PDA

View Full Version : Begining 5 spd swap. Questions?

oline897
03-30-2008, 07:01 PM
I just picked up a complete 89 LX-i for $200, just missing driver door and front bumper and it is in pretty good condition. The guy told me it was an LX but it has the 2.0 FI motor so it has to be a LX-i correct? It has power windows, locks, AC, cruise, sunroof, and rear drum brakes so I'm guessing it's a LX-i. Any way I was wonding if there are any parts that I should replace while I'm doing this and have the car apart. He said it has a new clutch and pressure plate. The car has 160,000 miles on it. I'm swaping it into a 88 LX-i with an auto. Thanks for any help!!

coope
03-30-2008, 07:09 PM
resurfes the flywheel and change the tranny oil

MessyHonda
03-31-2008, 10:40 AM
man 89 lx-i for 200 bucks is not a bad deal

BITESIZE
03-31-2008, 11:01 AM
I suggest removing the whole engine while doing the 5 speed swap. Also keep both cars until you know for sure you have everything you need. Change any bad engine mounts, bad gaskets, etc. Make sure you have at least a full week to do the swap, because you will run into unexpected problems most likely. It's a really easy job, as long as you have a buddy help you, have the right tools, and all the necessary parts. Just take your time and make sure you're doing it right and you will ok! Good luck man! It's worth it after its all done!

oline897
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm have a lift and this makes it much easier. I got the motor and trans out of the donor car this morning and it only has 147,000 miles on it so I'm going to just put the motor and trans in my car to replace my 267,000 mile engine.

ghettogeddy
03-31-2008, 12:15 PM
I just picked up a complete 89 LX-i for $200, just missing driver door and front bumper and it is in pretty good condition. The guy told me it was an LX but it has the 2.0 FI motor so it has to be a LX-i correct? It has power windows, locks, AC, cruise, sunroof, and rear drum brakes so I'm guessing it's a LX-i. Any way I was wonding if there are any parts that I should replace while I'm doing this and have the car apart. He said it has a new clutch and pressure plate. The car has 160,000 miles on it. I'm swaping it into a 88 LX-i with an auto. Thanks for any help!!

all 3gs besides the a18 euro ones had 2.0 carb/fi in them lol could be a lx with fi swap and added sunroof lol
but i doupt it lol

2ndGenGuy
03-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Replace the rear main seal behind the flywheel while you're in there. If you've got a lift, it's super easy to get the tranny out from underneath. Once the bolts are off, one person can lift the 5 speed by themselves. It weighs about 75 lbs. Might wanna have a buddy helping anyways, I've always dropped them out from underneath then jacked up the car and slid it out. Made for an easy job for me without pulling the whole motor.

ghettogeddy
03-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Replace the rear main seal behind the flywheel while you're in there. If you've got a lift, it's super easy to get the tranny out from underneath. Once the bolts are off, one person can lift the 5 speed by themselves. It weighs about 75 lbs. Might wanna have a buddy helping anyways, I've always dropped them out from underneath then jacked up the car and slid it out. Made for an easy job for me without pulling the whole motor.

there 54 pounds lol remember you shipped me one lol

2ndGenGuy
03-31-2008, 02:49 PM
there 54 pounds lol remember you shipped me one lol

Aah yeah that's right. The maximum shipping weight was 75 lbs. :D I knew I was thinking back to the shipping, but I thought up the wrong number. :thumbup:

How's that thing workin for ya? Still running strong?

ghettogeddy
03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Aah yeah that's right. The maximum shipping weight was 75 lbs. :D I knew I was thinking back to the shipping, but I thought up the wrong number. :thumbup:

How's that thing workin for ya? Still running strong?

its got a lil clicking but i have not driven it scenes march of 06 lol well i drove it the other day but only about 1/4 of a mile lol