PDA

View Full Version : Is it supposed to be hard to shift into 5th or Reverse?

OptimusPrimeSr
04-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I have a manual transmission and have noticed that it is noticeably harder to move the shift knob to the right (when going into 5th or reverse). Is this "working as designed" or is there something wrong with my car.

please let me know if I'm not explaining this in enough detail.

ghettogeddy
04-02-2008, 12:57 PM
mine has a hard time getting over there to but i rarely use 5th and the lil i use reverse it dosent bother me lol

russiankid
04-02-2008, 01:06 PM
It is normal because you don't want to accidentally engage reverse even though it won't let you.

w261w261
04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
You are pushing against a spring detent, but it isn't "hard." Mine is getting harder over the years, I figure it's probably a bushing or a grease issue. I've bought new bushings, but that's about as far as I've gotten.

Civic Accord Honda
04-02-2008, 01:33 PM
whats 5th gear ? lol

but yeah its normal mine is like that too when i try to shift to reverse

2oodoor
04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Sounds like everybody else has broke trannys . LOL
Sure it is a little more effort over there on the fifth reverse side but if you noticed it getting worse you probably should.....
I would check the clutch adjustment, it may not be fully disenguaged when you mash it in. Also when you change the oil, things get to moving a lot LOT easier, I was amazed at the difference it made in my 86 when I changed the oil in the tranny after replacing the CV axle.
It could even be very low on oil from a gradual leak, that is what makes you lose 5th like mr Dark Accord keeps doing because he doesn't put oil in his > LOL J/K

turabaka
04-02-2008, 03:37 PM
man. Mine is really hard to shift into 5th. I have to lean into it. I think part of the problem may be the short shifter I've got on it, but should it really be that hard to shift into 5th?? What causes that problem, and is it a cheap fix or something I can add some grease to to get it moving better?

frantik
04-02-2008, 05:17 PM
no it should be just as easy as the rest..

2oodoor
04-03-2008, 03:19 AM
no it should be just as easy as the rest..

true
you should be sure you cross the neutral gate clean and clear when going into fifth, don't try to just jam it in diagonally. i just got into the habit of doing that, I had a Plymouth Roadrunner with a pistol grip shifter that would get hung up if it was not shifted streight across neutral.

OptimusPrimeSr
04-03-2008, 07:47 AM
cool. it makes sense that it should be slightly more difficult to remind you not to stick it in reverse while doing 60mph.

i live in atlanta, so not using 5th is not an option since to get anywhere requires traveling on a highway.

tranny oil was replaced < 3k miles ago.

Its not hard, just noticeably more difficult. Once I cross the horizontal threshold (from between 3rd and 4th to between 5th and R), the vertical motion (going up into 5th or down into R) is normal and easy.

sounds like my car is working as designed.

thanks all.

snoopyloopy
04-03-2008, 09:10 PM
mine is a little harder to go into 5 and r grinds sometimes if i don't shift it 1 first (which grinds if i don't shift into 2 first, lol). but i can just shove it into 5 diagonally almost as easy as i can shove it up into 3.

Nafs Asdf
04-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I haven't noticed any trouble with the 5th on mine, but I got to do the same thing with shifting into 1st before reverse. And it's sometimes near impossible to get it into 1st if the car is still, if it's moving even a little it goes in like nothing. It doesn't grind, it just won't go in... If I forget to shift to 1st before the car stops completely at a light for example I usually use the 2nd to take off with, unless it's enough downhill to get the car rolling a bit.

2oodoor
04-04-2008, 03:06 AM
mine is a little harder to go into 5 and r grinds sometimes if i don't shift it 1 first (which grinds if i don't shift into 2 first, lol). but i can just shove it into 5 diagonally almost as easy as i can shove it up into 3.

LOL that doesn't even sound like a Honda, are you sure that isn't a RWD nissan or something else?
j/k

Toneloc5145
04-04-2008, 07:20 AM
I guess my transmission is in good shape because my car shifts smoothly into every gear, including reverse, though there is a little bit of resistance moving into fifth. It feels almost like its spring loaded. No grinds though. You guys need to change out you transmission fluid, it really does make a difference.

Hazwan
04-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Funny that I'm experiencing the same problem with my 1g where its a little harder getting into 5th. Any other gear is fine, but I need to replace my shifter bushings. Its getting loose lol.

Civic Accord Honda
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
lol every older honda iv driven dose that XD