PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid question

turabaka
03-22-2008, 05:59 PM
So I got the se-i brakes off of Bitesize's hatch, and I think I'm gonna put them on this coming week during spring break. I can hardly wait to have decent brakes. lol. My question is this. What kind of brake fluid do you guys suggest I use? Anyone have a particular brand they like?

snoopyloopy
03-22-2008, 09:54 PM
i do believe i put prestone dot-4 full synth. but i have no idea what was in there previously, and i've never actually flushed it myself.

2ndGenGuy
03-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Any DOT 3 or DOT 4, preferably full synthetic. Motul 600 seems to be known as "the best" around the interwebs. I use Valvoline Synthetic. You can get the really expensive Castrol RBF. But it's like $80.00 bottle. Has a really high wet boiling point though.

MessyHonda
03-23-2008, 12:23 AM
i had to change out my brake lines and master cylinder...so i went down to napa and got some dot 5.1 Napa brand brake fluid...its 17 bucks a bottle...and i used almost all of it...i didnt really do a full flush but i was close to it....so far...the pedal feel really good.....i need to install my legend rear calipers on and il tell you...and il get a real flush this time

DBMaster
03-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I learned something recently that shook my faith in the automotive industry - not really - they are salesman.

I have been using Valvoline "Synthetic" since the car was new. I put synthetic in quotation marks because it's all hype. The glycols in brake fluid are not a petroleum product. The glycols are man-made. In other words, ALL brake fluids are synthetic by definition. That aside, I have stuck with DOT 4 and changed it out every 30K miles just like the manual says. I have never had to mess with cylinders or calipers.

2ndGenGuy
03-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Yes, also speed bleeders are your friend. You'll have the whole system flushed in 20 minutes without any help. Get them at NAPA, it will cost you $20 for all 4 bleeders.

Hauntd ca3
03-23-2008, 12:18 PM
dot 4 would be my pick
consult honda to find out if out systems are compatible with silicon based fluids.
some older systems arnt to good with silicon based stuff as it can cause the seals to swell and then you end up with leaks everywhere.
the dot 4 will put up with the amount of heat most of us will get out of our brakes even during a good hoon
the rest is up to the qual of pads and rotors
if our systems are compatible with silicon fluids, i'd be using that
does not absorb moisture as well as mineral based stuff

turabaka
03-23-2008, 01:37 PM
alrighty then. DOT 4 it is. Thanks for all the help guys.

russiankid
03-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Yep DOT 4 is the way to go. When I did my brakes I used Valvoline Full Synthetic DOT 4 fluid.

2ndGenGuy
03-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Also, a lot of the "synthetics" will say "Compatible with conventional brake fluid."

turabaka
03-23-2008, 08:31 PM
alright cool. On a side note. My engine bay needs a good cleaning. What do you guys use to clean them? Just take them to a self service car wash, spray them down with engine degreaser and rinse it off, or what?

MessyHonda
03-23-2008, 08:45 PM
oh yeah dont let the brake fluid get on your paint...it will mess it up...i cleaned up everything with some brake cleaner...almost used a can...but better to be safe than sorry

2ndGenGuy
03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
I just grab a can of "Gunk" and go to the pressure washer. Hose it down with the gunk and let it sit for 10 minutes, then pressure wash all the grease and crap off. Works fantastic.

turabaka
03-23-2008, 09:20 PM
^^ cool. I'll add that to my large list of things to do this week. So far it's
Swap tinted glass
install disc brakes
put uv led's in my gauge cluster so that I can have lighted needles
swap over part of the door panels from bitesize's hatch
install rear speakers
finish removing rear seats
finish removing sound deadaning
clean engine bay

lol I doubt I'll get all of that done, but who knows.

Dr_Snooz
03-24-2008, 07:39 PM
I just grab a can of "Gunk" and go to the pressure washer. Hose it down with the gunk and let it sit for 10 minutes, then pressure wash all the grease and crap off. Works fantastic.

And don't freak out if the car doesn't start when you've finished. Just sit tight, listen to a few songs & try again after a while. Worst case, you'll have to pull your distributor cap & dry it out.

turabaka
03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
^^ can't I just put a bag over the dizzy and alternator? like a ziploc or something?

russiankid
03-25-2008, 07:32 AM
^^ can't I just put a bag over the dizzy and alternator? like a ziploc or something?

Yes you can. I think grocery bags would work better as they are bigger. Also mentioned above that do not get brake fluid on the paint. This is especially when you will(or not) be swapping the proportioning valve. I placed two paper towels under the valve so I didn't get any fluid on my paint.

BITESIZE
03-25-2008, 07:42 AM

You don't need to cover up anything, just put it on and spray it off.

ZackieDarko
03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
DOT 5.1 is for cars with ABS

MessyHonda
03-25-2008, 06:12 PM
DOT 5.1 is for cars with ABS

works fine for me.

ZackieDarko
03-26-2008, 07:45 AM
works fine for me.

oh it'll work fine it just has different properties...higher boiling point and different viscosity (i think)

i personally use DOT 5

MessyHonda
03-26-2008, 01:33 PM
oh it'll work fine it just has different properties...higher boiling point and different viscosity (i think)

i personally use DOT 5

yeah you are right...what you want is a fluid that will not absorb moister

2drSE-i
03-31-2008, 06:12 AM
to answer your original question, DOT 3 is what is originally is recommended for our cars. DOT 4 and 5 will be fine though.

A18A
03-31-2008, 06:33 AM
ive left brake fluid on my paint to see if it will actually do anything, but it didnt :huh: when i clean my engine bay i use petrol & water & a scrubbing brush :)

Hazwan
03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
ive left brake fluid on my paint to see if it will actually do anything, but it didnt :huh: when i clean my engine bay i use petrol & water & a scrubbing brush :)

I've tried using brake fluid as paint stripper and yes, nothing happens lol.

And lol I used the same method for cleaning my engine bay, some petrol mixed with some soap and scrub away!

A18A
04-01-2008, 05:26 AM
it does a good job doesnt it :thumbup: