PDA

View Full Version : A20A3 N/A Build

gfrg88
04-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Well guys I'm trying to get back into the 3geez scene... I miss my old bitch...So lately ive been looking around for some really cheap 3geez, non running of course, so i could rebuild.

Okay, so lets get onto the good stuff :D

For some reason I can't remember or find if we can use b-series pistons or not?? :confused:

Well this wat I have planned:

Head
-Delta 282 cam regrind
-A18 springs?
-Full PnP
-Exhaust replace intake valves?
-"Custom" intake mani (have plans to mod the stock one)
-F22 TB bored out (are H22 TB same as F22?)
-ARP head studs
-5 angle valve job
-adjustable cam gear-golden eagle

Block
-LS Eagle H-Beam rods
-b16 pistons?
-King tri-metal bearings
-ARP rod bolts and main studs

Light flywheel(not sure which on yet)
Teggy hybrid tranny conversion
custom header
2.5" custom exhaust
obd-1 conversion-Crome
MSD 6A Ignition box
MSD Blaster SS coil
RC 310cc injectors
Solid motor mounts
90-93 Aluminum radiator?
clutchnet clutch-red kit
custom short shifter

Can't think of other things right now. But please, please give me some more ideas guys!! I am really, really wanting to do this over the summer. Give me ideas. Im trying to get the best for cheap... everyone that now me knows im cheap and ghetto :lol: but I'm going to try my hardest to do this the right way and still keep the cost down. Anyways, post away whores!!!

TIA :rockon:

forrest89sei
04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
First Off, Do you plan to run from the cops again in this car?

If so you want top of the line shit

gfrg88
04-05-2008, 09:06 PM
First Off, Do you plan to run from the cops again in this car?

If so you want top of the line shit

:rofl: no dude.... i did that when i was like 18... i think ive matured a little since then and im not that stupid anymore. Ever since then, ive only raced at the track... so yeah, not trying to make crazy power here...jus trying to have a stock lookng car and not much to look at in the engine bay, just want people to think its got i/h/e but have some really nice power :)

so yeah any other suggestions??

MessyHonda
04-05-2008, 10:43 PM
sounds sweet....dont forget to get an adjustable cam gear.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-05-2008, 11:26 PM
JE pistons maybe?... I remember the 11 second lude with the a20 was a JE sponsored car.

If you're going to do a full NA motor build, I would also look at upgrading things such as an aluminum rad from a 90-93 teg, and you'll also want a pretty good clutch.

MessyHonda
04-06-2008, 05:43 PM
get the clutchnet clutch.....i have a red pressure plate with a kevelar sprung hub disk....and it grabs hard......you will brake an axle before the clutch starts to slip

gfrg88
04-06-2008, 09:27 PM
yes, i forgot clutch and radiator....added to list :thmbup:

anyone else?? can we use stock b-series pistons???

76racing
05-02-2008, 06:16 AM
where can i get a adj. cam gear for a a20?

gfrg88
05-02-2008, 07:49 AM
where can i get a adj. cam gear for a a20?

by searching ;)

damn, i guess i should update this. i got a block and head from the jy. its supposed to run and its got low miles but ive got no car to try it out on... and im low on funds right now :sadwave:

76racing
05-02-2008, 07:56 AM
golden eagle will only make em if u order 50.

2drSE-i
05-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Hmm. i believe its the b18 pistons that fit, but you might as well get some good forged ones made by Diamond. Have them made with flat-tops and have a machine shop cut out the valve reliefs. End result, an A20 with actual valve reliefs, instead of four cut in on a 3 valve per cylinder motor...

2oodoor
05-02-2008, 08:14 AM
ii LIKE THE RADIATOR idea, do they connect in the same spots?

gfrg88
05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
ii LIKE THE RADIATOR idea, do they connect in the same spots?

probably not, but it really shouldnt be that big of a deal.

gfrg88
05-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Hmm. i believe its the b18 pistons that fit, but you might as well get some good forged ones made by Diamond. Have them made with flat-tops and have a machine shop cut out the valve reliefs. End result, an A20 with actual valve reliefs, instead of four cut in on a 3 valve per cylinder motor...

well i know the b16 pistons fit in the ls block. i had them in my teggy and ran damn good. i would love to get some forged flat tops from diamond, thats my last option. but im trying to keep it somewhat on the cheaper side.... i guess ill jus have to try it out for my self and find... hopefully i can get some real progress on this soon....

MessyHonda
05-02-2008, 11:54 AM
pistons and head work is what makes power....some guy had like 10.7:1 and made like 170 hp

stevearino80
10-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Well guys I'm trying to get back into the 3geez scene... I miss my old bitch...So lately ive been looking around for some really cheap 3geez, non running of course, so i could rebuild.

Okay, so lets get onto the good stuff :D

For some reason I can't remember or find if we can use b-series pistons or not?? :confused:

Well this wat I have planned:

Head
-Delta 282 cam regrind
-A18 springs?
-Full PnP
-Exhaust replace intake valves?
-"Custom" intake mani (have plans to mod the stock one)
-F22 TB bored out (are H22 TB same as F22?)
-ARP head studs
-5 angle valve job
-adjustable cam gear-golden eagle

Block
-LS Eagle H-Beam rods
-b16 pistons?
-King tri-metal bearings
-ARP rod bolts and main studs

Light flywheel(not sure which on yet)
Teggy hybrid tranny conversion
custom header
2.5" custom exhaust
obd-1 conversion-Crome
MSD 6A Ignition box
MSD Blaster SS coil
RC 310cc injectors
Solid motor mounts
90-93 Aluminum radiator?
clutchnet clutch-red kit
custom short shifter

TIA :rockon:

just to clarify, the TB from the F22 bolts on the A20A3??

Tomisimo
10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Sounds nice, but I would go to basics first. like Balanced crank, ported top exhaust and inlet, valves you already thought of, B18 gears, Well thats all I can think of besides said above.
hope this helps

labeledsk8r
10-16-2008, 10:14 AM
sounds like a fun build, havent reallly seen anyone doing full N/A builds for a while everyone is wanting the boost

87SIA20A3T
10-16-2008, 03:20 PM
can't you put a A18 head on a A20A3-A4 with any machine work? I would think that that would bump compression up

gfrg88
10-16-2008, 07:48 PM
can't you put a A18 head on a A20A3-A4 with any machine work? I would think that that would bump compression up

yes. it actually bolts right up...

damn, i totally forgot about this build lmao... i have the engine still but i think its all fuked since its been sitting outside and has been rained on and crap... im too into my cb7 now :D

but still when i get rich im gonna build me an all motor beast for the track ;)

MessyHonda
10-17-2008, 12:43 AM
yup im down to build an a20....after getting a ride in openloops car...164whp...NA...made me want to stick with an a20....he said he keeps up with the gsrs

rjudgey
10-17-2008, 05:12 AM
I thought he sold that car??? Hope not as i really liked it.!!

Mine was able to leave GSR's behind but had a better power to weight ratio!!

The secret to unleashing cheap power from these engines is not so much the pistons it's all in the head!! Yes increase in CR ratio will help but if on a budget then just use new set of Honda A20A3/4 pistons they are pretty good and will be ok upto 8k rpms but you will have to bore out the cylinders a little more to give em room to breathe when they get hot and expand this is what i've found kills them!! Obviously go for the biggest you can get so .5 or 1mm oversize is ideal. Stock rods again are fine upto 8k rpm you can get them stress relieved and polished and even reusing the rod bolts i have found to be fine as long as they are lowish miles and not been abused. Just have everything balanced and matched. With some block decking and head skimming the with A20A3/4 pistons you can achieve anywhere between 10:1 to 10.5:1 CR ratio just depends what you do to the head you can go as much as 2mm off but if something happens to the head it's gonna be scrap!! So if you stick a load of money into it for headwork you don't really want to max it out on the skims incase you damage it or have it taken off as it's overheated etc.!! So realistically around 10:1 is more achievable maybe bit more if you take .5mm off the block instead!! and then 1mm off the head. Also depends howmuch you take out the chambers when you unshroud the valves, SI valves is a good start but i would ask them to do custom valves with 32-33mm inlet valves, and 37mm exhaust valve. This will give you much more flow and will work a lot better with high duration cams from like Web cams. With a 280 cam engine should be capable of pulling power upto 8k rpm with not too much loss in mid range power something higher than that will give you more top end and revs but then the bottom end may not like it too long and also you will have nothing below 4.5-5k rpm. Even a good 270 degree cam will give you excellent all round power and high revs in a well flowed head with big valves.

Oh and also can everyone vote for me on POTM on preludepower.com ASAP thanks Rich.

cygnus x-1
10-18-2008, 07:47 AM

You can do that and get a small (0.5 maybe?) bump in compression, but then you would have to use the stock A18 intake manifold and crappy dual bike carb setup. It may sound cool but it's not. Otherwise have fun building a custom manifold.

C|

2oodoor
10-18-2008, 04:31 PM
hrm I thought it was putting an A20a5 on a A18 block with different pistons

MessyHonda
10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
I thought he sold that car??? Hope not as i really liked it.!!

i should call him to see if he has it.

rjudgey
10-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Roodoo what are you trying to achieve with your car and engine??