PDA

View Full Version : pcv valve

buzzbomber88lx
04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
hey guys i used to be on here many moons ago and just picked up an 86 lxi sedan today. it has some problems and could use some help. i know my old lx had bad piston ring lands and was causing it to smoke out of the valve cover and this car is smoking but differently. there is oil on the air filter and i have no clue where the pcv valve is and its probably never been changed. could that be the problem or any other ideas? it runs good but smokes and it idles funny when in park and neutral. it revs to like 2k on its own and drops to 1k and keeps doing that. my guess is either the map sensor or tps, but im used to working on toyotas and have no clue. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2oodoor
04-08-2008, 12:29 PM
PVC is under the intake on the transmission side, There is a black box looking thing (oil separator) just up from the oil pan and the pvc is in that tube rising up from it.

buzzbomber88lx
04-08-2008, 03:06 PM
ok. any idea on the high and strange idle? the little plastic idle adjustment isnt doing anything to the idle.i put the car in gear and it tries to die.

Dr_Snooz
04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
This keeps coming up. Check your IACV screw and your coolant level. If your coolant is low, you'll need to bleed the system properly.

buzzbomber88lx
04-09-2008, 08:23 AM
well the coolant is full. iacv is on the drivers side of the intake manifold with the plastic idle screw correct? like 3 vacuum lines connected to it?

buzzbomber88lx
04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
ok i replaced the pcv valve and it didnt do a whole lot to fix the smoking issue. i also got the idle down to normal but it chokes out and dies on the smoky oil being recirculated through the tb. i changed the plugs also because they were toast. anything else that could be causing the smoke out the valve cover? i dont think an oil change could fix it could it? it seems to have a miss also but the car sat for a long time so my guess is bad gas or fuel filter needs changed.

2oodoor
04-09-2008, 03:01 PM
ok i replaced the pcv valve and it didnt do a whole lot to fix the smoking issue. i also got the idle down to normal but it chokes out and dies on the smoky oil being recirculated through the tb. i changed the plugs also because they were toast. anything else that could be causing the smoke out the valve cover? i dont think an oil change could fix it could it? it seems to have a miss also but the car sat for a long time so my guess is bad gas or fuel filter needs changed.

yes to all that, and check the pvc housing plumbing, could be vaccuum leak there, also the vacuum feed hose for the pvc could be stopped up at the source.
Oil return holes on top of the head could be sludged over too.

buzzbomber88lx
04-09-2008, 03:10 PM
pvc line that runs to the intake should have vacuum from it when you pull it right? i pulled the hose off the intake and nothing happened. the pvc housing is under the intake correct? do i have to pull the intake manifold to get to it? that sucks. i'll pull the valve cover whenever it stops raining and check the return holes and the baffle and clean it all up and change the oil. it has a fram filter on it and i know how much fram blows so thats going in the trash. i just hope the rings in this motor isnt toast like my old 88lx even though i only bought the car for 150 bucks.

cygnus x-1
04-10-2008, 07:31 AM
You pulled the PCV-to-intake hose off and nothing happened? That line is supposed to have vacuum on it. Pulling that line off without plugging the port should make the car either idle really high or not even run at all, since it would create a huge vacuum leak. Put your finger over the port and see if there is any vacuum. If not then it's plugged up. If there is vacuum then the line to the PCV valve is leaking. As long as the PCV-to-intake line is connected and not leaking, the PCV housing won't have any effect on how the car runs. It may leak oil everywhere but it will run the same. This might help:
https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts_list.php?hp_queried_components=0&hp_series_id=370&hp_series_model=ACCORD&hp_series_year=1986&hp_series_door_ext_grade=4DR+LXI&hp_series_transmission=4AT&hp_series_slsareacd=KA&hp_system=A&hp_component=E++08

Lots of smoke from the valve cover pretty much means only one thing though, and that's bad rings. It might benefit from a Seafoam treatment though just to clear it's sinuses.

C|

buzzbomber88lx
04-12-2008, 09:52 AM
the smoke has gotten better. i got some seafoam i'm gonna put in and see if it makes a difference and i can finally pull the valve cover off and check the return holes and baffle since its not raining or anything outside. i'll keep you updated.

buzzbomber88lx
04-14-2008, 06:40 PM
well i found that my car was only running on 3cyl. cylinder #1 is dead and the cause is a dead injector. tried cleaning it and nothing worked. looks like i need to find a set of injectors. i put my stock 3s injectors in and they work but its 375cc injectors and way too much fuel and the fuel rail wont bolt down with them because of the grommets that the stock injectors use. i changed the oil and the smoking isnt near as bad and it might be a normal amount of smoke but the dying out is probably from only running on 3cyl. i'll keep you all updated.