_i
03-19-2008, 09:56 AM
hahaha thats hilarious... one of my friends has an 86 300zx with the voice module, and it makes me laugh.

forrest89sei
03-19-2008, 10:13 AM
JDM!

Cool !!

AccordB20A
03-19-2008, 11:30 AM
thats super cool. but i would still rather someone didnt tell me off for doing things wrong in my car :P

2ndGenGuy
03-19-2008, 12:36 PM
That's sweet! Did they offer that here too? Or is that really a JDM thing? I'd rock one of those.

forrest89sei
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
^ Yeah There on USDM 280ZX and 300ZX I think

MessyHonda
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
cool idea

lostforawhile
03-19-2008, 01:23 PM
That's sweet! Did they offer that here too? Or is that really a JDM thing? I'd rock one of those.
yea it started on early 81-82 up 280 zx also the 300 zx has a solid state version,they also came on some early maximas and sentras,as a matter of fact i just saw a sentra wagon there with the switch in the center console. so thats an updated version of it. datsuns don't have the switch,but if you see a switch in the center console of a nissan that says on off repeat it has the box.

thats super cool. but i would still rather someone didnt tell me off for doing things wrong in my car :Pwell it's just something unique for an old eighties car, people have forgotten that a lot of eighties cars talked.

JDM!

Cool !! no usdm. the very early ones have the japanese accent, and if you bought a car shipped originally to canada, it would speak french. there are supposed to be ones made for the jdm market that speak japanese,but they are extremly rare and sought after.

dude that is awesome! :)

to bad you can't use a cheap mp3 player, hack the board on it to interface with the Datsun module it has no chip to interface. it's all electro mechanical. it has a circuit board that controls the record player inside of the module and a built in amp, but none of the warnings are on a chip.

^ Yeah There on USDM 280ZX and 300ZX I thinkanswered above.

race12001
03-19-2008, 01:23 PM
lol thats awsome i wouldnt mine having one of them just for kicks but it bet it would get annoying fast

lostforawhile
03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
na,it's limited to two bitches in a row,then it shuts up. so it doesn't keep repeating itself like certain american cars of the same era,with satanic symbols for badges. lol. those ones wouldn't shut up even if you turned the key off. if anyone finds an 82-83 electromechanical one, i can tell you how to hook it up. no guarantee it will work,but it's worth a shot. they are at the top of the spare tire wells in the early 82-83 ish z cars,that would be on the passenger side. rear corner. large black box with ten million wires coming from it. if you pull one be sure to pull the metal bracket, you need it to mount it properly , has to be mounted upright away from areas where it might accidentally get hit. if you drop one of these it's ruined. just like dropping a hard disc.

2ndGenGuy
03-19-2008, 02:14 PM
What car had satanic symbols? I want one! :devil:

Hazwan
03-19-2008, 02:55 PM
thats super cool. but i would still rather someone didnt tell me off for doing things wrong in my car :P

Yeah the usual beeps when the doors open annoy me already!

lostforawhile
03-19-2008, 04:00 PM
What car had satanic symbols? I want one! :devil:the chrysler of course,the original possessed car. the voice system in those in the eighties was one of the worst things ever devised, sounded like a possessed speak and spell. and no way to shut it up.

coope
03-19-2008, 09:06 PM
knight rider ftw

Vanilla Sky
03-20-2008, 07:05 PM
I want to do that now. You keep stealing all the good ideas before I can think of them!!!

2oodoor
03-21-2008, 02:46 AM
"thuuu k ey is in tee niche en the key is in the ignition ignition ignition key is un engine the keeeeeeeeeeee zzz eh indention.." Dodge 400 circa 1982 glorified K series car, ahhh memories

LMAO

lostforawhile
03-21-2008, 04:13 PM
"thuuu k ey is in tee niche en the key is in the ignition ignition ignition key is un engine the keeeeeeeeeeee zzz eh indention.." Dodge 400 circa 1982 glorified K series car, ahhh memories

LMAOok story here, in the early nineties friend of mine had the car from hell:devil:chrysler lebaron cross pen edition convertible. these were the cars that almost put chrysler out of buisness,and it had the mitsushitsu engine too, in addition to the normal every part on the car leaks oil, wierd noises from every point on the car,trim falling off,suspension falling out etc. and low miles to boot, it had the wiring from HELL on this car, and it had the electronic voice, at least datsun got it right and it woked, chrysler didn't. this car wiring was so bad,that when you wanted to start the car, you had to unlock the tilt steering and violently shake the entire colum up and down,while turning the key, if you were lucky in 15 minutes or so it would start, did this from brand new,dealer never figured it out, it also had the electronic top and because of the wierd wiring, it didn't work properly, that is until it rained, as soon as it rained,water would leak past the seals in the car, and get into the wiring,then the top would fold itself down, top would not go back up until it was sunny for a few days. satan has a sense of humor, ok to the voice,this thing had the built in voice, no way to disconnect it except turn off the radio, and it sounded like a possessed speak n spell, the words were screwed up coming out of the speakers so it sounded something" like your dooYYFHHEYYEIIDISKSKDFKDKKD " repeat 100 times in a row, the thing sounded just like a demon. and no matter what you did it was always garbling something. it didn't speak like 3 phrases it must have had a sensor for everything on the freakin car. a few years ago i saw a guy driving a lebaron convertible, it was an absolute downpour, and he was sitting in the rain with the top down, i laughed so hard i almost went off the road. that is one car i hope they crush every last one of them,biggest pos ever made. i don't think anyone in their right mind would ever want to restore one.

lostforawhile
03-21-2008, 04:37 PM
oh i almost forgot,it came with a special PEN, WOOT!! yea i'm gonna run out and buy a chrysler to get a pen with it. i guess the special pen was so you could sign the checks to the tow truck driver or the garage.

lostforawhile
03-21-2008, 05:06 PM
i'm going to take out these inner quarters and hopefully install betty this weeked as well as finish wiring my alarm.

Civic Accord Honda
03-21-2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucm3MuXwq3w

lostforawhile
03-22-2008, 05:43 AM
this one would have driven me crazy, gave you an idea just how computerized the voice sounded on american cars in the eighties,at least mine sounds likea person not HAL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onsJ9i2p3yE&feature=related

lostforawhile
03-22-2008, 06:01 PM
ok she's physically mounted in the car, i made special brackets to mount her behind the inside quarter panels. this is a large heavy module and you need to use the original brackets to mount it, i modified that to make it work. normally you run the speaker wires from the left speaker right through the box, it interupts the speaker for the warning, the problem is the warning isn't very loud. on the circuit board of the box is a relay that switches from radio to voice warning,every time it says something, the coil on this relay is 8 volts while operating, not 12 but close enough to operate a bosch relay. i tapped off of the relay coil and now i have a bosch relay that closes a circuit every time betty talks. i had already installed a 4 pole double throw 12 volt relay in the car for my old wired cell phone. when this relay is energized , it switches both of my front speakers from normal stereo operation, to mono operation with a single speaker level input. i am going to run the speaker level out from betty,through a small powered EQ to boost the volume level, then the output of the eq will drive the front speakers when switched. when i get a switched signal from betty ,it turns on the EQ and switches the front speakers over to it. then auto matically switches them back,should have a nice clear voice warning come out of both speakers. betty is the large box at the bottom of the pic http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4020338.jpg

lostforawhile
03-22-2008, 06:43 PM
i'm glad i saved this module from the yard,it's one thing to put in an electronic module,but another to save something unique like this one with the record inside of it and have a neat piece of machinery in your car from a bygone day. oh if you look at the pic of the module,the top piece of it is the circuit board,and the bottom piece is the record player.