PDA

View Full Version : ecu/fi fuse

headbanger
04-06-2008, 06:50 PM
hi my friend has an 89 prelude 5sp. that keeps blowing the eci/fi fuse under the hood.some1 told him they thought it was the ecu.also he said he was going down the road and the headlights got real real bright then just shut off and wont come back on.he dont have an internet connection so i told him id check an see if any of u guyz had heard of this be4.if so id appreciate any help thx alot.

Dr_Snooz
04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Ack! Wiring problems. Run away!!

Could be just about anything: loose contact, short circuit, too much resistance in your fuse connectors, etc., etc., etc., etc...

The only way to find it is to grab your shop manual, your test light and your crimp set and start tracking those wires through the circuits, looms, relays, switches, and whatever else they run through.

Ugh. :barf:

carotman
04-08-2008, 06:30 AM
If the lights went realy bright, it could be from the voltage regulator.

headbanger
04-09-2008, 06:48 PM
he also said he heard popping and there was smoke came out of the clock,s hole (i noticed he has been wiring in a stereo.)

Dr_Snooz
04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Aaahh!! :eek:

Actually, that might narrow it down some. Check over all the wires you've been disturbing. Sounds like one of them is shorting against something. That would create a massive current draw and blow fuses all over. Hopefully, you will find an obvious break (blackened wire) or something. If your buddy was just yanking wires around, he might have broken something inside a loom. The wires are so old on these cars that I handle them like fine china. I soooooo hate wiring problems that I don't want to be digging through a loom looking for the wires I broke.

Hope that helps.

headbanger
04-13-2008, 10:04 AM
thx ill check that out im thinkin about offering to buy it but i just dont know i realy dont need another headache.my accord has just started smoknig when i first start it up i thinks i have to replace valve seals that should be fun (lol) thx for the help.:cheers: