PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord wierd engine electrical problem?

timber_cruiser
03-25-2008, 06:06 PM
My 89 honda accord is running wierd lately. It starts odd and seems to stumble at idle, and does not have normal power. I notice that the tachometer jumps when ever I step on the brake, or when the engine fans starts to run.

I rebuilt the carb about a month ago, replaced the spark plugs, cables, rotor and cap. the car ran great until recently. Any ideas on what would cause this?

I checked for vacuum, can't see or hear anything out of place. I am stumped!

Hauntd ca3
03-26-2008, 12:09 AM
alot of cars will gain a few revs when you hit the brakes at stand still and when the fan kicks in
how much does it vary?
get a can of ether (engine start)and spray a we bit at each vac line and gasket between the carb and motor
to pick up leaks

timber_cruiser
03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
The tach RPM swings pretty wild, from 500- 1800 RM. I did try the ether test for vacuum leaks, nothing seems to be leaking.

I think this is an electrical issue, but not sure where. The car is starting to stumble more and run rougher.

Bass Man
03-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Double check your vacuum advance lines.
If you don't need to worry about emmisions, you should consider manuel secondaries and getting rid of anything that can effect idle.

timber_cruiser
03-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I checked all the vacuum lines and carb gasket again with ether. I did not get any indication of a leak.

Whenever I step on the brake, turn on the headlights or blower fan, the tach swings widely and the engine falters.

BITESIZE
03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Alternator is bad, get it checked out. I've had this experience numerous time with the tach jumping like that.

timber_cruiser
03-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Turns out it was a bad distributor. I was about to tear into the alternator, but decided to try a distributor swap first since it is an easy change.

I went from a Hitachi to a Tec I picked up at the junk yard for $25.

It was wierd how the problem came and went erratically. So far so good with the new distributor.

Oldblueaccord
03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the update

I love the mechanical secondaries comment on this thread :rockon:

wp