PDA

View Full Version : home made exhaust

ianjk46conv
04-01-2008, 05:59 AM
well, i'm a noob on this forum.. I've read through a bunch of previous threads looking for some of my answers and have come to some conclusions. I own an 89 se-i which is running alright. When I rolled my truck I had to get something right away, so I found this car, with 185,000 miles for 600 dollars. I've had it for about a year and a half and so far I'm at 208,000. I've replaced the starter, altenator, plugs/wires/rotor & cap, air filter, fuel filter, sterio and speakers(had to re wire the whole car), changed trans fluid, upper control arms(ball joints) and bushings, brakes, and a battery.. I think that's it. Anyway, the exhaust is a whole different story. I've tossed the cat and flex pipe because they were leaking, and now the resonator is leaking. I tried patching that up yesterday, and let it sit over night to heal. If that doesn't work then i'm going to start from scratch. Can I just run a flex pipe and muffler? If so, I would like to purchase a round 4-5" muffler, don't care how long it is, and I would like it to sound as quite as possible. Also how long is the factory flex pipe?? My car shakes now that I don't have that on there, the whole exhaust is falling to pieces. Thanks all, happy according.
Ian

2drSE-i
04-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Welcome to the site man! SE-i Nice find man! Leather in decent condition? anywho, to answer your questions.......well i cant really answer them because i honestly dont know. Your best bet is to buy a muffler and flex pipe online and get it welded up at a local exhaust shop. Where are you located at?

ianjk46conv
04-01-2008, 06:52 AM
someone took the leather seats out.. it's in horrible condition. It wouldn't be worth it to fix either. I'd wrather try and find another one. Who ever had it before me didn't have a clue what they were doing, especially electrical. It was a nightmare. I've got it running well though. I live in upstate new york, lots of rust. Thats another reason i have this car, so my mustang can stay in the garage for the winter. plus, the accord is more comfy and a little better on gas. shoot, my sound system is better in the accord too! I have boston acoustic 6x9 in the back and 6" in the front with an alpine CDA-9831 head unit. Impressive sound with a decent price... Anyway, I went on jegs.com and found exhaust tubing, mufflers, flex pipe, you name it! A couple of my friends weld for a living, so I will go that route. It would be great if someone could tell me the factory length of flex on their exhaust system. If I redo the whole exhaust, I might do the flex, and replace the resonator with a round muffler and after the first bend cut it and let it flow out in front of the rear tire like a roush mustang....haha... let me guess, your thinking :wtf: right? yeah, everyone I've talked to at work have said the same thing. It must be a mustang owner thing... sorry. By the way, I'm not an idiot when it comes to japanese cars, my first car was a crx with plans of a b18c1, but I was in hs and money was tight. I prefer the jdm look of imports, no rice for me..

ianjk46conv
04-01-2008, 07:03 AM
and the exhaust idea is because i'm deciding to be a cheap ass because i'd wrather spend money on the stang and bike, not because i think it'll be cool.

ghettogeddy
04-01-2008, 07:29 AM
you had to re wire the whole car cause the stock system was a bose system

also you got rear disks you suck

ianjk46conv
04-01-2008, 08:00 AM
anyone know how long the flex pipe is on their car? or did everyone just cut theirs off too?

MessyHonda
04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
just get a custom one. that is what i did

i have a header that came with no flex pipe so i used my stock one...not sure if it helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/DSCF3101.jpg

ianjk46conv
04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
i'm just going to get a 10 in flex pipe from jegs.. 30 dollars. 2 1/4. i'm going to weld in 2.25 piping to and out of the muffler.

turabaka
04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
sounds like a plan. That's what I did. 2.25 inch pipe with a magnaflow muffler and cat.

ianjk46conv
04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
what does the resonator do?? keep it quiet?

turabaka
04-02-2008, 09:54 AM
It's supposed to change the exhaust note by getting rid of any raspiness.