PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a car in Canada

djcslice
04-13-2008, 02:27 PM
I am interested in buying a car in Canada and have it titled in America, most specifically Minnesota. I am wondering if there are a lot of hoops that I would have to jump through to get this car. Am I in for more work than its worth or is it as easy as titling a car from another state?

Hash_man_Se_i
04-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Probably not... I can't speak from experience on that, but I believe when my sister looked in to registering her car in the US while she is there for school it was going to be a fair bit of work.

The big thing lately is importing cars from the US to Canada, and you have to export the car from the US, then import to canada... much work needs to be done with customs. www.riv.ca is a resource that might help with the canadian side?... where are you buying the car? and what are you looking to get?

djcslice
04-13-2008, 04:32 PM
I am looking for a 3g on the cheap that is rust free and the body is in good shape. I have been looking on the west coast, my area and toronto. I figured it would be a difficult venture but I thought I'd double check.

Dr_Snooz
04-13-2008, 04:52 PM
I am looking for a 3g on the cheap that is rust free and the body is in good shape. I have been looking on the west coast, my area and toronto. I figured it would be a difficult venture but I thought I'd double check.

Ha! That's hardcore, man. You must want a 3gee pretty bad.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-13-2008, 08:06 PM

West coast will be the only place in Canada you will find a rust free 3g I'd say... heck, I did that same search myself, look in my thread link in my sig, I went to BC to get my new 3g, and did pretty well. lots of them there are junk though too, so be careful.

Alberta is pretty useless for rust free cars, and anywhere further east just gets worse and worse.

If you need a hand though let me know.

Oh, and the cheap part probably won't be too easy lol... I paid $2400 for my car and that was a decent price considering what other 3g's are going for right now.

87roach
04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
West coast will be the only place in Canada you will find a rust free 3g I'd say...

Haha, are you serious?

Unless the owner(s) have taken really good care of their car(given we are talking about 3g's and how old they are becoming) rust will eat them right down to the bones. The combination of the salt in the cities and the rain of the coast makes it hard to avoid rust.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-13-2008, 08:37 PM
^^^ Ya but compared to most other parts of Canada where salt is abundantly used on the roads during the winter, and the winters are much more harsh the west coast can be easier on cars.

The mild winters are the biggest factor... east coast the salt on roads during the winter is brutal, cars rust right through in just a couple years... alberta is decent, but past few years they have been using more salt... I bought my car in Chilliwack and it was garaged most of its life, but still... when looking for a car there were still quite a few rust free 3g's in Vancouver area.

ghettogeddy
04-13-2008, 08:55 PM
it would be cheaper and easyer for him to buy one on the real west coast lol cali i mean

Hash_man_Se_i
04-13-2008, 09:59 PM
I was thinking that too geddy.... For me, Cali was 2nd option, but importing fees would bring the price up a bit, and was more of a hassle... if you don't have to cross borders from country to country I wouldn't.... its not like the dollar is significantly better anyways.

ghettogeddy
04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
but hes in the us trying to buy a canadian 3g lol
why not just buy a us 3g lol

MessyHonda
04-14-2008, 05:41 PM
yeah i dont really see rusted 3gees around here in cali