PDA

View Full Version : "Newbie" ... A 1980 ...(the Accord ..not me!!)

dddon
04-13-2008, 03:14 AM
Hello ... i am new here, an sorta new at posting on a site too.
I am in the process of fixing the 1980 hatchback for my grandaughter.
She has fallen for the Accord .. hopelessly .. an she thinks her grumpa can fix ANYTHING!! .. Well .. i love her .. (All of my decendants actually) , so i won't mention that i know better!!...
Anyhow... the gear that is part of the camshaft (it drives the gear for the oil pump) has been shaved off, due to no oil I guess .. so i need to get another camshaft and unplug the oil passage..... I hope to get some useful ideas here!
the engine is a 1751 cc i guess .. 76000 miles .. .. the carb is a three throat .. an it has three valves per cylinder ...
The car has an automatic tranny, power brakes, AC, as well as the coolest clock ! dddon

2ndGenGuy
04-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi! Welcome to the site! Always good to find more people who love the old Accords! If you get a chance, we'd all love to see some pics of the car!

As far as that camshaft goes, that's one of the most common problems on these cars. The camshaft often gets starved of oil as well and gets some pretty good wear on the camlobes.

If you want to get that camshaft and oil pump gear back in good working order, you won't be able to find them new. What you should do, when you get a new camshaft, is make sure you get the oil pump gear that was running on that cam. From what I've read, those gears should be matched, and if you get good camshaft from a motor, and reuse your old pump gear, it will wind up shearing off again.

Also, due to the wear that seems to happen on all these camshafts, I also would recommend taking the new cam that you get, and having it reground to original spec for best performance.

That clock is pretty sweet, isn't it?! I found one at the wrecking yard, and had to snag it for my '81. Best ever!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Also, I went ahead and moved this thread into the "1geez" section, since your car is a 1st Gen Accord. :)

AccordB20A
04-13-2008, 04:35 PM
welcome. cool dude show pics of the car

Dr_Snooz
04-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Ditto. Need pics!

79cord
04-14-2008, 01:58 AM
I hope the work doesn't turn in to too much of a burden & all goes well.

If it's helpful info. these parts should also be shared with the '79-81 Accords & Preludes as well, though not with the '82-3 Honda EK engines since the intake & exhaust valves were all swapped around, even the '81's might need careful checking for changes having had many revisions for the final year for the 1st generation of Accord. -Honda didn't rest.

There are some US dealers that have their factory part-books visible on-line if you have the patience to cross-reference numbers to check for possible differences -even if that only changed for a different supplier.

ghettogeddy
04-14-2008, 11:05 AM
were do you call home maybe there will be a member close that can help

dddon
04-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Hi again!! thanks for the info !! we are located in the minneapolis area of "minne-soda ".. my grandaughter is just 18 .... i'm 74 an active.
just learned that another g'daughter (recently married) is blessed with child! ......this will be g'grndchild 8!! my sweetie an I (53 years together) have four children (so far) an they have 21 children (so far)!!
I will get some photos of the accord .. I sure hope someone will send me a possible source of a camshaft ...a name of a yard or a phone number?... all the ones in this area were melted down 10 or more years ago, due to the salt induced rust of the bodies.really a great loss . i went through the carb, put on timing belt, head gasket , plugs ,ign wires etc .. had it runnin great .. wish i had know about the cam lube problem!! seems to be a great bunch of folks in this group!!! thanks again!! dddon .. (I think in 3D too!!)

2ndGenGuy
04-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi again!! thanks for the info !! we are located in the minneapolis area of "minne-soda ".. my grandaughter is just 18 .... i'm 74 an active.
just learned that another g'daughter (recently married) is blessed with child! ......this will be g'grndchild 8!! my sweetie an I (53 years together) have four children (so far) an they have 21 children (so far)!!
I will get some photos of the accord .. I sure hope someone will send me a possible source of a camshaft ...a name of a yard or a phone number?... all the ones in this area were melted down 10 or more years ago, due to the salt induced rust of the bodies.really a great loss . i went through the carb, put on timing belt, head gasket , plugs ,ign wires etc .. had it runnin great .. wish i had know about the cam lube problem!! seems to be a great bunch of folks in this group!!! thanks again!! dddon .. (I think in 3D too!!)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a camshaft for ya. You're not the only one having a hard time finding parts. These cars seem to be getting harder and harder to snag parts for the last few years. Even out here where we don't get salted roads, they keep crushing these cars. I'm looking for parts cars myself from time to time (I have an '81 as well as an '84).

We do get the occasional person out this way trying to get rid of a car on Craigslist, and sometimes they're willing to part them out. As another member and I have found, thats the best way to get parts. The weather is finally getting nice again, and maybe it's time to find another part-out! :)

Here's a list of wrecking yards in my area:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&q=auto+wrecking,&near=Olympia,+WA&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&abauth=bd7a24f3%3AtdM7F0lhR3V-tgeUxqM1L4vjfdc&view=text&q=auto+wrecking%2C&near=tacoma%2C+WA&btnG=Search+Businesses

If you wanna call around to them and find out who has one, I will be more than happy to go buy it, and pull it for you and ship it to ya. You'll probably have to do quite a bit of calling, as there might be 1 or 2 yards with the right part.

dddon
04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
WOW!! that is a great offer!! i will have my g'daughter help call around .. sure hope there is one available out there.
I spent a summer with my sister an her family near the seatac airport when i was in hs (50's).. went picking beans in the fields for spending money ..met some really nice folks then ... will post any news!! dddon

2ndGenGuy
04-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Hehe, I can imagine that things have changed quite a bit since then. I don't think there are any fields anymore. :(

Do let me know what you find out though! A 1981 Accord or 80-81 Prelue should have the same camshaft!

Oldblueaccord
04-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Hey ddon,

Thats a great car for a youngster starting out. I had one when I was 16.

Have you tried any of the junkyards far to the north of you? I remember there where some about 45 min to an hour out of the city that had alotta oldcars. I got a part for my IH scout from one of them I remember distinctly. I brought an 81' up there from florida in the mid 90's even.

The problem with the cam in that climate is if you use thick oil in winter it will strip that gear going to the pump.

wp

lostforawhile
04-19-2008, 06:41 AM
um look at thisoldhonda.org too, they can help a lot when trying to find these parts. usually the gear shears off because crap gets into the oil pump, then the pump locks,and the gear shears off, sheared several of them in my 81 civics. you need to pull the oil pan,pry out the screen, and take the pump apart and clean it really good. make sure you mark the relationship of the gears. when you put it back together,this is really important, make sure you put the proper gasket back between the pump halves and use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts. if they are torqued wrong you can have the same problem over again. check your pump drive shaft for damage also. someone let me know what year cam you can use,is the second gen cam compatible?

2ndGenGuy
04-19-2008, 09:27 AM
2g Accord cam is not compatible. They switched intake and exhaust valves around. I'm pretty sure it's just 80 and 81. There are probably SOME late 79 models with the 4 port head as well.

lostforawhile
04-19-2008, 09:28 AM
2g Accord cam is not compatible. They switched intake and exhaust valves around.
crap was going to pull him one with the oil pump driveshaft

2ndGenGuy
04-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Yeah, threre is a junkyard with 2 or 3 82-83 Accords and an 82 Prelude nearby. No 84-85 or 76-81s. :(

lostforawhile
04-20-2008, 06:54 AM
why don't you register at thisoldhonda.org then you can put up an add looking for one. someone might already have one. board isa little slow but eventually someone will answer

nfs480
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Wow, where in the Minneapolis area are you located? I'm up in Rogers, MN about 20-30 minutes West of Minneapolis down I94.

dddon
04-22-2008, 11:12 PM
well .. its 2am an i cant sleep .. too spicy food .. here is a bit more info
I have pulled the cam and turned the shaft to the oil pump by hand with the filter removed ... it pumped oil quite easily. the oil is 5-30 so i dont think that was the source of the trouble. I am in a suburb south of minneapolis an last month i stopped at a yard an hour an a half north of the cities.. they had crushed all the 80's autos 15 years ago.
will try the sites mentioned an keep hoping! dddon