PDA

View Full Version : Killing the clock dimmer

Strahan
04-13-2008, 12:03 PM
The dim function of the clock always kind of annoyed me, as I tend to use my running lights alot when it's overcast and such. During the day when I do that, I can barely read the clock thanks to the dimmer. I pulled the clock today and metered the wires. The red wire with a black stripe is the dimmer trigger. If you take a jeweler's flathead (or any tiny metal) and put it in the socket for that wire right on top of the metal connector then push up against the top plastic piece that keeps it in the harness you can pull the cable out. Tape it off and reassemble, voila, no more clock dimmer. I suppose you can just clip the wire rather than remove it from the harness, but IMO it's always better to remove rather than clip so you can change your mind later if you wish :)

Civic Accord Honda
04-13-2008, 12:06 PM
cool! i wish i had a clock :(

2oodoor
04-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Good Idea !

lostforawhile
04-13-2008, 12:09 PM
The dim function of the clock always kind of annoyed me, as I tend to use my running lights alot when it's overcast and such. During the day when I do that, I can barely read the clock thanks to the dimmer. I pulled the clock today and metered the wires. The red wire with a black stripe is the dimmer trigger. If you take a jeweler's flathead (or any tiny metal) and put it in the socket for that wire right on top of the metal connector then push up against the top plastic piece that keeps it in the harness you can pull the cable out. Tape it off and reassemble, voila, no more clock dimmer. I suppose you can just clip the wire rather than remove it from the harness, but IMO it's always better to remove rather than clip so you can change your mind later if you wish :)just clip the wire and run a low amp inline fuse to your headlight circuit,then you can run the running lights without it being dimmed. tap off the headlight circuit coming from the switch before it's split into 4 fuses or you could only make it dim on low or high,run like a 1 amp fuse as close to that harnessas you can so you don't create a danger of knocking out the headlights.

MessyHonda
04-13-2008, 05:08 PM
thats why we have the option for fog lights so you can turn them on with out dimming the inside....clock is handy but i have my stereo set and i also have my cellphone with the real up to date time.

AccordB20A
04-13-2008, 05:42 PM
i never use the clock on my stereo. too hard to set lol I know what he means by not being able to see when your park lights are on. my park lights also dim my digital dash backlights. but on the dash light dimmer dial it has another setting that allows everything to be bright when u put the brightness right up with the dial.
when my clocked Dimmed it made me think i had blown another alternator, then i was like woops my park lights are on.. phew haha