PDA

View Full Version : Holy asscrackers, what happened?

canadian357
04-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I need some quick answers. I had a 20 minute stop-and-go rush hour commute, halfway through said commute my rpms jumped to 1700 in drive when i was stopped, and at the end of the drive i put it in park only to see my tach jump to 3200. I tried turning my car off and the engine started violently rocking, to the point where people across the street were staring at me, and kept doing so for a solid 60 seconds before i tried turning it back on again. There was no starting sound, it just jumped back to its 3200 rpm state as if i had changed gears. finally i turned it off again and it rocked for 2 minutes before it stopped. i tried to pop the hood to see if anything was obviously broken and noticed that it was covered in an oily mystery fluid. so i have:

1. Violently rocking engine
2. Ridiculously high RPMs
3. A car that doesnt really turn off
4. A mystery leak.
5. 200km to a tank of gas (i forgot to mention that)
6. A car that takes 3 or 4 tries to start in the mornings at +5 degrees celcius.

Does this sound like an expensive fix? If it sounds like its gonna be more than 250 or 300, please tell me, so i can shop around for a new car. I drive A LOT. I really need to know because i have to pay insurance friday so if i cancel now theres no penalty.

canadian357
04-09-2008, 05:16 PM
By the way, its an 88 LX carb 4 dr.

steveko
04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Vaccum Leak,sticking on fast idle.or cable and linkage binding or needs cleaning and lube.

Plenty of info on this site about it. Research and you will find the answers.

Actually, It's at the carb tech page.

Oldblueaccord
04-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Its called "run-on" or dieseling. Its casued by the high idle with the carb to start with. It really sounds like a classic case of vapor lock even.

Back in my day we would try to see how long we could keep the motor going after you shut it off just pumping the gas and letting is diesel on. Ah the good old carb days, you really brought back some memories.

wp

2oodoor
04-10-2008, 02:07 PM
what ever you do don't do what blue just said^^^^ lol
your's is the common problem of the Honda carb.. There are a dozen things that will cause it but they all relate to the fast idle and throttle controller. I just removed it all from mine until I got a 32/36 weber kit. Changed the whole demeanor of the car, I love it.
Search, you will get a better idea of what it is.

I would not do that "lets see how long it will run on run on"
with an OHC engine, it is funny though. It will run backwards and dump oil out the carb or the weakest vacuum port. That sounds like a fun thing to do to a late 70's AMC or GM vehicle or a Ford Granada POS. LOL

88Accord-DX
04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
I totally agree with the 2 previous posts, the carb is causing the dieseling along with who knows what (thermovalve, 40 feet of vacuum line leak that can't be pinpointed) .....32/36 Weber is the only way out of the nightmare.

Actually my carb pissed me off so bad cause it idle too high. I put a wrench on the nut that holds the throttle plates & turned it the opposite way. Took care of that shit until I get my Weber on. :lol:
I don't recommend doing that, cause it caused a flame to thow out my tail pipe when I was on a deceleration. It messes with the Air Suction valve & what not... I had to adjust the carb & play with some tuning on it to make better.

Oldblueaccord
04-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Yeah Im screwing around about making it chug like that. LOL and it was my friend with the grenada that really could let it roll.

But im serious about the run on problem. Sometimes the timing is a little retarded as well.

wp

Civic Accord Honda
04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
my car dose the dieseling sometimes and its efi =/
i just keep pumping it untel it finely dies its rofl fun

Oldblueaccord
04-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I want a vid of it. I'll send you some old parts I got like LCA or something for it.

:stick:

wp

Dr_Snooz
04-11-2008, 09:48 PM
I'd recommend a good tune-up and running premium grade gas from a good station.