PDA

View Full Version : Front sway bar, yes or no?

Catalyst
04-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Well I'm going to be ordering my ST sway bars here pretty quick, and I wan't some opinions on what I should get. Originally, I just planned on getting the set, the front and the rear. But I have heard some people say that a bigger front sway bar is less beneficial as it causes oversteer? Is this correct, what do you guys think? Should I just stick with the rear, or get both? The car is an LXi hatch, so it already has stock bars.

What are your opinions on this?

forrest89sei
04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Well From What I've heard The Front End Will Feel TOTALLY Different with the ST Front, and yeah it might oversteer a bit

I'd Stick with a Rear for now unless you save ALOT in shipping for both

Hash_man_Se_i
04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Well technically speaking... the vehicle would tend to oversteer more with a stiffer rear end and softer front. So, just adding the rear will tend to push the car to oversteer a bit more.... Having both, I can't say for sure what it will do, I have heard it makes the steering feel more stiff, and the vehicle may still tend to lean towards oversteer a bit more...

I have the set, and should be installing it this weekend if all goes well with my inspection on friday.

Catalyst
04-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Forrest, the place I was looking to buy from has free shipping no matter what I decide to go with, so thats no biggie.

Hash man, let me know how the car feels after you get yours installed.

Any more input would be much appreciated!

frantik
04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
man i need to get off my ass and install mine :rolleyes: lol and our cars have natural under steer so stiffening the suspension will even out the car. if you make it too stiff it might over steer i suppose but i dunno if sway bars alone will do it

Hash_man_Se_i
04-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Will do. I am planning to throw on the tokico/h&r setup along with the sways if I pass inspection.

forrest89sei
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Well I was talking to Carotman today and he has ST's and his oversteers he says

rustlude87
04-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Always put front and back on. When I put my front koni on the lude it was much better it the turns, and a lot more grip.

Vanilla Sky
04-08-2008, 08:52 PM
If you have the money, get both. Personally, I'd get just the rear and save the cash. The front can always be ordered down the road.

MessyHonda
04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
i installed my front ST bar and i love it....i didnt install my rear one because i ordered a 4th gen bar....get both...they are both tuned to the car.

2drSE-i
04-09-2008, 06:05 AM
the car is built with UNDERsteer. A stiffer rear bar will cause OVERsteer so it will balance out. If you order a front ST bar for our cars, and a fat-as-fuck rear 4g bar, id say your car would be over-all pretty well balanced.

Personally, i have front and rear ST bars, made the car feel amazing! Really seemed to stiffen up the steering, i dont really feel any understeer at all any more

Catalyst
04-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Awesome, thanks for the input guys. Looks like I will be getting both the front and rear.

I've also been reading up on the addco sway bars, which seem to be a better option that ST bars. If I can locate those instead, should I but them? I would assume that the addco bars being thicker would be better.... but it seems they are rather rare nowadays.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Ya I'm pretty sure the addco were discontinued a while back, but from my understanding, if you don't plan on running rear discs, the rear addco bar is the way to go... the ST bar is still bigger in the front i believe

2drSE-i
04-09-2008, 01:12 PM
the ST front bar is the same size as the addco front, but the addco rear is larger, but doesnt work with rear discs. If you want a larger rear sway bar with rear discs, go with 4g rear.

MessyHonda
04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
ericw managed to run rear disks with the addco rear...look up his thread on that.