PDA

View Full Version : 87 LXi Hard Cold Start

justpassntime
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
I have a 1987 Accord LXi that is extremely hard to start when cold without starting fluid. Will start anytime during the day until it sits all night long.

Things that have been checked/fixed:

idle control valve-replaced
timing off one tooth-fixed
injectors-replaced
cold advance solonoid-checked
distributor-rebuilt
coolant system bled

What's left?

ECU?
Sensor?
Throttle body?

Any ideas or anyone else had this problem?

2oodoor
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
one thing is for sure, you won't have to worry about it too much longer if you keep using starting fluid ! Best way in the world to spin a bearing. Careful with that stuff :)

Try NGK plugs
Ignition coil, coil wire, spark plug wires
fuel filter
fuel pump and sock filter in the tank

It is not likely those other three things you mentioned, ECU would be last resort after assuring those tune up items are freshed up.

justpassntime
04-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I did also put a new fuel pump in it, thats how I got the car to begin with.

Haven't tried a fuel filter.

Are there any check valves in the fuel system that may be bad?

Demon1024
04-01-2008, 11:50 PM
talk about a timely post! i just searched for "Cold starting problem" and tada! very top!
I think my filter is the issue but thought i'd check for other reasons. tried the coil. got extras if you want one justpassntime PM me

2oodoor
04-02-2008, 11:25 AM
the coil sends a negative polarity signal that goes to the fuel pump relay, if the coil is not functioning properly it will shut the fuel off via the relay, this can cause the cold hard start symptom too

justpassntime
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I changed the fuel filter. It idled faster than it did before so I had to readjust the idle speed. Must be getting more fuel flow. I did check the fuel pressure before and it was right where it ought to be, so maybe volume was a problem as well.

When you first turn the key you can hear the pump run but that may not mean anything either.

Will check to see if it will start in the morning. If not will check the coil output.

Then after that maybe the throttle body.

Wait to see.....

Oldblueaccord
04-04-2008, 01:19 PM
What type fuel pump?

Im betting that the check vavle that is in the stock set up is not there or faulty. There is some one else with a post here about the Walbro pumps loosing pressure. I'm guessing they dont have one for some reason.

Best way to check this is verify that you have fuel pressure cold before you try to start it.

The only work around I can think of is to key the car on and off a few times to let the relay work, activate the pump and let it build up pressure. The start it.

Otherwise maybe one of the temp sensors is bad giving the ECU faulty readings. This usually causes a flood sit. which you dont seem to have.

wp

justpassntime
04-04-2008, 08:53 PM
It's a Carter fuel pump. What I have been doing is turn the key try to start(and it doesn't), turn the key let the pump build pressure numerous times then eventually it will start then dies then starts up again sputters then smoothes out and has a high idle and slowly warms up like it should. It's just that initial start in the morning.

I am thinking too that it may be the air temp sensor in the intake that could cause it too. Haven't had time to work on it. But don't want to change too much all at once or I won't know what fixed it.

Thanks for the input, I will have to check these sensors too.

Should it hold fuel pressure all night in the fuel rail or will it bleed down?

nsstech
04-06-2008, 11:33 PM
It's most likely your coolant temperature sensor. Mine has a tough time idling cold but if it's warm it will fire right up. You can't normally find the sensor in auto stores, straight through the dealer is the route I'm taking. Search it up, quite a few others have had the same problem. I am willing to bet it's that.

Demon1024
04-07-2008, 02:39 PM
changed the pump/filter started on the 2 crank! yeah!
my coolant temp sensor did just the opposite when it went hard hot starts didn't know it could go both ways

justpassntime
04-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Heres an update:

I have eliminated every sensor that could posibly cause this problem. The fuel pressure regulator o-ring was worn out so replaced it. Still no real improvement on the start. Had a new set of injectors so I put them in. Nothing yet seems to help. Checked the distributor and resealed it, no effect. New NGKs, checked the gap, it was good. Coolant sensor and air temp sensor were good. I checked for residual fuel pressure after sitting over 6-8 hours, there was leakage but no pressure. New fuel filter, just looks better than the old one. This all leads me to believe that the new $145.00 Carter fuel pump is garbage and is allowing the fuel to drain back. How do you drive a car back to exchange the fuel pump without having one installed in the car?:violin: