PDA

View Full Version : Power Issue

zAFW
03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
So during the weekend I installed an Amp and Subwoofer. 1x 700W amp 2x 10" Sub's 700W. Powering one sub is hard on the car, I can just tell the alt is being stressed to generate enough power which is bad.

So... basically my problem is not getting enough power to them.

What should I do?

Should I get a new car battery or should I go to the junk yard, buy a battery there and use that battery to power the amplifier itself. Is that possible or? I don't know what's that called so I don't know how to search for it.

Currently I have a Valucraft, delivers 525 CCA/650 Cranking Amps, I bought it 3 months ago.

What are some decent batteries? an Optima is nice but I can't afford that anytime soon. I'm looking around $100 to spend but if there's a way to make a car battery act like a capacitor I'm there. Any drawbacks to such a system?

Any info helps, thanks guys! :)

ghettogeddy
03-31-2008, 09:59 AM
So during the weekend I installed an Amp and Subwoofer. 1x 700W amp 2x 10" Sub's 700W. Powering one sub is hard on the car, I can just tell the alt is being stressed to generate enough power which is bad.

So... basically my problem is not getting enough power to them.

What should I do?

Should I get a new car battery or should I go to the junk yard, buy a battery there and use that battery to power the amplifier itself. Is that possible or? I don't know what's that called so I don't know how to search for it.

Currently I have a Valucraft, delivers 525 CCA/650 Cranking Amps, I bought it 3 months ago.

What are some decent batteries? an Optima is nice but I can't afford that anytime soon. I'm looking around $100 to spend but if there's a way to make a car battery act like a capacitor I'm there. Any drawbacks to such a system?

Any info helps, thanks guys! :)
i was running 2700 watts on my stock charging system with no prob sounds like you have eather a bad alt a bad batt or a crappy amp
or it could be the wiring lol

i was runnign a batt i got a wallmart for like 60 bucks that was 800cca and 110 crank amps and 2.5 fared caps
the caps help alot but arent there to support the charging system

jenkinsauto
03-31-2008, 10:12 AM
First Thing I Would Do Is Upgrade Your Charge Back Wire From Your Alt..the Honda Has A Small Wire That Charges Your Battery,i Used A 4 Gage Wire And Ran It From The Alt To The Battery.so The Power Is Always There.helped A Bunch And Now My Headlights Don't Go Dim When The Bass Hits..try It Cost About $10.00.

zAFW
03-31-2008, 10:43 AM
i was running 2700 watts on my stock charging system with no prob sounds like you have eather a bad alt a bad batt or a crappy amp
or it could be the wiring lol

i was runnign a batt i got a wallmart for like 60 bucks that was 800cca and 110 crank amps and 2.5 fared caps
the caps help alot but arent there to support the charging system

I would hate it being a bad alt, it's hard taking that crap out. Anyway I'm going to check the wiring, could be something on my part which probably is hah. If not I'll stop by kragen or something and have the alt/bat checked out.

But man! Actually, running that amp off a car battery itself is a good idea. To charge the battery I could use one of those solar panel things I saw Kragen sell. Though the only thing I would need to know about is how to stop it from overcharging and stuff. It's a peace of mind to me since I won't have to worry about the system you know?

Anyhow just some thoughts.

jenkinsauto:

I'll have to take a look and see where that wire is, sounds like a good idea! ;)

zAFW
03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
I fixed it.

Turns out that the red wire I used was the culprit. It wasn't connected to the battery very well. I don't know what I was thinking. Now I got both the 2 10" subs workin' with no problem.

Thanks guys! I would have thought buying a new battery would have solved the problem.

ghettogeddy
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
I fixed it.

Turns out that the red wire I used was the culprit. It wasn't connected to the battery very well. I don't know what I was thinking. Now I got both the 2 10" subs workin' with no problem.

Thanks guys! I would have thought buying a new battery would have solved the problem.

you might still want to look into a like a 1 ferid cap they help with the bass alot