PDA

View Full Version : im done searching!!!!!!

devo
04-01-2008, 05:09 AM
i know, i know. use the search. ive been searching around this site for weeks and i just cant seem to figure out exactly what tranny's fit my 89 lxi automatic. could somebody throw me a bone. my motors only got 85,000 on the clock but my body is shot. id do a 5 speed swap but i dont want to hunt down the parts. its a commuter i have a silverado to haul my dirt scooter so i dont want to spend a fortune on just keeping her running.

I have to say it shifts fine but it grinds going into drive after i reverse down my 200' downhill driveway.
it doesnt grind just going into drive on flat ground straight from reverse to drive.
It also has another little problem when i get it around 55 mph (4th gear?). its like it doesnt want to stay in overdrive, its hard to explain. all i can say is i can get it there and up to around 2500-3000 and if i let off the gas a little the revs go up and when i push back on the pedal the revs go down like it wont stay where it needs to be. any ideas would be very helpful.

im very mechanical (i know i didnt make it sound that way, but i wanted to be easy to understand) ive been racing dirtbikes for years and im a blue collar machine operator. so lay it on me! thanx:wave:

2drSE-i
04-01-2008, 05:41 AM
no transmissions will fit onto your engine other than the ones our cars come equip with. Honda was very vehicle specific back in the 80's haha. Welcome to the site man, enjoy your stay

2oodoor
04-01-2008, 06:21 AM
sounds to me the throttle valve cable is definatley out of adjustment, may be your only problem.
Yes the grinding will come from that thing being either froze stuck, the lever stuck or dirty so it cant move freely, or it is out of adjustment. The other thing about not staying in lock up most certainly is the cable.
You may need to change the fluid too
any tranny from an A20 Accord 86-89 will fit, the 89 has stronger internals though.

justpassntime
04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
I would have to agree with the previous post. It's most likely the cable that runs from the throttle body to the transmission. There is a little lever down on the front of the trans this should move the same time the throttle cable moves, if not adjust it. Mine was doing the same thing and this 5 minute adjustment took care of it.

ghettogeddy
04-01-2008, 04:17 PM
sounds to me the throttle valve cable is definatley out of adjustment, may be your only problem.
Yes the grinding will come from that thing being either froze stuck, the lever stuck or dirty so it cant move freely, or it is out of adjustment. The other thing about not staying in lock up most certainly is the cable.
You may need to change the fluid too
any tranny from an A20 Accord 86-89 will fit, the 89 has stronger internals though.

dont forget the gearing dif between carb and fi

devo
04-01-2008, 10:31 PM
thanks, i know of the item your talking about, and while changing the fluid today found it moves very freely. So it very well may be out of adjustment. new fluid made it feel better and shift better.

2oodoor
04-02-2008, 03:15 AM
dont forget the gearing dif between carb and fi

on automatics?

devo
04-02-2008, 09:17 AM
ok, so i checked the throttle valve cable and seems to be working as it should. i neglected to mention this is not the original transmission. it was replaced by the previous owner (my dad). i also forgot to mention it looks like it has been dropped or damaged as there is a big old patch of epoxy on it right behind the passenger side wheel. so i think its just damaged but it works for now. im going to be searching for an auto transsexual, uh, i mean transmission.

keep me in your thoughts and let me in on any if you see em.

2oodoor
04-03-2008, 06:56 AM
on that adjustment, on my car at least, just one or two threads on that adjustment down by the transmission, makes a big difference.. very sensative

custom
04-03-2008, 07:32 AM
hey hey hey yall forgot to mention a thread that was posted some time ago. i remember it was an accord a20 turbo drag car that did a integra tanny swap but a custom plate was made to fit around the block that went from factory hookup to swap hook up. i saw it, its possible. unless your going under 10sec like this car i wouldnt bother. gears was really needed after looking at this massive turbo a20 fully decked drag car

itzdave
04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
hey hey hey yall forgot to mention a thread that was posted some time ago. i remember it was an accord a20 turbo drag car that did a integra tanny swap but a custom plate was made to fit around the block that went from factory hookup to swap hook up. i saw it, its possible. unless your going under 10sec like this car i wouldnt bother. gears was really needed after looking at this massive turbo a20 fully decked drag car

hmm... i wanna say that guy was using an A20 tranny with a turbo B20, but i could be wrong...

and yea, im pretty sure(i dont feel like searching) that the trannys had slightly different gearing ratios from the carbed to EFI trannys... i know the manual trannys do, but im not too sure about the autos.

oh yea...:wave: welcome!!!

2drSE-i
04-04-2008, 04:48 AM
nah hes talking about Johnny O's B Series tranny adapter. He had that custom made man, pretty tough to do im afraid. Once you get to high over 200 hp youll start breakin trannys (not to mention other stuff...)

devo
04-04-2008, 09:11 AM
it seems i cant get any of my wrenches to work in this small area. i either have to find a smaller wrench or take the battery tray out, that will be a pain. when you say threads are you turning the nut 1/8 , 1/4 turn or less?