PDA

View Full Version : idea...

oscwrestler
04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
so i was thinking about making a totally custom turbo set up for my a20a2. the idea is to use exaust tubing from a parts store and fab up a set of headers and mount a turbo off of a junked saab or something. what are your thoughts?

ghettogeddy
04-11-2008, 07:11 PM
a20a2 thats carbed right

oscwrestler
04-11-2008, 07:18 PM
yeah it is.

ghettogeddy
04-11-2008, 07:25 PM
you may want to do a fi swap first i dont think we have had a carbed 3g with a turbo as of yet

oscwrestler
04-11-2008, 07:35 PM
well im looking to get a new one anyways. i wrecked mine a few months ago and just got the body pieced back together. i.m dead broke so all i've been able to do is make a CAI outta some 4 inch plastic tubing. honestly, if i blew my motor i wouldnt care. if i blew it, i'd have even more stuff to play with when i get bored haha

MessyHonda
04-11-2008, 09:39 PM
or just save your money and buy a civic and a turbo kit.

if you just want a lil faster car...do a weber swap and install some headers and exhuast with no cat....the car will like it and it will free up couple hp

turabaka
04-11-2008, 10:15 PM
^^ a couple? lol. 38 weber makes a huge difference. Why go turbo? Get a weber, and supercharge it. That could be cool, and it'd be a lot easier than trying to turbo a carb'd car. Although the hard part would be finding a supercharger that'll work.

oscwrestler
04-11-2008, 10:24 PM
well i would love to do that but i have NO money. i looked up webbers and they're a little steep for me. is there anything else that'll fit?

oscwrestler
05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
could i use an mr2 supercharger? i know those would be fairly easy to find.

2oodoor
05-02-2008, 06:37 PM
could i use an mr2 supercharger? i know those would be fairly easy to find.

:rly: where ???!!!

oscwrestler
05-02-2008, 06:58 PM
off one in a jy. or on craigslist. i see those mr2s on there all the time.

turabaka
05-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Alright if one of those would work I'd be so interested. Anyone want to add input on it?

86AccordLxi
05-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Alright, it's reality time here on 3geez....

Firstly, you should probably learn about how forced induction works and all the necessary shit you'll need. If you're dead broke you have ZERO (like, seriously, quit fucking thinking about it) business thinking about turbo or supercharging your carbed accord.

Forced induction requires much more precise control of timing and fuel, and the accord ecu (in fuel injected form, forget the carbed motor for now), only control fuel. For boost, the general consensus is that you need to pull a degree or so of timing per pound of boost. This requires something like an msd btm (zomg, gotta spend money) and that's about it beyond running standalone (lets not even consider that for now, since that's more than the cost of your car).

Adding a turbo is not just some simple bolt on that you can half ass, do shitty, make out of plastic piping, and hope your shit will run. It's an expensive, somewhat complicated endeavor that requires a decent amount of money, an understanding of fuel/timing management, and a whole host of other not-cheap things.

Furthermore unless your car is complete/finished/built in other aspects like brakes, suspension, etc., you should be spending money there.

Sorry for the harsh post, but pie-in-the-sky ideas of just adding a turbo need to be smothered now so you can more properly educate yourself about what you're actually proposing.

Alex

edit: As far as supercharging, the sc12 from the mr2 is a bit small even on the 1.6L motor, and furthermore they're not very easy to find. Production numbers were 1500 for 1988 (not sure for 89). Beyond that, the mount of an sc12 in the 3g engine bay is like a tetris game gone horribly awry. Again, you need to educate yourself about what you're actually proposing.

bobafett
05-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Listen to Mr Alex.

Building a turbo setup on a fuel injected 3g is borderline not worth it, but on a carbed accord there is no question in my mind that I would rather light my money on fire than spend it on a carbed 3g accord turbo setup.

The more you learn about how a turbocharger system REALLY works, and all the bits and pieces involved, the more of a daunting task it becomes. It gets really expensive really quick, no matter how many shortcuts you want to take.

Even if you get half the shit for free or used you still probably won't end up finished spending less than $2500-$3500. That is if you do it remotely properly.

Read up for a few weeks or better yet, buy maximum boost, by corky bell, its a fucking sweet book that explains a lot of aspects of a turbo setup, and it explains it in ways that make sense to normal people. it is one of the best investments i have made, I wish I had bought it sooner.

So yeah unless you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, I would say just enjoy the good mpgs of your stock carbed accord while you can still afford to put gas in it.

Now if you want advice on how to choose engine management and the costs/pros/cons just ask, and I would be happy to explain. :) but they all cost $/ :(

turabaka
05-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I can understand turbos being a bad idea, but what about superchargers? Wouldn't those be quite a bit easier? Especially if you have a weber some other performance carb?

Bass Man
05-04-2008, 05:38 PM
I believe we don't have the right rotation or room for a supercharger.

bobafett
05-04-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't know a lot about carbs, so I can't speak for their tunability with forced induction setups, but I know that you will have a hell of a time physically fitting a supercharger on the belt side of the engine bay.

also this is just a personal opinion, but supercharging a 4 cylinder engine is just not all that great of an idea. I have ridden in several supercharged 4 cyl cars, and none impressed me in the least. There is just not enough power to spare to drive those belts lol...

I guess the main thing is tuning, if you can tune a carb to handle all the different pressures that it will be seeing, then I guess you could get away with it, but IMO that would be a bitch and it STILL doesn't cover spark. And timing is what kills engines. :(

So no matter what you do if you are throwing a big power adder onto an a20 (even a 200 shot of nitrous lmao) you just need to be able to tune for it. And thats the part that isn't cheap or easy...

turabaka
05-04-2008, 07:28 PM
I believe we don't have the right rotation or room for a supercharger.

yeah I've read some things like that, but I thought someone found a supercharger awhile back that rotated the correct direction. It was just waaayyy too big for our engine though.

edit for bobafett's post: Weber's have plenty of tune ability. There's vw bugs running turboed DCOE 45 webers all the time. You're right though the problem is with tuning it right. I don't know too much about forced induction so I don't really have much to comment on in that area. I'm just really curious about doing it to a carbed setup.

Bass Man
05-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Last I checked, the cheapest you can turbo an A20 for is $2000... If you can get a JY turbo to spin for $100, and you GET A MANIFOLD MADE for about $300(?), then you might get away with a $1000 turbo setup.

As for the manifold... I don't think exhaust piping is a good idea before the turbo, and getting a flange made to build off of, you are already down $100, and getting someone to make it may be pricey.

bobafett
05-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't know how you could get a $1000 turbo kit even if you got a $100 turbo and $300 manifold.

lets play:

- turbo $100 jy pos but it will do
- manifold $300 for a log basically
- downpipe $100 and im being VERY generous

okay now we have the basics.

- intercooler $50 used ebay fmic (assuming you can find one that cheap - again being generous)
- air filter $20 for a simple 2.5-3" air filter from ebay or a buddy who doesn't need it.
- fuel pump $100 walbro 255 or 195, maybe 60 if you buy used, but I woudn't dare.
- dsm 450cc injectors $50 used (about the cheapest you can find them for)
- wastegate - free, cuase you bought a pos turbo that is internally gated, but for a nicer setup that would set you back $250.
- bov $50 for a used dsm bov or something functional but not expensive.
- fmic piping kit $100 ebay (about as cheap as you can get, but they come with ghetto couplers and terrible clamps too ftw - but it will work)

okay, we have spent: $870 being a cheapass and getting either bad stuff or used stuff.

now we have a car that is ready right? nope not even close...

- oil drain and feed kit $75
- diy ghetto leaky jbweld oil pan $0 / or pay someone $25 to weld a fitting on there if you are not handy with a welder (I am not).

fantastic you are getting close!!!

- boost guage $30 used or a cheap new one
- oil pressure gauge $30 used or a cheap new one
- manual boost controller $50 for a simple one from ebay
- new plugs $20
- new plug wires cause your shitty old stock ones suck $30 for cheap ones
- new dizzy cap and rotor $25 cause you can't afford for your shitty 3g dizzy to be fuzzy and kill your engine.

not too shabby we are almost there... so far spending $1100 for a minorly tuned up terribly ghetto setup.

here is the fun part:

- msd 6 btm to barely control timing sort of, and get a halfway decent spark to your motor $400 ouch! you can find them used for less, but ebay didn't turn much up for less than $400.

- SAFC NEO or SAFC2 to control your fuel sort of barely pretty weak but a lot better than nothing: $250-$275

Well now you are at $1750 for a car that I would trust to make about 6-8 psi and blow up after a few thousand miles. :) Also it will be slow because you are still on stock exhaust and thats another $100-$200 to take care of, and $300 if you want a high flow cat in there.

So there you have it: $2050 for the worst turbo car on the planet. But I'm sure it can be done. Keeping in mind you only bought like 3 parts new and everything else was used prices for shitty stuff.

Oh and I am probably leaving some stuff out. And this is the bare minimum, not at all what I would 'recommend'.

It gets really out of control if you start doing things right. lmao...

LiquidIC
05-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I turboed my car with a TOTALLY custom turbo setup for right around $1400 TUNED

however i did have a totally chipped ecu that was street tuned that controlled timing and fuel...

so even with the crazy hook ups i receive i think that you can boost your car for cheap... it is possible...

it will just blow up in spectacular fashion

LiquidIC
05-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Adding a turbo is not just some simple bolt on that you can half ass, do shitty, make out of plastic piping, and hope your shit will run.

Alex.... have you ever seen this web site called Homemadeturbo.com???

86AccordLxi
05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
stfu Nick.

You can sometimes substitute mcguyver-like skills to make up for shitastic parts and execution. But something's gotta give-- limited knowledge + shitty parts = not going to work. More knowledge + shitty parts = might work for a while.

Alex

LiquidIC
05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
stfu Nick.

You can sometimes substitute mcguyver-like skills to make up for shitastic parts and execution. But something's gotta give-- limited knowledge + shitty parts = not going to work. More knowledge + shitty parts = might work for a while.

Alex

i would think that the glory of a turboed carbed accord would be a sight to behold... for about 30 seconds... i may even donate some money to see a video of this guy trying to finish it! hahahahaha i love you alex...

LX-i Girl
05-04-2008, 08:27 PM
i will donate an owl for exchange

we make deal?

86AccordLxi
05-04-2008, 08:27 PM
"Glory." lololol.

It'd be something.

Alex

LiquidIC
05-04-2008, 08:29 PM
well... i think that between myself alex and chris we have enough turbo parts to help this guy out... i mean... i want to see this happen...

kind of like that dyno video of the 3gee on the bottle kapow

turabaka
05-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Hell you guys send me the money, and I'll give you the "glory" of a turboed carb accord. LOL

LiquidIC
05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
nobody likes idaho

turabaka
05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
nobody likes idaho

lol. That was awesome. You sir are truly original.

LiquidIC
05-04-2008, 08:34 PM
lol. That was awesome. You sir are truly original.

hahaha nah idaho is cool..we can make deal for owl?

turabaka
05-04-2008, 08:38 PM
lawl. here ya go. http://www.toontowncentral.com/gallery/data/500/orly-42891.jpg

LX-i Girl
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
That is not from russia

86AccordLxi
05-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Quit whoring, dammit.

This is the intrawebs. Serious business.

Alex

gfrg88
05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Well now you are at $1750 for a car that I would trust to make about 6-8 psi and blow up after a few thousand miles. :) Also it will be slow because you are still on stock exhaust and thats another $100-$200 to take care of, and $300 if you want a high flow cat in there.

mine only lasted two runs :sadwave:

bobafett
05-04-2008, 09:24 PM
:( sorry dude! what was your setup like?

gfrg88
05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
:( sorry dude! what was your setup like?

worst ever, in history... that elephant/sink trap type mani. with a t3. thats pretty much it lol, fmic, dsm bov, dsm injectors and nothing else... ran good, i guess lol

MessyHonda
05-04-2008, 10:52 PM
the run that landed you in jail....i want turbo

Bass Man
05-04-2008, 11:07 PM
LOL!!! At least you were winning... for a minute...

gfrg88
05-05-2008, 07:36 AM
the run that landed you in jail....i want turbo

:Owned2:

bobafett
05-05-2008, 08:10 PM
:( damn dude. i guess thats a good lesson for the kids. don't cheap out on your turbo setup or you WILL go to jail. hehe...

hopefully your luck has turned around by now. :)