PDA

View Full Version : adapt D16zc distributor

2oodoor
03-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Ok I have looked pretty hard for this so here we go

What is necessary to make a B20a run on USDM ECU using a D16 dohc dizzy?
Diagrams welcome!
Can a carbed USDM ecu be used?
Can a carbed dizzy internals be adapted to be used , 0f course not the 88-89 style ..no vac advance
Ok, the project is carbed b20a, I am hesitant to delete accessories so using an aftermarket wheel on the crank pulley may not be first choice.
This may wind up being a FI swap eventually so humor me. :o)

by the way this http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5907 is a good thread, real good.

stat1K
03-22-2008, 11:34 PM
this is a pretty broad question... are you planning on running d16a1 dizzy or d16a9 (dohc zc) dizzy cus the d16a1 has some vac advance models from 86-87... but 88-89 are electronic advance so you'd have to add wires for that and the carbed ecu doesn't have wires for that nor does it have the capability of controlling electronic advanced anything. but you could use a pg7 1st gen integra ecu and it is pretty close to the same wiring in the 3g.

2oodoor
03-23-2008, 03:30 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42105
Not much info, but this is the basic thing Im wanting to do but with some fresh ideas on the topic.
Actually is was a couple of different questions with slightley different directions.
I do a lot more answering of questions on the board than I do asking so I am not good at it.. wink wink
I do not know it all, no where near...so the ecu and dizzy out of a 89 teggy will run it? what about wiring?

stat1K
03-23-2008, 09:27 AM
the wiring is going to be car specific and i don't know a whole lot on the subject of wiring for the 3g... but if you were to use the electronic advance i know you'd have to add wires to the current harness and probably get a connector plug from a teg to add to those wires along with the existing wires. as far as vacuum you might be good to go with a simple repin or new plug but i don't know for sure.

carotman
03-23-2008, 10:11 AM
http://www.geocities.com/honda_club_egypt/b20ain.jpg

Honestly, since you're going to use a carb on the B20A, you only need the distributor out of the 86-87 D16A1. The TDC/Cyl sensor on the exhaust cam is useless to you. The distributor is a straight bolt on part. No need to modify anything.

I wouldn't use the A20A carb on a B20A, it would run too lean and I'm not sure if you can adjust the mixture accordingly Use a Webber instead

2oodoor
03-23-2008, 11:37 AM
^^^^ no way you would ever catch me with that carb on it, no worrys
no less that this would be going on it, preferably more
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/roodoo2/Picture016.jpg
ok to clarify , D16A1 is the USDM Integra carbed or efi? it is a plug and play part using the oem A20A1 BS ecu?

stat1K
03-23-2008, 12:03 PM
why carb though? that's my only question.

2oodoor
03-23-2008, 12:24 PM
^^^
because that will the be the quickest way I can get it on the road and running. Otherwise I will need an efi swap, gas tank, figure out all the splices, etc. which btw I am completley competent to handle, just dont have the time. I came across this complete drop in b20a unit ready to go except operating systems. I would rather be driving it instead of let it sit in the carport until I someday get all the parts together and fab up the wiring. I can gather all that other stuff as I go along.
So it looks like all I need to do is get that teggy dizzy, swap my intake with carb over from the A20, fab up the rear mount, get another short axle, hook it up , fill it up and drive.
To make a prediction...I will start looking for a 38 or better weber set up possibly before I go pulling used gas tanks out of the yard for efi. This also depends on how much tune I can get out of the teg distributor.

carotman
03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
the D16A1 (86-87 integra) is EFI. Just like the A20A, it uses a vacuum advance diaphragm.

if you use this, everything is plug and play.

2oodoor
03-23-2008, 02:46 PM
the D16A1 (86-87 integra) is EFI. Just like the A20A, it uses a vacuum advance diaphragm.

if you use this, everything is plug and play.

Thanks Carotman, Stat1k

MessyHonda
03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
sounds like roodoo will have a running b20 by the end of next week.

2oodoor
03-24-2008, 03:55 AM
sounds like roodoo will have a running b20 by the end of next week.

not that soon, I have to work a regular job then I go home and cook dinner and help the kids with homework and mediate sipling sprawling, and stuff.. cause mommy don't get home till late. Then I have yard work backing up now, I hate yardwork.. spring bah
my car(s) is covered up with yellow dust, pine pollen. I will have to clean everything up to get started. I have a week vacation coming up next month, it will be time then.

AccordB20A
03-28-2008, 06:23 PM
you better be EFI'ing it....

2oodoor
03-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I got the 1 gen integra dizzy at the JY today, 58 bucks,, ouch...
There was a 86 Accord that had an unusual distributor in it, with a metal vac advance and an extra cast bracket from the base to the head.. wierd.. I may go back and grab it to. Anybody ever saw one like that?

other junk yard spottings, just for the hell of it...
A mint pair of Honda ventshades for a sedan, I left them for later, I already have one set.

I saw what I thought was a late 80's Alfa Romeo sedan, I was crossing my fingers it had a nice pair of DCOE's .... nope it was FI but had the bootimus chrome intake manifold plenum tubes that looked kinda "universal" heh heh It was a 93 model, wicked lookng engine though.

stat1K
03-31-2008, 06:42 PM
yeah i was gonna say if you need a electronic advance i have one for a d16a1 but you wanted the other. but i'm curious to see how this turns out.