PDA

View Full Version : Summer wheel plans

Nafs Asdf
04-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Well the snows almost all gone around here, so time to think about my summer wheels. Problem is that they're not in that good shape, a lot of scratches and corrosion, so I was thinking I'd sandblast and paint 'em.

Here's what I'm planning to do.
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7941/wheelew8.jpg

I'm just wondering how I could keep the polished look on the outer parts of the rim, but still get rid of all the crap. (that part being the one that has taken most hits)

ghettogeddy
04-06-2008, 10:30 AM
just tape them off real real good
also dont spray the paint real close uses several distance sprays you have less running that way

Nafs Asdf
04-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the tip.
What I'd like to know tho is that won't the polished part be all gray and boring after I blast it? What would I need to do to get it all shiny again?

ghettogeddy
04-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the tip.
What I'd like to know tho is that won't the polished part be all gray and boring after I blast it? What would I need to do to get it all shiny again?

is it polished now just polish thye shit out of it till you get the shine you want

Dr_Snooz
04-07-2008, 08:28 PM
is it polished now just polish thye shit out of it till you get the shine you want

That sounds like work! LOL

ghettogeddy
04-07-2008, 09:16 PM
That sounds like work! LOL

not if you have a buffer lol

Nafs Asdf
04-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Yah, I did some research on polishing aluminium. Don't really have the time, equipment nor nerves for that, I'll probably just paint the lip silver instead. Won't need as much maintenance as having them polished either.

thegreatdane
04-09-2008, 08:51 AM
It's pretty easy actually, you just sand the lip with gradually finer sand paper and finish them with very fine wet sanding paper. To make them shine you polish them with aluminium polishing paste like "Autosol" if you have any of that over there. To keep the polished look you can clear coat the rims.
And a little tip, if you have access to a bench lathe you can put the rim into that so it spins the rim while you only have to hold the sand paper steady. Saves a LOT of time and gives it a better finish.

2ndGenGuy
04-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Also you can get one of those "powerball" things they sell at Autozone and shove it in the end of your drill. It comes with "aluminum polish" and does a good job for minimal cost and effort. I used it on my trim rings, lugnuts and centercaps.

ghettogeddy
04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Also you can get one of those "powerball" things they sell at Autozone and shove it in the end of your drill. It comes with "aluminum polish" and does a good job for minimal cost and effort. I used it on my trim rings, lugnuts and centercaps.

they only really work well on the non cordless kind

Tomisimo
04-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Dont think the sandblasting is a good idea!! because sand is hard stuff and it will leave marks on the rim, and after you paint it with gloss paint, it will look mate. If you ever going to sand blast rimps, use Glass blasting, glass sand instead og regular sand.

Nafs Asdf
04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I've read something like that somewhere. I guess I need to get that glass sand stuff to do it with.

Looks like I don't have to hurry tho, weather around here can't seem to make up it's mind. We got almost 10 cm of snow last night... 3rd time now that the winter had a relapse.