PDA

View Full Version : AHHHHH I have a HOLE in my floor.....

New3rdGenOwner
03-22-2008, 10:18 AM
So yeah took a look under my baby yesterday, the underbody was in surprisingly good shape considering its a 1989, some rust here and there but nothing that raised concern....all except for a small part of the underbody, right under the driver side, that has rusted so bad that there is a small hole, id say about the size of a large tomato....only the carpet inside the car covers that hole....so boys can this fixed? If it can just hope its not gunna cost me a arm and a leg

ghettogeddy
03-22-2008, 10:19 AM
ya it can be fixed just have to find the right person to do it

New3rdGenOwner
03-22-2008, 10:23 AM
ya it can be fixed just have to find the right person to do it

Is it pretty much someone welding on new sheet over the hole?

lostforawhile
03-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Is it pretty much someone welding on new sheet over the hole?
it depends on how extensive it is. everything on the bottom of the car needs to be cleaned off,under coating everything,in that area, so the extent of the spread can be determined. usually that section can be cut out and a section out of a junk car could be welded in. talk to cah,if he can find a way to cut out that section in his junk one thats going to the scrapyard, he might sell it to you cheap.

MessyHonda
03-22-2008, 11:55 PM
yeah i would fix it fast because you dont want to be fred flintstone....i i never had to fix a rust hole but i would get the same thickness of sheet metal and weled into place.

forrest89sei
03-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Fred Flintstone 3G would be great, Well great till you hit a Hill, or the Freeway lol

carotman
03-23-2008, 05:09 AM
I do most of my bodywork with old computer cases. The sheet metal is thick enough and you can get those almost for free.

Strahan
03-23-2008, 07:48 AM
I have the same problem. I'm just having my body man cut the cancer out and weld in new panels when he replaces my wheelwells. He said fixing the floor is pretty simple.

cubert
03-23-2008, 08:43 AM
psh..size of a tomato...id say worry about it when smoke comes up through the floor while burning the tires :lol:

New3rdGenOwner
03-23-2008, 10:07 AM
psh..size of a tomato...id say worry about it when smoke comes up through the floor while burning the tires :lol:

Lol

So I shouldnt be freaked out but at the same time dont slack off on fixing that problem

cubert
03-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Lol

So I shouldnt be freaked out but at the same time dont slack off on fixing that problem

yea..dont let it freak you out real bad...but at the same time dont wait to get it fixed because it will spread.

New3rdGenOwner
03-23-2008, 10:22 AM
yea..dont let it freak you out real bad...but at the same time dont wait to get it fixed because it will spread.

Point taken

itzdave
03-23-2008, 04:15 PM
yea, when they fix it, or if you do it, be sure they grind away the surrounding rust, weld on the patch, and then spray it with some undercoating... otherwise it will just rust right thru again.

AccordB20A
03-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I do most of my bodywork with old computer cases. The sheet metal is thick enough and you can get those almost for free.

old computer cases are a godsend when it comes to sheet metal!!!

lostforawhile
06-14-2008, 03:34 PM
eastwood makes a good product that will stop that rust,you need to cl3ean all around it and determine how bad it is, then you at least need to treat it until it can be fixed.

1ajs
06-14-2008, 04:14 PM
old computer cases are a godsend when it comes to sheet metal!!!
agreed!

RECYCLING FTW