PDA

View Full Version : New Tires Needed...

CoAsTeR
09-20-2002, 11:17 AM
So like I got these firestone tires with the wheels I bought in february, put 20,000km on them and they are already worn out!?!?

Anyways, I need p185/65 R15 what should I get? I don't want 195/60 cuz I had a set of michelins XGT4 that size and it felt like I had no suspension at all, real bumpy ride. This is a all year vehicle and will be driven in SNOW, yah I'm from canada and its a pain in the ass to get from my igloo to work and back in a snowstorm without proper tires.

Thanks for the help!

:help:

AZmike
09-20-2002, 12:32 PM
Was the wear even? 20 Mm seems way too short a lifetime for anything except super-grippy tires. Have you gotten an alignment recently?

Jims 86LXI HB
09-20-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by CoAsTeR
So like I got these firestone tires with the wheels I bought in february, put 20,000km on them and they are already worn out!?!?

Anyways, I need p185/65 R15 what should I get? I don't want 195/60 cuz I had a set of michelins XGT4 that size and it felt like I had no suspension at all, real bumpy ride. This is a all year vehicle and will be driven in SNOW, yah I'm from canada and its a pain in the ass to get from my igloo to work and back in a snowstorm without proper tires.

Thanks for the help!

:help:

Hmmmmm, kinda sound's like something is amiss with your struts that driving you to look at tires that a quite a bit taller than stock oem. 185/65/15 is 5.4% bigger than stock and your speedo will be off likewise, true 70mph(sorry not metric) will read 74mph.
If your still bent on going tall I looked at tirerack and the Bridgestone RE950 looks good. BTW, oem matches for 15" are 195/55-15 or 205/50-15

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE950&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=865HR5RE950

CoAsTeR
09-20-2002, 05:39 PM
actually I pulled the 13" wheels off that came with the car, slapped the 15" on and I am getting perfectly even wear on all tires. My suspension is stock setup but in mint condition, the car handles like a charm.
I am pretty hard on the gas though, yet I never let the wheels spin or do burnouts. Anyways, its probably cuz I accelerate up and down pretty hard but I would expect the tires to at least last longer even with a little abuse.

What do yo mean by
"BTW, oem matches for 15" are 195/55-15 or 205/50-15 "
OEM matches to what?

thanks for the help its appreciated!!

:wave:

Jims 86LXI HB
09-20-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by CoAsTeR
actually I pulled the 13" wheels off that came with the car, slapped the 15" on and I am getting perfectly even wear on all tires. My suspension is stock setup but in mint condition, the car handles like a charm.
I am pretty hard on the gas though, yet I never let the wheels spin or do burnouts. Anyways, its probably cuz I accelerate up and down pretty hard but I would expect the tires to at least last longer even with a little abuse.

What do yo mean by
"BTW, oem matches for 15" are 195/55-15 or 205/50-15 "
OEM matches to what?

thanks for the help its appreciated!!

:wave:

Well what is that the proper plus sizes in 15" are 195/55-15 or 205/50-15, they are the closest possible to matching the stock tires rolling diameter.

Curious, what makes you sure your suspension is in mint condition? I'd like you to tell me you've given the the car a strut test recently. I say that cause of that you said about how the car rode on 195/60-15's, it shouldn't be that way, especially on a stock suspension and those XGT's don't have the stiffest sidewall's out their either.

CoAsTeR
09-21-2002, 05:46 AM
yah thats true too, I didn't expect such a harsh ride with the xgt's. I just assume the struts are fine because my car doesn't bounce up and down and it handles really well on corners.

195/50 eh? wow that'd be nice to have a lower profile, wider tire but on the other hand I'm back to the 3g plague of having a HUGE wheel well gap from hell. These 185/65 have the illusion of filling up the wheel well gap and some people say it looks lower (not lowered like slammed though).

I'll go get my suspension checked out this weekend and see what I can do.....

Thanks!

:)

ACCORD EX
09-21-2002, 07:41 AM
i tried both good year , dunlop ! they are both good but don't know about snow ! :(

MIKE