PDA

View Full Version : interior color

canadian357
03-25-2008, 04:10 PM
I want to change the color of my interior from red to black, or possibly red to beige. how hard is this to do? and what is involved in doing it? can i use paints and dyes or do i need to buy all new stuff?

turabaka
03-25-2008, 04:46 PM
You can paint it if you really want to. Just spend a lot of time with the prep work. Clean it really well, then lightly scuff it up, and paint. Either use krylon fusion which is for plastics, or use normal spray paint, and do a primer, paint, and clearcoat. Just definitely take your time.

2ndGenGuy
03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I would advise against a clear coat unless you're looking for the really shiny shiny shiny interior. It will be the most durable, but it will kinda look odd in the interior... I just did primer and basecoat on some old faded plastics and it turned out just fine. Durability hasn't been an issue either so far. Make sure to use an adhesion promoter under the primer as well. And like Turabaka said PREP, PREP, PREP! If your stuff is not absolutely clean and grease free your paint will flake and it will look absolutely awful.

I recommend wiping down with acetone and clean white rags after you've done some sanding / scuffing. Wipe and clean until there's nothing left coming off on the towel. Anything that comes off will come off after you paint... Then just before you're ready to spray wipe down again with wax and grease remover and then a tack rag. It's really important and can be a pain on the interior because of all of the silicon cleaners and chemicals people use (think Armor All).

For fabrics, dyes seem to be hit or miss. Never used them myself but from what I've seen around the interwebs, some people love em and some people hate em. If it were me doing it, I would say get new carpet kits to match, have your seats recovered, or buy new covers, and pull a dash of the appropriate color and condition at the junk yard.

For one thing, you'll get new, nicer looking stuff. And for another, theres no worry about dye wearing out or fading. Just my two cents.

turabaka
03-25-2008, 05:47 PM
^^ you can get clear coat that isn't glossy. I know because I used to build miniature planes and cars and crap. I always clearcoated my minis after I airbrushed them. It's not absolutely necessary though. I just do it for peace of mind. If you want to dye the vinyl parts like the dash you have to clean it off really well first. I dyed a dash I bought black so I could put it in my car, and I didn't do a good enough job cleaning it first. So it's coming off in some places. Although I also attribute that to friends that don't pay attention to what they're doing.

86ccord
03-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I would advise against a clear coat unless you're looking for the really shiny shiny shiny interior. It will be the most durable, but it will kinda look odd in the interior... I just did primer and basecoat on some old faded plastics and it turned out just fine. Durability hasn't been an issue either so far. Make sure to use an adhesion promoter under the primer as well. And like Turabaka said PREP, PREP, PREP! If your stuff is not absolutely clean and grease free your paint will flake and it will look absolutely awful.

I recommend wiping down with acetone and clean white rags after you've done some sanding / scuffing. Wipe and clean until there's nothing left coming off on the towel. Anything that comes off will come off after you paint... Then just before you're ready to spray wipe down again with wax and grease remover and then a tack rag. It's really important and can be a pain on the interior because of all of the silicon cleaners and chemicals people use (think Armor All).

For fabrics, dyes seem to be hit or miss. Never used them myself but from what I've seen around the interwebs, some people love em and some people hate em. If it were me doing it, I would say get new carpet kits to match, have your seats recovered, or buy new covers, and pull a dash of the appropriate color and condition at the junk yard.

For one thing, you'll get new, nicer looking stuff. And for another, theres no worry about dye wearing out or fading. Just my two cents.

that was like three cents..

i agree also one rule in painting.. make sure your stuff is clean before you spray if not it will bubble and or flake and look like crap. PREP!!

Hazwan
03-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I just did primer and basecoat on some old faded plastics and it turned out just fine.

Any specific paint to use? Or any regular automotive paint will do?

Tomisimo
03-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Any specific paint to use? Or any regular automotive paint will do?

Yes, Just make sure that Primer is for Plastic..

2ndGenGuy
03-25-2008, 07:42 PM
I used some cheap ass paint that I had NAPA match up for me. They can put any color into a rattle can for you, but I had them put it in a pint can for me. I think it was about $20 for the whole pint...

I didn't use plastic primer, but I did use adhesion promoter which is a good idea if you don't have something formulated for plastics... (likely just has some special adhesion promoters built in). In fact, I used the same paint to paint my valve cover and engine block.

I never heard of the clearcoat that is dull... Pretty sweet.

ghettogeddy
03-25-2008, 07:45 PM
i was thinking of ordering some of the rattle cans they make up to match my exterior just have one color in and out

knarg
03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
geddy, you gotta get that primer white dash outta there

go for a nice stock color!

oh!! p.s. i want that transmission stuff by summer time (like by the beginning of june or so)

MessyHonda
03-25-2008, 09:55 PM

oh!! p.s. i want that transmission stuff by summer time (like by the beginning of june or so)

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

ghettogeddy
03-25-2008, 10:40 PM

i guess you havent heard the car got towed before i could get to it i tried and tried to find a place to pull the stuff but never got a solid place to do it

oh and i have a new dash in my back seat just need to bolt it in

imjdoggie
03-26-2008, 04:56 AM
I got a bunch of interior parts from the junk yard and painted them and it looked great. I used the Krylon Camoflage plastic and vinyl paint. I did no prep work just made sure there was no grease or anything on it and just sprayed it. I would not use the clear coat though. Post some pics when you are done.

canadian357
04-23-2008, 09:40 PM
lol due to my complete lack of money, as sad as it is, im going to have to do this in stages.