PDA

View Full Version : The Allegded washer trick

bank2me
04-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Now I want to lower my honda but dont want eccessively negative camber. Has anyone actually tried this trick. The washers just go between the upper control arm and body right? If anyone has tried it, if I go 1 inch lower than stock how many washers will I need for acceptable camber?

2ndGenGuy
04-11-2008, 11:25 AM
1 inch lower than stock will probably be just without any camber adjustments. If you want to do it properly though, get Prelude UCAs.

Doward
04-21-2008, 08:58 PM
What's this about Prelude UCAs?

88LXi68
04-22-2008, 06:01 AM
the washer trick is for rear upper control arms. the washers put the arm further from the body. BUT when you use upper prelude arms you need to use washers for the bolt that goes through the arm; this does not change camber. a 1" drop will not drastically change your camber to cause uneven wear.

frantik
04-22-2008, 03:57 PM
i have a 1.5" drop plus and dont have uneven wear though the car doesn't want to stay going straight if there is even the slightest tilt in the road. i'm hoping prelude UCA will help

What's this about Prelude UCAs?

2nd gen prelude upper control arms can be used to adjust camber on the front end. theres lots of info in it check the faqs and search engine :)

AZmike
04-22-2008, 06:52 PM
i have a 1.5" drop plus and dont have uneven wear though the car doesn't want to stay going straight if there is even the slightest tilt in the road. i'm hoping prelude UCA will help

2nd gen prelude upper control arms can be used to adjust camber on the front end. theres lots of info in it check the faqs and search engine :)

Have you had the car aligned recently? What you're describing sounds like toe-out or unmatched caster.

Oldblueaccord
04-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Looking at mushrooms car in the picture page and his statement there I think you will end up with negative Caster with those arms and that might be a problem. Esp with wide tires. Not confirmed as of yet just a hunch I have had.

wp

markmdz89hatch
04-28-2008, 05:00 AM
that's entirely dependant on where you set the arms within their adjustment range.

My suggestion is to put the prelude arms on, then bring it straight to an alignment shop. There's damn near no way to just guess where to tighten them down, and expect not to have some sort of camber issue. Not only that, but the toe can be out too depending on where and how you use the washers on the arms bolt to make up for the narrower (sp?) arm of the prelude. This can change the position of the top point of the knuckle just enough to put your toe way out of whack which will make you eat through your tires rediculously fast, and could kill your hubs prematurely.

Note: Another trick that can be done with these arms is to elongate the adjustment notches in the arms to get a little more adjustability if needed, but be very careful with this as you don't want to weaken the arms.

As for the rears, I would still search around for an adjustable rear upper arm to adjust your camber correctly. Washers can be used to build out the arm, but only to a limted extent as you need to make sure you get a good hold with the nut that holds the arm to the mounting point. Not only that, but again, you'll never be able to 'eye' a camber adjustment very well, and is better left to a professional shop to tweak for you. ...and if you show up and ask that they just remove or add washers as needed to the rear, they'll just tell you that they can give you the readings at best, but will not even go near the washers. They will however, adjust a set of adjustable arms for you.

Oldblueaccord
05-01-2008, 07:27 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48440

I did a little write up on the rears. Took me a little while to find it. I got the poly ends which squeek but they have rubber as well. It would be the best way to go along with a good alignment.

wp

markmdz89hatch
05-01-2008, 07:37 AM
you know it's odd that you got both of those sets despite the same part number. I have the version that you received as "AC Delco", but mine were ordered and received as Ingalls. I think what may have happened there is that the set you ended up keeping was more of a second generation of the kit, where what you received from AC may have been a nos item.

Oldblueaccord
05-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Its hurt me as far as ordering anything else from rockauto. I had a spat with them over loaded and semi loaded Type R brake calipers that ended up costing me alot in shipping charges. Buttt they do have the rotors for my IH Scout like half what everyone else charges.

That livermore sports site has all the suspension stuff I use and there prices are good as well. The Ingalls stuff just can't be beat really.

wp