PDA

View Full Version : Whats beater? Shocks choice...

Tomisimo
04-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Please say Your opinion's out of Your experience..

My dilemma is whats beater? The:
KYB GR2 Shocks or
Bilstein HD Shock

Kyb is cheaper thou..

ghettogeddy
04-03-2008, 12:16 PM
bilsteain but there kid of expensive lol
600 for a set lol
you forgot tokicos lol thats what i have and they do me good

2drSE-i
04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
a beater is whats referred to as an old, shitty car thats used to get you from point a to point b

w261w261
04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey Tomisimo:

Look at this page, which a 3G member has used to put up suspension alternatives:

http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/How_to_upgrade_your_suspension

I have revalved Bilstein shocks with Eibach springs. I'm *very* happy, but I had to revalve the front Bilsteins twice before I got to the right setting. But now it's perfect. Not the cheapest though.

Once you get the 3G suspension sorted, it's a really good-handling car. I also have front and rear sway bars, since it's an SE-i (same setup as LX-i plus rear discs). As long as absolute power is not required, I've surprised quite a few other cars on the twisties.

Tomisimo
04-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey Tomisimo:

Look at this page, which a 3G member has used to put up suspension alternatives:

http://3geez.wiki-tv.com/How_to_upgrade_your_suspension

I have revalved Bilstein shocks with Eibach springs. I'm *very* happy, but I had to revalve the front Bilsteins twice before I got to the right setting. But now it's perfect. Not the cheapest though.

Once you get the 3G suspension sorted, it's a really good-handling car. I also have front and rear sway bars, since it's an SE-i (same setup as LX-i plus rear discs). As long as absolute power is not required, I've surprised quite a few other cars on the twisties.

I was thinking about rebuilding whole suspension from the ground up, all washers, bushings, sleeves, bearings, suspension alignment components, control arms, sway bars, and big brake upgrade. With some Prelude, 4G mod's and so on.. Because I determined to having my car in the long run, and as all knows that car which handles beater than original is priceless..

Hash_man_Se_i
04-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Will you be running lowering springs? coilovers? this will make a difference... If you're running stock ride height, either will do just fine, the Bilsteins are a better shock, but i doubt you would notice a huge difference.

and like said above, the tokico's are also a good option.

Tomisimo
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Will you be running lowering springs? coilovers? this will make a difference... If you're running stock ride height, either will do just fine, the Bilsteins are a better shock, but i doubt you would notice a huge difference.

and like said above, the tokico's are also a good option.

Yeah.. going to drop her by 1,5" no more.. Thinking about H&R springs. The reason for is because in Norway there is not legal to drop more than 1.5" or 40mm.. the TUV restrictions is strong her so, no Coilovers, all thou its legal. I just dont see the point in them besides of lowering in summer and lift it in the winter..

edit:
but i doubt you would notice a huge difference. Dont be so sure, I drove lots of cars, moodet and upgraded. so I feel car driving over a cigarette button :D and roads here is like a serpentine, unlike American straight forward..

turabaka
04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
^^ hahahaha. man you should try Idaho roads or Colorado roads. They aren't straight. Nice and twisty. It's places like Kansas where it's all straight. But in the Rocky Mountain areas the roads have a ton of turns.

Tomisimo
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
^^ hahahaha. man you should try Idaho roads or Colorado roads. They aren't straight. Nice and twisty. It's places like Kansas where it's all straight. But in the Rocky Mountain areas the roads have a ton of turns.

Agreed.. Mountain areas do have twisty roads, Norway is more than 1000mils long and mountains occupy all most whole country.. They say in the rest of europe that best drivers is from norway, and one of the most exiting roads found in Norway or Alps/Switzerland.. Anyways this thread is not about roads but about feel of suspension on the tire mack..

87LXiR
04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I havent tried KYB but i may give them a try when i buy new struts as they do have a reputable reputation and their price is reasonable. Im currently running Tokicos on stock springs and am happy with them as they do firm up the suspension. No experience with Bilsteins but the sheer price of each strut is what scares me away :nervous:

86nlife2go
04-04-2008, 03:56 AM
I say Bilstein's....go big or go home right?

Oh, and can you please use the word better in place of beater? I'm not a grammer teacher but when I see beater I also immediately think of an old shatastic car. Yours looks pretty cool.

fogged
04-04-2008, 07:09 AM
You can get those jap ajustables. They are like 800 a set.

Tomisimo
04-04-2008, 09:06 AM
I say Bilstein's....go big or go home right?

Oh, and can you please use the word better in place of beater? I'm not a grammer teacher but when I see beater I also immediately think of an old shatastic car. Yours looks pretty cool.

LoL :D They also say "If You going to f*ck, f*ck a Queen"

Anyways, I think I made up my mind, I'll go with Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks with full KYB made bushing set, Uper and Lower.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I would get the bilsteins revalved then, at least the fronts... Or buy my Koni's ;) .... I had H&R springs on Tokico HP shocks, and found the front end to be a bit bouncy at times when going over large bumps or dips in the road. The spring rates of the H&R are excellent, I live right near the mountains too, and I would recommend something a little better for the front. I found the rear end to be quite stiff with the tokico's, but the front could have been better.

Tomisimo
04-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I would get the bilsteins revalved then, at least the fronts... Or buy my Koni's ;) .... I had H&R springs on Tokico HP shocks, and found the front end to be a bit bouncy at times when going over large bumps or dips in the road. The spring rates of the H&R are excellent, I live right near the mountains too, and I would recommend something a little better for the front. I found the rear end to be quite stiff with the tokico's, but the front could have been better.

In what condition Your Koni's are? do You sell all 4 or just two?

Hash_man_Se_i
04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
I only have the front two, which are brand new never installed. I am waiting on my new suspension before I post them in the trading post though. Shouldn't be long.

Tomisimo
04-04-2008, 09:57 AM
How much do You want for them?

MessyHonda
04-05-2008, 09:03 AM
tokicos are the best performance for the money but if you want a car you can go and run some autocross it will be konis

w261w261
04-05-2008, 02:05 PM
The really nice thing about the Koni's is that they can be adjusted to the springs that you'll be using. The Bilsteins are great also, but they aren't adjustable, except by the factory, at I think $ 65 each. I didn't know all this before I installed new Eibach springs and Bilsteins. Imagine my disappointment when the car started bouncing up and down on the front! I bought another pair of Bilsteins (I couldn't leave my car without anything for a month), paying to have them revalved to what the factory recommended and what had been posted here (but was not quite right), and paying to have them reinstalled. It was close, but still a little bouncy. So I sent the original pair back again for another revalve, and fortunately, they are now perfect. Total cost of my research:

Original cost: 4 Bilstein HD Shox.com $ 379.00
4 Eibach Pro-Kit springs 225.00
Install above: 300.00
Another (2) Bilsteins, revalved to 300/100: 360.00
Install new Bilsteins 120.00
Revalve original Bilsteins to 110/340 incl shipping 170.00
Install these when they came back 120.00
Sold the 300/100 Bilsteins to member here -140.00
---------
Total Cost $ 1,534.00

So if you are going to install Bilsteins or any non-adjustable shock, try and find someone that has the exact shock/spring combo that you are going to buy. For instance, my setup works great, but with another set of springs, my Bilsteins probably would be off. RESEARCH SUCH AS MINE CAN BE EXPENSIVE! But at least it's done.

Bear in mind the revalve is only for the fronts. The rears are fine stock, because the Eibach springs are actually softer than the original. I don't know why this is, but they're fine. Some others that have gone with stiffer-than-stock rear springs have been sorry, as the rear passengers bounce off the ceiling with bumps.

Hauntd ca3
04-05-2008, 07:15 PM
i think kyb do an adjustable shock called agx?
have seen them advertised but dont know anyone that has tried them
anyone here know bout them?