PDA

View Full Version : Hatch popping

Strahan
04-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey, whatever gizmo in the rear that makes the hatch pop when you hit the lever or turn the key is apparently nonfunctional in my car. I have to turn the key and pull up on the hatch to open it. What gives that functionality, and how do I fix it?

turabaka
04-12-2008, 07:48 PM
As far as I know there is no gizmo. Mine doesn't pop up either. I think the reason would be so you don't hit yourself in the face with the hatch. Although I've done that before regardless. lol.

Demon1024
04-12-2008, 10:02 PM
try holding the latch open with something (or someone) and opening it then. does the lever work at all? might lube it up or may need a new cable to the latch. i know one of mine did pop up a little to keep it from re latching but the other didn't. if i had to guess i'd say it was the rubber stops on the hatch what do yours look like?

87roach
04-13-2008, 09:15 AM
I have this problem too, it worked for a while and then it just stopped all together.. would be nice to get it to pop again so I don't have to use the key or get someone to open it while I use the latch.

turabaka
04-13-2008, 11:49 AM
hmm. my latch works for sure because I'll pull the lever and walk back there and it'll open. It just doesn't actually pop up for me. I just figured that was normal, since I've never seen a hatchback that had the pop gizmo.

Strahan
04-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Yea, the lever will work. I shoved something under the lever to keep it up and was able to open the hatch. But if I just pull the lever release and walk back, it won't open. Good idea on the rubber stops, maybe those are what give it the tension to pop back open enough. Didn't even look to see if I had any. I'll go check it out.

Strahan
04-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Bingo! I grabbed the rubber stops and twisted them counter-clockwise a few times. It looks like they have huge rubber thread type things that screw into the hatchlid. I fed out another row of threads (it had 2 visible when checked it) then shut the lid and tried the key. Voila, it popped. Shut it then went and hit the floor lever and heard the pop, then sure enough it opened fine.

Whoo hoo! Thanks Demon, right on the money.

Civic Accord Honda
04-13-2008, 12:03 PM
to pop my truck i have to get out push down on my trunk then pop it if it dont open go push dowbn on the trunk again and try poping it and do that tell it works lol i also just replaced my cable i was hoping that would fix it

lostforawhile
04-13-2008, 12:15 PM
you figured it out before i could type it, those rubber stops unscrew quite a ways. i had to replace both of the metal things on mine that they screw into,water collects in them and rusts them from inside. unscrew them all the way and make sure theres no water trapped in them.i drilled holes in the bottom of my rubber pieces for drains. if they rust those pieces come off the hatch itself,they are just spot welded on. there is solid metal underneath of them.

Strahan
04-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Good idea, I'll have to drill it tomorrow. Rust sucks!

87roach
04-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I just went after I saw this post and turned those rubber bumps not even half a turn just to test, and its now back to working!! Thanks.

turabaka
04-13-2008, 07:14 PM
to pop my truck i have to get out push down on my trunk then pop it if it dont open go push dowbn on the trunk again and try poping it and do that tell it works lol i also just replaced my cable i was hoping that would fix it

cah you don't have a hatch so your latching mechanism is different. We don't have an actual *pop*. It's just the rubber stops on the bottom pushing the hatch up enough so it doesn't catch again.