PDA

View Full Version : Motor Swap question

djcslice
04-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I am interested in getting another 3g, mainly so I can do a motor swap. I am looking to either do a B-series or an H22. It seems like a lot of members opt for the B-series motor for a swap, is there any specific reason for choosing a B-series over an H22?

turabaka
04-12-2008, 08:01 PM
because the H22 doesn't fit without a lot of mods. The b20a actually came with this car in other countries, so all the mounts except for the transmission bracket is the same. As for the people running b18's those guys have placeracing mounts for b series engines in this car. those mounts are no longer made, but you can occasionally find them.

itzdave
04-12-2008, 08:03 PM
yup, the b20 came in the JDM 3geez. simple (somewhat) swap, def not as complex as the H-series swap...

ghettogeddy
04-12-2008, 08:09 PM
but dont confuse this with the lude b20a5 or the crv b20 they are not the same

turabaka
04-12-2008, 08:11 PM
^^ very true. The only B20 that will fit is from the 3rd gen Accord. If you have the cash though, they're not that hard to find. Just ask one of our New Zealand friends. :)

djcslice
04-12-2008, 08:18 PM
You say the JDM B20 is the only one that fits, how much does one cost?

Is the only fit issue with the other B series and H22 the motor mounts?

turabaka
04-12-2008, 08:33 PM
H22 is a way bigger deal than just motor mounts. For one it's a pain in the ass to get it to fit right in the engine bay. You also need custom axles, mounts, harness, and a conversion to get the hydraulic clutch to work with the cable style clutch of the 3geez, and custom shift linkages I believe. For most people the H22 is way more trouble than it's worth.

ghettogeddy
04-12-2008, 08:44 PM

only real running h22 3g is on a tube fram lol
and for the bswaps yes its the axals and mounts

turabaka
04-12-2008, 08:45 PM
^^ No there was another one awhile back that had an h22 in it. He had a shop do all of the work for him though, so it doesn't really count in my book. lol

ghettogeddy
04-12-2008, 08:46 PM
^^ No there was another one awhile back that had an h22 in it. He had a shop do all of the work for him though, so it doesn't really count in my book. lol

ok well 2 out of how many attempts lol

bullard123
04-13-2008, 05:14 AM
^^ very true. The only B20 that will fit is from the 3rd gen Accord. If you have the cash though, they're not that hard to find. Just ask one of our New Zealand friends. :)

Yep. Jdm 3rd gen accords and Jdm 84-87 preludes also

2oodoor
04-13-2008, 05:36 AM

well I would say not exactley, but yes you definatley need to get past those two issues first. After you have it in you will likely need other fabracation skills to get rid of torque steer issues, wiring/electronics, cooling system plumbing, engine driven accessories, and various vibration and exhaust issues you would have with any strong FWD car.

And believe it or not there are plenty of projects never posted on this forum or even the internet. There are even members here who seldom ever post and yet have amazing cars.

87ludeITR
04-30-2008, 06:48 AM
I have EVERYTHING you need for the B series into an accord FROM PLACERACING! Mounts, Axles, Shift Linkage, Wiring harness for OBD0- OBD2 engines! Just e-mail we'll talk.

[email protected]

A18A
04-30-2008, 07:05 AM
ok well 2 out of how many attempts lol

i can think of that gold CA accord with the h22 aswell, and that guy with the f22 or something

ghettogeddy
04-30-2008, 09:35 AM
i can think of that gold CA accord with the h22 aswell, and that guy with the f22 or something

the guy with the f22 form iraq or some shit

maximus1736
05-02-2008, 05:08 AM
The h is wrong for the 2geez, but u know any thing about F23?

gfrg88
05-02-2008, 07:53 AM
The h is wrong for the 2geez, but u know any thing about F23?

hey buddy.....your in the 3geez area ;)

ianjk46conv
09-04-2008, 01:39 PM
so who's got info on the b20 swap? where can I get everything. how reliable are the sources? i want to go all motor i think. any idea where i can get specs on the motor? i have an 89 lxi, 5 spd, 116kmi. also, who makes performance internals for the b20 you are talking about?

ghettogeddy
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
so who's got info on the b20 swap? where can I get everything. how reliable are the sources? i want to go all motor i think. any idea where i can get specs on the motor? i have an 89 lxi, 5 spd, 116kmi. also, who makes performance internals for the b20 you are talking about?

have fun your most likely gona have to source one from a privet dealer in nz and its gona cost upwards of 2k to 3k just for the motor and trans and maybe harness

now a days its just as expensive as getting b series mounts made only difference is reg b series motors are more readily available

2oodoor
09-04-2008, 02:04 PM
this thread went weird there a little

I would turbo that cherry low mileage Accord there mr I am just kidding for sake of conversation dude WTF

AccordB20A
09-04-2008, 03:11 PM
b series mounts and axles plus b20 CRV motor + b16a head
do it i want someone to......
or you can buy an old JDm accord b20a and manual box from me for $2000 shipped. the 1st option sounds a lot more fun tho...

2ndGenGuy
09-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I put money on the CRVTEC with stock components being a turd of an engine. I would be surprised if it made as much torque as a JDM Accord B20A, or as much horsepower as the B16 that the head came off of.

MessyHonda
09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
b series mounts and axles plus b20 CRV motor + b16a head
do it i want someone to......
or you can buy an old JDm accord b20a and manual box from me for $2000 shipped. the 1st option sounds a lot more fun tho...

i was going to buy that same set up...but the guy never sent the mounts. just b20vtec search on youtube and you can see that set up can make up to like 260whp with the right compression.

AccordB20A
09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
yeah what r u on john it maybe a usdm ricers engine but a 2 liter vtec!?

ianjk46conv
09-05-2008, 07:55 AM
frankenstein setup, nice. i was looking at hmotorsonline yesterday and couldn't find the b20, like you said, but the crv motor was in there. i used to have some kind of grasp on motor swaps in these cars, but that was when i had a crx. finding parts for my accord is a little tedious. i just got the car a couple weeks ago, found it on autotrader in CT, drove there with my girlfriend, bought it and drove it home. the interior is mint and there is a little bit of rust. only one person owned it before me, and it was a 60 yr old couple who obviously bought it new in 89. i brought it to my body guy and he said that it wouldn't be worth fixing so i'm going to invest that cash into the motor. i'm not looking to have the fastest rice in town, i'd just like it to be more fun to drive. so coilovers, struts and camber adjustment are in the back of my mind also. any help you guys/girls could give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Ian

sofaking_bob
09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I want the v6 out of the like 6th gen accords. Hasport is coming out with a mount kit for that engine in a civic soon, so logic dictates that they'll also make one for the 3rd gen accord; the red-headed step-child of the honda family.

but seriously, i do want one in my '86 hatch.

greentee76
09-12-2008, 02:38 PM
I want the v6 out of the like 6th gen accords. Hasport is coming out with a mount kit for that engine in a civic soon, so logic dictates that they'll also make one for the 3rd gen accord; the red-headed step-child of the honda family.

but seriously, i do want one in my '86 hatch.

Maybe they would make one up custom for the 3gee for a request, but I wouldn't count on it being readily available.
Though it would be damn nice.

sofaking_bob
09-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Maybe they would make one up custom for the 3gee for a request, but I wouldn't count on it being readily available.
Though it would be damn nice.

i agree that it would be nice, i also agree that there is maybe a shred of a possibility that they would make a one-off kit for you or me or whomever, but it would require some healthy donations to the hasport foundation.

i've been doing some research on swaps involving that engine, and coming up kinda short, but the j32 out of a 3.2 cl-s is a little more commonplace-"commonplace" probably isn't the best word because it isn't really common at all, but it will have to do for now.

anyway, the j32 has more power, and mates up to a 6-speed where the j30 is kinda limited to an auto tranny. there are many civic with cl engine videos on youtube. both of those engines are transverse v6's though and are made to fit into small places. if it can be crammed into an EG civic, i feel like it should fit into the bay of a 3g.

on the downside, i think that the cost of that engine and transmission is somewhere along the lines of a k-series, but i'm not sure, cause i couldn't find one for sale. so that swap (or the idea of doing one) will probably be lumped in with the rest of the other swaps that people who own 3gs have dreamed up. it's not a practical swap, it wouldn't be "easy" at all, it would require lots of money even if you knew how to do the work yourself. and even if you did know how to do it all... it would be exhaustive.

but hot damn, it'd be sweet. i love dreaming.

Tomisimo
09-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Havent man dreamed to go to the moon, we wouldn't been there!! Dream is a future.
Anyhow, the J32 swap sounds nice but not practical, K-swap is more likely if so.
If anyone make custom H or F series mounts and linkages, it would be the break true we all wont.

snoopyloopy
09-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Havent man dreamed to go to the moon, we wouldn't been there!! Dream is a future.
Anyhow, the J32 swap sounds nice but not practical, K-swap is more likely if so.
If anyone make custom H or F series mounts and linkages, it would be the break true we all wont.

i'd take a j32, actually. engine out the 3.2 cl/tl type-s which had an available 6-speed tranny and had 270 hp. or if the external dimensions aren't much different, the j35 from the rl/tl type-s (same six speed as before) with damn near 300 hp will bolt in too. and i do believe comptech and jrsc make a kit for both of those motors. :rockon:

sofaking_bob
09-14-2008, 03:16 PM
i'd take a j32, actually. engine out the 3.2 cl/tl type-s which had an available 6-speed tranny and had 270 hp. or if the external dimensions aren't much different, the j35 from the rl/tl type-s (same six speed as before) with damn near 300 hp will bolt in too. and i do believe comptech and jrsc make a kit for both of those motors. :rockon:

I want the v6 out of the like 6th gen accords. Hasport is coming out with a mount kit for that engine in a civic soon

when i said "that engine", i was refering to what i thought, at the time, was a j30 in an EG civic. it turns out that it is a j35 in an EG. There's a video on youtube, just search "V6 EG".

My favorite part of the video is when the cameraman asks what they had to do to get the engine in there and the guy was like, nothing really, it was a fairly easy bolt-in.

i'd be happy to get a j32 up and running in my 3g... then again, i'd be happy if my 3g were running at all.

sofaking_bob
09-15-2008, 11:01 AM
so i emailed hasport about the v6 swap from the civic and how it might translate to 3g; this is what i got.

"There will be a V6 kit for the EK coming out soon. Once that is out, you will be able to use the left and right-hand mounts and some fabricated brackets to mount the engine. Then you would just need to make a rear mount to use with our bracket. The wiring can be handled by Arizona Performance Imports. He would be able to build you a harness you could use. The big question though is How tall is the 86 Accord's engine bay. It may very well be to short. The J engine is quite a bit taller than the H-series engine."

So, yeah! That is good news for me and my dream.

ghettogeddy
09-15-2008, 11:22 AM
so i emailed hasport about the v6 swap from the civic and how it might translate to 3g; this is what i got.

"There will be a V6 kit for the EK coming out soon. Once that is out, you will be able to use the left and right-hand mounts and some fabricated brackets to mount the engine. Then you would just need to make a rear mount to use with our bracket. The wiring can be handled by Arizona Performance Imports. He would be able to build you a harness you could use. The big question though is How tall is the 86 Accord's engine bay. It may very well be to short. The J engine is quite a bit taller than the H-series engine."

So, yeah! That is good news for me and my dream.

ya but dont we have clearance issues with the h series

Nafs Asdf
09-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Just cut a hole in the hood so it'll fit? ;)

stat1K
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
it's funny how the b-series has never really been mastered in the 3g with only a few people really getting it done... and now we're looking at j-series motors? come on...

as far as the statement about the crvtec setup... i've seen stock dyno's putting down 146ft-lbs to the wheels, please please please show me a stock b20a that does that.

after all these years i really am sick of these threads. -_-

sofaking_bob
09-17-2008, 11:42 AM
it's funny how the b-series has never really been mastered in the 3g with only a few people really getting it done... and now we're looking at j-series motors? come on...

as far as the statement about the crvtec setup... i've seen stock dyno's putting down 146ft-lbs to the wheels, please please please show me a stock b20a that does that.

after all these years i really am sick of these threads. -_-

i don't think it's funny; and it is exactly that kind of mentality that keeps people from doing things that are, for all intents and purposes, possible. you are right about there not being many 3geez with swaps, period, and even fewer of them with b-series engines. That doesn't deter me from trying to concieve something in my head, or wanting to see it come to true physical fruition.

and if you're sick of swap threads, why read them?

chowder
09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
yea in like a few years im already planning for a complete redesign of a 3g that includes a mid eng/rwd set up and a twin turboed v6. sounds impossible but we have a mid/rwd 3g almost done now and thats cool, nothings possible just gotta commit. the whole power output thing though you really just have to tune and weigh properly. what really will be what makes or breaks how fast youll be in that good old ratio of hp:ton. drop the weight keep the power in the in the 250-300 range youll be quick quick quick. if youve ever seen the ariel atom, its this little open wheel street legal car if youve never seen it. although it only weighs 100lbs and has a 300bhp (non supercharged) engine is develops 600hp/ton and goes 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. so keep that in mind when thinking about your swaps too

stat1K
09-18-2008, 02:02 PM
would like pics of said 3g ^^

@ sofa:

i'm not laughing at you or your dream, but lets face it, it is a dream. the biggest things our community lacks is money and drive. that's why when anything new gets brought up like what lx-incredible is doing with the adapter plates to run an obd1 distributor, the threads just eventually slow down and die. someone who is willing to pay someone money to run a program and cut a plate and no one even wants to take his money... all i'm saying is you can talk it up on here but until there is any kind of progress i will remain scepticale. as for me, i've been talking with lx-incredible about my old car and we are still discussing a crvtec for my old car and his current shell. so i'm not just on the outside looking in... the only thing stopping me much like many of the others here is money... and i believe that will be the down fall of the community.

ghettogeddy
09-18-2008, 02:13 PM
would like pics of said 3g ^^

@ sofa:

i'm not laughing at you or your dream, but lets face it, it is a dream. the biggest things our community lacks is money and drive. that's why when anything new gets brought up like what lx-incredible is doing with the adapter plates to run an obd1 distributor, the threads just eventually slow down and die. someone who is willing to pay someone money to run a program and cut a plate and no one even wants to take his money... all i'm saying is you can talk it up on here but until there is any kind of progress i will remain scepticale. as for me, i've been talking with lx-incredible about my old car and we are still discussing a crvtec for my old car and his current shell. so i'm not just on the outside looking in... the only thing stopping me much like many of the others here is money... and i believe that will be the down fall of the community.

i agree on the money factor hell i canty even get my exhaust done on my hatch
cause i cant afford to smog it lol

bullard123
09-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah economy is really bad now

stat1K
09-19-2008, 07:58 AM
it has not that much to do with the economy and more to do with the type of car dude... we are attracted to these initially because of the price... in short we are all cheap asses to begin with. but if i had purchased another 3g (if one was available in the area) instead of my civic that i got for 500, the running total is now 2700... i could have bought a b18 and fabbed it into the 3g with about as much work as i've put into this civic although the civic now has new everything, and i mean everything (last original parts are the interior with the exception of my seats and belts, and the wiring in the car.) so it really has to do with the car and the ease of finding things... if we would just get one unselfish person (me or lx-incredible are the two that come to mind) with some mounts i'm sure we could get shit going... i would sell them for cost because i'm not in it to make money i'm in it to make the community better.

LX-incredible
09-19-2008, 09:58 AM
it has not that much to do with the economy and more to do with the type of car dude... we are attracted to these initially because of the price... in short we are all cheap asses to begin with.
Yup, I've bought both of mine for $550. Some work was needed on each, but you throw a $1500 into one and you have a car that drives like new and will most likely last longer.

But I'm down to make some mounts if you can source us a trashed b, or maybe a crv b20. :naughty: Should be able to get the poly from AZ race or someone. Motor should be out of there this month to replace all that shit. I would be willing to weld something up and make blueprints. I don't want anything out of this either. It would just be awesome if we could make something available for those who want to b swap.

stat1K
09-19-2008, 06:18 PM
yeah i say we do it with mb2... b20 ftw... we'll talk tomorrow about it!

greentee76
09-19-2008, 07:29 PM
it has not that much to do with the economy and more to do with the type of car dude... we are attracted to these initially because of the price... in short we are all cheap asses to begin with.
Ain't that the truth. I have been searching for a DC header for months.. finally found one and don't want to drop the money on it. Maybe the fun was all in the search?

LX-incredible
09-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Not sure yet, one of them is going to get a built A. Got too much in parts to change direction. I do want to swap one though. It might come first cause it's cheaper than finishing the A. B20 bioch! See ya tomorrow man.

LX-incredible
09-19-2008, 07:46 PM
dp

MessyHonda
09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
sweet il be down for mounts.

stat1K
09-29-2008, 01:44 PM
i really do kill threads don't i?

2oodoor
09-29-2008, 02:00 PM
i really do kill threads don't i?

well reality bites

you gotta keep the dream car alive though, and to many this a 20 year old Honda F'n Accord is base for a dream car... whuaa? see what I mean.
If you take time to read what people say here, you will see there is good mix of hands on fabricators, machinists, computer techs, auto technicians, walmart employees, military peeps,> uh no the community will not fall if the dreams are kept going. Support your fellow members projects with entheusiasm, offer positive reflection or none at all.
Agreed the V6 thing is a far fetched idea that really has no pay off. The HP and torque numbers just are not worth the trouble IMO. but still, if somebody want to do it there is a place for it here.