PDA

View Full Version : best engine swap for the money

basadochi
03-19-2008, 04:17 PM
What is the easiest and cleanest looking engine and tranny swap that can be done on a 89 Cord sedan? I am wanting DOHCs and eventually I will turbo it. The car is going to be a play car used for autoX and bracket racing. What kind of suspension parts can I borrow from other cars exp ( spindles, linkages for the rear and tie rods etc.) Any help will be appreciated

turabaka
03-19-2008, 06:25 PM
well.... none of them are easy per say. But the jdm b20 is the most common. Not the ones for the prelude. Has to be the one from the accord. So that one has to be imported. usually from new zealand. there's a couple of people with b16/b18, but you have to get custom mounts for that. so those won't be easy either. There's also a couple with h22's but those are really freaking rare, and really hard to do. So I guess it all depends on how much money and time you're willing to spend on it.

basadochi
03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Where can I find B18? Is an F22 anygood or is it crap? I can get my hands on a intact but wrecked 3rd gen lude but I dont know what motors they have in them? Can you modify the bonnet style hood off of one and get it to fit or is it too big? I think it would be pretty trick.

cubert
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
the lude motor is useless...the f22 is outta the 4th and 5th gen accords (if i remember right, someone correct me if im wrong). Not worth swapping into a 3rd gen. Best bet on a B18 is to look at local junkyards...but definetly start by doing research.

turabaka
03-19-2008, 06:36 PM
b18c comes out of the integra type-r. I don't think anyone here has done an f22 swap. and I thought the 3rd gen ludes came with b20's. Those ones won't fit without custom mounts. they're different from the b20 I mentioned. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

basadochi
03-19-2008, 06:59 PM
there is a 91 prelude in the pick and pull and the motor is SOHC and it has a manual tranny all intact. It also has a bonnet hood that I would like to get and see if it will fit. Is it possible to swap out the SOHC head on the lude motor for a DOHC if it is a B20. Would it be worth getting and swapping it in if I can get it all for less than $150?

turabaka
03-19-2008, 07:19 PM
no not possible. At least not cheaply. The b20 is dohc. so that lude doesn't have it. It must have a f22 or something like that. You could always just build up the A20. I've heard they hold up very well to boost, and you can get decent horsepower numbers.

basadochi
03-19-2008, 07:56 PM
where can I get internals for the A20 cam, pistons, connecting rods, bearings, etc? And where do you guys get your JDM stuff? Im stummped! I read on here that a B series intake manifold would fit with minor modification... will the bigger b series injectors work along with Throttle body?

turabaka
03-19-2008, 08:03 PM
most of the jdm stuff come from new zealand. We've got some members here that live there. They're good guys, and can get you hooked up. look through the trading post from time to time. Also for the A20 turbo parts use the search button, and look in the forced induction section of the performance section. I don't usually go there, since I'm a long way off from even considering a turbo. right now I'm happy with my weber, exhaust, and a couple of other things. It'll smoke just about any ricer that thinks he's fast. lol.

basadochi
03-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Is there a better manual tranny or are they all the same for the A20? Where is the tranny code located? Where can I get internals for the A20 cam, pistons, connecting rods, bearings, etc?

Tomisimo
03-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Well the gold grail is to somehow attach a B20 or B18c gearbox to a A20 boosted engine.. Solid steel block makes it torque engine and hold up to hi boost levels, but our trany is not the strongest link and gear ratio is kinda short.. so..

I was thinking nether a b18c swap or try to attach beater gearbox..

If You want to boost A20, You'll need custom pistons and rods, cam from A18 and its possible to swap valve springs from A18 too I think..

turabaka
03-19-2008, 08:50 PM
can't you also use teg gears, and prelude gears was it, in the A20 tranny. Although I think they're shorter, so not the best for boost.

Chen
03-19-2008, 08:59 PM
j32a from inspire\Acura TL the best engine for swap. 270 HP VTEC, maked for FWD cars... :D

turabaka
03-19-2008, 09:13 PM
dude. That would probably be a huge pain in the ass to make fit, just like the h22's. at least for the b series all you need is custom mounts, harness, and axles. And the mounts aren't even that hard to find if you spend a little time looking. hell someone on the board is selling a set right now.

coope
03-19-2008, 10:57 PM
yall guys r a bunch of noobs ok man u can use b18 rods search it and u can get diamond pistons b18 intake mani 3 angle valve job obd 1 swap will give u the tunablity u want as far as swap b20a out the jdm prelude and accord thats the only easy motor swap u can do and if u swap a f22 thats the same as swaping the h22 u can swap a b series but u neeed custom mounts and harness and linkage ok trans only thing u can do is swap the 1st gen integra gears but keep the accord 5th OR use the 2nd gen prelude fi trans shorter gears talk to 2nd gen guy he did it and its a direct swap. ok that about covers it other senior members will pick up where i left off

coope
03-19-2008, 10:59 PM
j32a from inspire\Acura TL the best engine for swap. 270 HP VTEC, maked for FWD cars... :D

not possibe noob waste of time of course enything is possibe wit money tho

turabaka
03-19-2008, 11:03 PM
^^ I believe I just got done saying pretty much everything you said aside from the b18 rods part, and the specifics about what you can do with the A20. There's no reason to come in here and flame a newbie for asking questions. just tell them to search a give a couple of pointers.

cubert
03-20-2008, 03:41 AM
yall guys r a bunch of noobs ok man u can use b18 rods search it and u can get diamond pistons b18 intake mani 3 angle valve job obd 1 swap will give u the tunablity u want as far as swap b20a out the jdm prelude and accord thats the only easy motor swap u can do and if u swap a f22 thats the same as swaping the h22 u can swap a b series but u neeed custom mounts and harness and linkage ok trans only thing u can do is swap the 1st gen integra gears but keep the accord 5th OR use the 2nd gen prelude fi trans shorter gears talk to 2nd gen guy he did it and its a direct swap. ok that about covers it other senior members will pick up where i left off

wow..you call people noobs then say the same shit everyone else has already said?

You sir, are fucking brilliant.

Tomisimo
03-20-2008, 06:17 AM
wow..you call people noobs then say the same shit everyone else has already said?

You sir, are fucking brilliant.

Agreed to that ^^

knifemind
03-20-2008, 12:21 PM
no not possible. At least not cheaply. The b20 is dohc. so that lude doesn't have it. It must have a f22 or something like that. You could always just build up the A20. I've heard they hold up very well to boost, and you can get decent horsepower numbers.

Just a note...the 3rg gen Preludes with dual carb SOHC, are in fact B20s. I believe its a B20a3, but don't hold me to that.

'A20A3'
03-20-2008, 12:43 PM
it all depends on how fast it has to be. best bang for the buck is a low psi boost setup with good tuning. you could run 10 pounds easily on a stock motor with a good tune. the only thing that suck is that the valvesprings don't like high revs so you gotta keep 6.5 as the redline basically. get some 2nd gen prelude(84-87 i think) valve springs as a quick fix. from a carbed one. not a SI. they're dual springs on the intake and exhaust. good to like 7.5 i believe.

in all, im saying that i think alot can be done with the A20.

it's all in the tune. and how much dough you got to drop on this play car.

turabaka
03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Just a note...the 3rg gen Preludes with dual carb SOHC, are in fact B20s. I believe its a B20a3, but don't hold me to that.

I thought that all of the b20s were DOHC, are you sure that you're not confusing it with an A series motor, because I believe there were some ludes that came with those.

BITESIZE
03-20-2008, 01:07 PM
The b20a3 is SOHC. I've seen one in a prelude before, they are kind of funny looking.

2drSE-i
03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
not possibe noob waste of time of course enything is possibe wit money tho

at least he can form a coherent sentence. I seem to remember someone else making shit up that he doesnt really know about. if he made it fit it would be worth the time...fucking incredible motor.

coope
03-20-2008, 07:47 PM
whatever dude everything that dude ask is on the forum somewhere and i wasnt flaming that wasnt my entent but if u would take ur time and search really really good u can find it and no one said enything about the prelude trans i believe i gave sum valuable info but im sorry if i afended enyone wasnt my intent

cygnus x-1
03-23-2008, 01:00 PM
For bearings, HV oil pump, ARP head/rod bolts, try www.importperformanceparts.net

Most custom piston companies can make you some forged pistons. JE, Diamond, Arias, and Wiseco are a few.

Eagle makes good B-series rods you can use.

Delta, Colt, or "webcamshafts.com" for cams.

for valve springs, OEM springs from an A18A1 (2g carbed Prelude, '83-'87). Try www.hondapartsdeals.com or the local junkyard.

For engine management, do an OBD1 swap or get a standalone ECU if you have some cash. Or put together a Megasquirt with a Ford EDIS crank fired ignition if you are a serious DIYer.

For turbo stuff, check out the turbo forum.

C|

2oodoor
03-23-2008, 02:23 PM
The b20a3 is SOHC. I've seen one in a prelude before, they are kind of funny looking.

:bong::koolaid: