PDA

View Full Version : Letting the 3g exhale better...

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-21-2008, 05:25 PM
I just got my 2.5 inch exhaust and my straight through muffler with its monster 4.5 inch outlet:jaw: put on my LX-I 2 days ago and i have been meening to get some pictures of it but i haven't yet figured out how i am supposed to get them on the net through my aunts computer because i can't save anything on her pc:uh:. But when i do i will post some so you guys can see what it looks like and hopefully i will have a video on you-tube of us flying through Iowa so you guys can hear the mean exhaust note it has:violin: . But as far as performance wise i noticed that i have dropped a little torque in the low rpm's:thumbdn: but i also noted that the mid's and high's have got a little better pull:cheers:. I think the best part is that the throttle is more responsive because it isn't restricted by the wimpy piping that came :gun:stock. It is also probably the most agressive exhaust note i have heard from an 89 Accord around here, and definately attracts attention from Johnny Law:bs:. Pics will be soon though, hopefully by the time the weekends over:toilet:.

gfrg88
03-21-2008, 06:47 PM
:rice::rice::rice::rice:

Civic Accord Honda
03-21-2008, 06:50 PM
post pics and vids :)
imo2.5 is a lil to big 2.25 is best for thes cars

gfrg88
03-21-2008, 07:39 PM
sorry about that... but honestly why so big??? and why such a big muffler?? you dont need all that...

MessyHonda
03-21-2008, 08:24 PM
wow that is huge...are you going to turbo it? because 2.5 inch is too big for a 2.0L engine.

2drSE-i
03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
ya a tad large, probably why u lost some lower range power. Honestly though, its your car, dont listen to these guys if you like it.

Oh the other side of things i love the over-use of smileys

:violin::Owned::wtf::wave::cheers::):huh::welcome: :gun:

newaccorddriver
03-21-2008, 09:59 PM
wow that is huge...are you going to turbo it? because 2.5 inch is too big for a 2.0L engine.

im running 3 inch in my car along with a 3 inch downpipe and its a 2.0L, although it is a skyline:wave:

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-22-2008, 11:11 AM
:cheers: I have been working my ass off to get enough money to pay for my insurance:thumbdn: and stack money to afford parts but once i do i plan on slapping a turbo on after the re-build. My parents are going through a divorce so i am kinda strapped for cash. As for the vids and pics i have to work at 4 today, but i have tommorow off so i will get some pics and vids. Went down under the interstate overpass last night at like 1:00 a.m. and cracked to 6,000 and watched all the porch lights in a four block radias turn on, so i think i am going to get a video under there because the acoustics are obviously immense down there. But long story short, Turbo=Eventually(no $) Pics& Vids=Tommorow(:gun:F*** the corporate world)

turabaka
03-22-2008, 12:36 PM
nice. I'll agree that 2.5 is probably a little big though without mods to back it up. I noticed that I even lost a little low range power on mine with 2.25 until I got the weber put on. So the solution to your problem is more mods. lol

2oodoor
03-22-2008, 02:18 PM
the engine exhaust needs "some" backpressure to help make torque
You may find yourself winding it out all the time just to make it go, until you get something pushing it thru, ie turbo or SC, You have a good start !

turabaka
03-22-2008, 02:45 PM
^^ I hate to argue with you, but it's not backpressure that the engine needs. backpressure is always bad. The exhaust needs to have high velocity. Smaller diameter pipe helps with that because the pressure forces it out, larger diameter pipe decreases exhaust gas velocity. Basically you need to find a happy medium between unrestricted flow, and high velocity. Which on a stock or lightly modded 3gee is about 2.25-2.5

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-22-2008, 07:49 PM
So i just got out of :gun:Red Lobster about 30 minutes ago and i plan on getting a little more"relaxed":squint:, then i will get out on the street and get a good vid from under the overpass. And the reason i went with 2.5 was because of the sound, i wanted it really deep and not the tinny :rice: sound, and because my car already lacks low end(automatic) so i figured i might as well give it the top end because thats really where i need it is at WOT. Anyways enough bsing im gunna smoke and hit the road...:cheers:

Bass Man
03-23-2008, 12:44 PM
For one; why is this in the "Appearance" section??

For two; I will second you on the backpressure.
Backpressure is always a negative, but back pressure brings exhaust salvaging, which is always good. If you could run 3" pipe and keep the salvaging, that would be the best way to go, but unfortunatly you will need backpressure to salvage.

BTW. What muffler are you running?

turabaka
03-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm running a 2.25 inch magnaflow glasspack with a 4 inch diameter tip. I was kinda afraid that it would look to ricey, but it's actually not that bad looking.

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah i thought that the 4" would be a little to big but if you have it hung right it really fits up into the bumper clean. It looks aggresive but not to the extent that i have a folgers can on my exhaust. I dunno it all depends on the muffler too if it is a straight tip or if it looks like a megaphone, i like the straight tip and the blue flamed end approach...

Bass Man
03-23-2008, 05:09 PM
I got a couple of glasspacks sitting around here. How does it sound?? I want an exhaust that stops your heart at start up. No rice, but really deep and powerful in the low range.

I have a turbo muffler I am happy with, but it isn't big enough to create that deep tone.

turabaka
03-23-2008, 08:06 PM
mine is really deep. It's pretty loud at WOT too, but if you're just cruising then I'd say it's no louder than stock. Just a better tone.

Bass Man
03-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I can say that about my Turbo, also^^^

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
i would say that when i start it up it really tends to piss off the neighbors, and makes everyone want to race when i accel but i wouldn't say its over the top, cops thinks so because at a cruise they still mean mug my ass hard core... i personally dont like the sound of a gp on a 4 cyl but its all up to your liking... But i would show the vids if i could figure out how to get them off of my friends phone, damn razors... anyonbe have any help for that?

turabaka
03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
mine tends to be really quiet when I'm just cruising, but I've gotten the "look" from people when I gun it. I had a guy in a vette do a double take on me once. It was kinda funny.

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah dud i had this guy in an early 90's 240 do a double take down on 35th a couple nights ago and he got over and romped a little so i had to get his ass till the light and then he followed me for like a mile until i romped a little getting on the interstate and it inticed him into following which from there we did a 30 onto the interstate and i had him pretty good till his 4th and then he was gone, but i would say i faired well for bieng bone stock and auto against a 240 stick with alot more hp that me stock...

Bass Man
03-26-2008, 09:40 PM
What muffler is it?

imjdoggie
03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
im running 3 inch in my car along with a 3 inch downpipe and its a 2.0L, although it is a skyline:wave:

Nice, lets see some pics. I love Skyline's. I also have 3" cat back on my Z.

rustlude87
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I can't take this cat seriously. Im sorry 89 Lxi you sound like a ricer, along with all the other hundreds in the omaha area.

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I can't take this cat seriously. Im sorry 89 Lxi you sound like a ricer, along with all the other hundreds in the omaha area.:violin:

If i was the type of person that was into the ricer look wouldnt i have rims and a big flashy paint job? Maybe a vinyl or two, and wouldnt i be meeting at abbot every night? I dunno maybe your version of ricer is different from mine but i was looking for sound plus a little performance from an already anemic motor, i think if anyone would understand it would be the people here but obviously you are still doubting my intentions... Maybe i should go get some spray so that i can conform to your views of the Metro area:huh:...

Bass Man
03-27-2008, 12:48 PM
:wtf:
What muffler is it?

thegreatdane
03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
I wouldnt trust my butt dyno for something minor as a bigger exhaust on a stock engine. It's rather the sound fooling you into thinking so. At low rpm the sound is always louder and deep which makes it feel like the car is moving slower.

2ndGenGuy
03-27-2008, 01:25 PM
I wouldnt trust my butt dyno for something minor as a bigger exhaust on a stock engine. It's rather the sound fooling you into thinking so. At low rpm the sound is always louder and deep which makes it feel like the car is moving slower.

+1. I swear my car got slower when I had my exhaust leak fixed. :wave:

AccordB20A
03-27-2008, 04:22 PM
my car was faster with no exhaust aswell

rustlude87
03-27-2008, 05:39 PM
So you go to abbot to street race your car nice! Well I guess, whatever floats your boat its your car. The thing is our car are never going to be good street racing material. You should look into getting a 2.25" you'll have so more mid-range power because that is where these cars shine. They are not like all the other high rev hondas.

2ndGenGuy
03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Yeah you gotta do what you like. If what you like happens to be what other people think are rice, tell em to go take a flying leap. If you like the exhaust, and you like the sound, then thats what counts. :) But you should post pics. :cheers:

Civic Accord Honda
03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah you gotta do what you like. If what you like happens to be what other people think are rice, tell em to go take a flying leap. If you like the exhaust, and you like the sound, then thats what counts. :) But you should post pics. :cheers:
indeed thats why im buying a wing :)

j/k
im not getting a wing but alot of the stuff i do is considered rice and i don't care cuz its my car and if i like something im doing it :)

turabaka
03-27-2008, 07:57 PM

very true. quite a few people have made stupid comments about my car. like "why are you modding an 80's accord. I just brush them off. And yes get some pics.

MessyHonda
03-27-2008, 11:40 PM
very true. quite a few people have made stupid comments about my car. like "why are you modding an 80's accord. I just brush them off. And yes get some pics.

lol....everyone makes fun of me...saying i could of bought a faster car...all i say is...yeah but then a fast car would not be fun....making a slow car fast is better.

turabaka
03-27-2008, 11:44 PM
^^ yep. I love smoking ricers in my 3gee, and even with the small amount of mods I've done to it my car is decently fast.

Bass Man
03-27-2008, 11:49 PM
:wtf:

What muffler is it?..

MessyHonda
03-27-2008, 11:55 PM
^^ yep. I love smoking ricers in my 3gee, and even with the small amount of mods I've done to it my car is decently fast.

yeah i cant wait to finish my intake swap and then dyno tune it...to make it even faster. i got big guys trying to race me...i had a GTO race me...but i could not keep up with it.

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Its an RS type stainless muffler with a blue flamed tip found on Slickcar.com. And as far as the pics are concerned i have given up on the Razor approach and i am now going to use my g/f's you-tube ready camera for easy uploads cuz i am tired of trying to figure out how to upload them even though they are the best vids i have seen and would make the 3g comunity look better compared to the weak ass vids on you-tube. And yes i know what you guys are talking about where people give us shit about trying to make a performer out of older accords, sure theyre not the best performing cars out of the factory, but in their day they suited just fine, no-one realy expects to beat a porsche or ferrari, and i hope that no-one thinks they are going to be in the 8 second range, but what its all about is making the car perform better and more enjoyable to drive right?
http://www.slickcar.com/products/MU_RS330T.jpg

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-28-2008, 02:51 PM
And before you ask, no, the :gun:silencer is not in it and never will be...:cheers:

turabaka
03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
^^ that muffler is similar to mine. Except the tip is freaking huge on yours. I tried to find the smallest tip that magnaflow offered for that style muffler. well shortest anyway. It's still 4" diameter.

gfrg88
03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
sorry bro, but i too think you sound like a ricer...

but still get some pics up... we love pics here, of anything :D

Bass Man
03-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Sweet. Thanks for noticing my post ;)

-=89 LX-I=-*A20A3*
03-29-2008, 01:14 AM
Yeah it looks huge in the picture but fits very nicely into the bumper, it actually sits flush with the lip of the bumper...