PDA

View Full Version : Workin on the ole honda

partyharty
04-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I have got a 87 Lxi and I have recently got a new job. This new job will entail me driving approx 200 miles a day (100 each way). Since the honda tends to get good gas mileage (at least when compared to our other vehicles) I have decided to fix it up and drive it.

We have already put quite a bit of work into it (new half axles on the front, new tires, new battery, new tie rod ends, new exhaust from the cat back etc). Basically the only known problems are the air conditioner (dosen't get cold), paint, and I would like a new suspension setup.

However I noticed today when I was driving that I smelled exhaust, I popped the hood and noticed that it was leaking where the manifold and the engine links up (at least thats what it looks like).

So how hard is it to replace this? (I am guessing that it is a manifold gasket that is blown). On some vehicles I have had this is simple and on others it is a lost cause.

Another question is could this be the reason that I was having problems with my engine hunting (while running it will go up and down between 500-1500 rpm).

Dr_Snooz
04-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Just to clarify, are you smelling exhaust or burning oil? My guess is that your value cover gasket is leaking oil. It's about $20. It would also be a good idea to change your distributor O-ring too. It's about $3.

The idle issue is pretty common. Check your idle air control screw and your coolant level.

86ccord
04-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Just to clarify, are you smelling exhaust or burning oil? My guess is that your value cover gasket is leaking oil. It's about $20. It would also be a good idea to change your distributor O-ring too. It's about $3.

uh yeah i had to do it.. it was pretty easy just depends on how you do it.. really.. but yeah.. it could be effecting your idle also.. idk you will just have to replace it and see whats up..

partyharty
04-09-2008, 05:24 PM
It could be oil, I cant really see down in there so I am not positive (it smells like exhaust to me). There is some oil crud built up on the engine so it could be burning it off.

I will tear into it tomorrow to see.

Thanks,
Chris

Demon1024
04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Check your fast idle screw (on the back of the intake man. near the throttle body) for the idle thing, it could be your exhaust leak throwing of the o2 sensor, but id check that first unless you can confirm a leak there. you'd be able to hear it at that point, might just sound like ticking but if you can smell it it's probably louder. The exhaust mani is harder to get off than you'd think because of the Egr hose going to it. it has a tendancy to not want to come off. try soaking it in Pb blaster overnight

2oodoor
04-10-2008, 02:58 AM
At 200 miles a day, you can surely afford to put money in this car and still come out way ahead. Even buying another car that gets good mpg would not be as atttractive option since you have to compare that cost to what you would pay in fuel plus the additional car over the next six to twelve months. (ok so Im done preaching to make sure you stay hooked on 3geez. lol)
Yes I would say make sure it is not oil burning off you are smelling, if it was exhaust you would have some pretty significant sounds right there at the manifold.

race12001
04-10-2008, 06:40 AM
yea if it is your exhaust it would sound like a 5hp brighs and statton with a straight pipe lol i know my header came lose from my head one time

partyharty
04-10-2008, 01:54 PM
At 200 miles a day, you can surely afford to put money in this car and still come out way ahead. Even buying another car that gets good mpg would not be as atttractive option since you have to compare that cost to what you would pay in fuel plus the additional car over the next six to twelve months. (ok so Im done preaching to make sure you stay hooked on 3geez. lol)

You don't have to preach to me. I have seen the light :wave:

Seriously though I have decided to keep it and use it simply because I have it and right now cars with good gas mileage seem to be in demand (and thus more expensive at the lots). I have decided to keep it, now I am just going to work to make sure it does not leave me on the side of the road :thumbdn:

I didn't have a chance to tear into it today, we had a heck of a storm come through and it washed out several of the roads to our house. Since I would be working on it outside I decided to wait a few days for everything to dry up some.

Thanks for all the advice, at least I have a good idea what to look for.