PDA

View Full Version : New here , Auto tranny leaking Question

jakeyfz
04-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi,
I have a 1989 accord four door so I think it is an LXi. I just moved to NC from PA so I had an 8hr ride. The tranny was always a little sketchy (shifting hard). But after the trip down it started to get pretty bad. It was not always shifting and once didn’t even go into gear for a second. So I just changed the fluid. I drained it and put the plug back. And about a week later filled it with 3.2 qt of drexon ATF. I didn’t drive it till I filled it. I took it out for a spin and it felt better. Not excellent but at least the way it did be for I left PA. But I pulled in my drive and looked under the car and there was almost a qt. of tranny fluid leaking on the drive way. So I thought maybe I didnt get the dip stick on tight enough. So I tighten it and filled it and took it out again. I get back and same thing happen. Now there are two little trails of tranny fluid going around my block, into my development and up my drive way. I can see it leaking out of a hose when it is runnig. If you look at the tranny from the engine bay you see the dip stick and alittle above that there is a large bolt in the tranny that holds in a line it goes from there to the bottom of the radiator. What doe s those lines do? If I disconnect the line will anything but tranny fluid come out? Thanks a lot for any help.

2oodoor
04-08-2008, 12:26 PM
tranny cooling lines, they go in the radiator but do not mix with the radiator coolant, there is just a tube inside the radiator that lets the fluid cool then returns to the tranny. A must have to keep the tranny alive. You won't get the best shifts with regular Dexron, Hondamatic fluid is recommended.
I would at least use a synthetic stabilizer made to add to Dexron II (III)

Dr_Snooz
04-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Those cooler lines get old and brittle and start to seep. Go to Kragen and buy some bulk hose and replace both lines. While your at it buy some decent hose clamps, because OEM Honda clamps area real PITA.

Theoretically, an auto tranny isn't worn out until it starts to slip. Try changing your fluid every 20k miles or so and it should clean up the shifting.

jakeyfz
04-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Yep the clamp was loose and I must have pushed the line off of the connection to the tranny trying to work my hand through that jungle of hose’s to the dip stick. And that little washer for the Honda clamp fell off. I bought some of the castrol import type tranny fluid to change it again but it is not leaking anymore.
Thanks A lot guys