PDA

View Full Version : Weber 32/36 - Recommended fuel pump

Doward
04-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Which fuel pump is recommended for the 32/36?

turabaka
04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
you probably want anything that puts out around 3-4 psi. Although you could get something with more psi, and put a regulator on it to put it at 3 psi. I thought that there was something in the faq section talking about this, but I can't remember exactly where it was.

Doward
04-12-2008, 08:05 PM
I've been looking. I'm trying to see if I can locate a Master fuel pumps catalog online somewhere, so I can see what rated flow and psi these pumps are.

turabaka
04-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah. I'd definitely be interested in what you find. I think my fuel pump may be on the way out, so I was thinking I'd replace with something aftermarket.

2ndGenGuy
04-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Stock fuel pump is fine. I just put a Holley Red on my car, and the car runs the same, not that I expected it to run different, but just saying. Unless you're putting big carbs on it, I don't know if it's worth it or not. Hassling with all the fittings, putting in inline gauges and pressure regulators. Finding fittings for the fuel pump. And if you buy a cheap regulator, as I found out, it won't work for crap. And your gauge as well. So you'll never know whats going on. You'll either flood your carb out or choke it of fuel.

Also, the Holley is noisy. I mounted mine on big rubber bushings, and you can still hear it running. Spend more than $20 for the FPR, and more than $20 on the fuel pressure gauge, or you'll have no idea what's going on.

2oodoor
04-13-2008, 03:26 AM
stock fuel pump is plenty, I recommend a regulator to keep pressure in the 3-4 psi range though. This is to keep fuel from spraying every time the needle opens at the float, which preatiomizes the fuel and can cause issues.(bubbles as the fuel enters the jet, top hat gasket leaks, excessive bowl fumes)
Remember flow and pressure are two different charactoristics.
Remember this carb is used in many OEM applications with nothing special about the fuel pump, and works fine.

Doward
04-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Alright. Just find it funny that my stock fuel pump only gives me 1.5-2.0psi. No regulator on it (yet) and the pump can't keep up at extended high rpm usage.

Could just be my fuel pump dieing slowly.

2ndGenGuy
04-13-2008, 09:22 AM
1.5 - 2 psi is what it should be putting out. 3psi is MAX for a Weber.

Whats it doing that makes you think it's not keeping up at high rpm usage? Does it begin to bog down? It is entirely possible that the fuel pump is dying. Especially if it's the original one. It is kinda old. :D

2oodoor
04-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I though the stock pump was more like 8-15 psi, maybe I am confusing it with toyota.

turabaka
04-13-2008, 11:43 AM
^^ not on the carb models it isn't. I thought that the stock carb pumps were supposed to be around 4psi? mine hovers around 1.5 - 2 psi which is what makes me think it's dying. Although I don't have any problems in the upper rpm ranges.

MessyHonda
04-13-2008, 05:03 PM
yeah i remember when my carb was giving me problems had the pump replaced and i read that the pressure should be 2.8~3.5 psi

Doward
04-13-2008, 09:42 PM
WOT 1st-2nd, fine - 3rd gear around 5000rpm it starts to buck. If I stay into it, it will buck worse and worse. Let off the gas and cruise, then get back on it, and it's ok again (until sustained hi-rpm usage)

I'm 99.9% positive I'm draining the fuel bowl of the Weber.

cygnus x-1
04-14-2008, 08:55 PM
A stock fuel pump should work fine with a Weber unless you have some serious mods. But it does sound like your pump isn't keeping up at high RPM.

C|