PDA

View Full Version : rice or nice, you be the judge

newaccorddriver
04-14-2008, 12:31 AM
anyways, i am nearing the completion of my car and almost ready to crank it over since my fueling issues, and firing it up in 2 years. anyways, i have bought an assortment of gauges, but never figured out a way to mount them since autometer didnt make pillar pods for us. anyways, i mounted them, so what do you guys think?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000917.jpg

picture contains a giant autometer tach, vacuum/boost, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, and volt meter. i still have a EGT meter to install, but i can out of the pedestals but i think you guys get the idea.:cheers:

blackcougar141
04-14-2008, 12:44 AM
To be honest with you bro, it look's like SH*T.....All I did for my car was buy 2 universal pods from autozone which each held 2 gauges (4 total) and use a heat gun to form them to my stock a-pillar. I then did all the fiber-glass work and painting and it looked factory when I was done....just a thought.....

-Why not just use the tach already in the dash, but just mount up a shift light??

Hauntd ca3
04-14-2008, 01:16 AM
have to agree with black cougar dude
not trying to be nasty, but it lokks like the dash of every boyracer in the world.
i'd use the need to know basis.
you only really need two,oil temp and press
a universal shift light instead of the big tach
vac/psi if you are turbo
factory temp and tach are accurate enuff
voltmeter aint really needed
but if you like it, leave it that way
its your car and what you think matters more than what we think

Nafs Asdf
04-14-2008, 02:18 AM
:wtf:

A18A
04-14-2008, 02:47 AM
not trying to be nasty, but it lokks like the dash of every boyracer in the world.
vac/psi if you are turbo

^x2

Hazwan
04-14-2008, 03:15 AM
vac/psi if you are turbo

x3.

Mount the oil temp and press or boost on the a-pilar pod and mount the lesser important gauges under the stereo or something.

2drSE-i
04-14-2008, 05:12 AM
just FYI, the 87 CRX A pillars fit with very little mods. I think you can heat it up and bend it in a lil bit.

Personally, not trying to add to all the other negative comments, i dont really like it..

2oodoor
04-14-2008, 05:50 AM
not digging it, looks dangerous...
if I were not going to use any factory guages I could stuff one or two in there and along the dash panel tray up top. Then a pod maybe.
I agree with the need to know technique as well.
Attsa lotta stuff

cubert
04-14-2008, 07:09 AM
http://www.geoffspotting.com/images/back2future.jpg

Sabz5150
04-14-2008, 08:51 AM
A vacuum gauge can be extremely useful for keeping tabs on your engine. However if you're not going turbo, there's no need for a two-way vac/boost gauge... just sink for the backwards Autometer one.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-14-2008, 08:56 AM
I kind of agree with everyone else... you probably don't really need half of those guages, and that placement looks kinda shitty. IMO if you really want to keep all those guages, then do the crx apillar thing and remove your center vents or something and put more guages there. But for sure get rid of the huuuge tach, stock tach should be more than enough and just mount a shift light hidden inside your left side heater vent.

newaccorddriver
04-14-2008, 09:36 AM
more or less, i never really liked the tach to start with, i guess its a good thing i had a second cover from my friends parts car. anyways, i hear the stock tach is notoriously inaccurate just like any other stock tach from any other car like my skyline, but at the same time, when i bought the car, elijah already had it in and hooked up. as far as the vacuum/boost gauge, i plan on eventually going turbo with it since im running megasquirt and have the ability to control the timing so thats always a good thing to keep in mind, but i can always ditch it for now. im probably going to be keeping the oil pressure and temp gauges along with the EGT and tuck them off way into the side since i cant properly mount any of them. not too sure about the water temperature as id like to know what the car is actually running at rather then having the stock one say nothing useful to me. voltmeter was actually a freebie since i bought the rest of the gauges so im not attached to it in any way.

i cant seem to find any pillar pods for an 87 CRX from the autometer website or even google for that matter, so im not really sure what to say about it other then the possibility that it might not exist.

newaccorddriver
04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
this picture reminds me of scarface where tony montana was at the porsche dealership describing what he wanted in a car

http://www.geoffspotting.com/images/back2future.jpg

2drSE-i
04-14-2008, 09:50 AM
more or less, i never really liked the tach to start with, i guess its a good thing i had a second cover from my friends parts car. anyways, i hear the stock tach is notoriously inaccurate just like any other stock tach from any other car like my skyline, but at the same time, when i bought the car, elijah already had it in and hooked up. as far as the vacuum/boost gauge, i plan on eventually going turbo with it since im running megasquirt and have the ability to control the timing so thats always a good thing to keep in mind, but i can always ditch it for now. im probably going to be keeping the oil pressure and temp gauges along with the EGT and tuck them off way into the side since i cant properly mount any of them. not too sure about the water temperature as id like to know what the car is actually running at rather then having the stock one say nothing useful to me. voltmeter was actually a freebie since i bought the rest of the gauges so im not attached to it in any way.

i cant seem to find any pillar pods for an 87 CRX from the autometer website or even google for that matter, so im not really sure what to say about it other then the possibility that it might not exist.

keep the voltmeter, but mount it with the battery, or somewhere else in the engine bay. You dont really need it until something starts to go wrong. Volt meters make a good diagnostic tool, and it its free dont get rid of it.

newaccorddriver
04-14-2008, 09:58 AM
by luck, i was digging through some parts i have in a box that came with the car, and apparently elijah for once didnt half ass something. apparently in the box was the A pillar trim for the car along with 2 pillar pods that somewhat fit. surprising i found that after the nasty surprise of a slice up ignition harness.

newaccorddriver
04-14-2008, 09:59 AM
keep the voltmeter, but mount it with the battery, or somewhere else in the engine bay. You dont really need it until something starts to go wrong. Volt meters make a good diagnostic tool, and it its free dont get rid of it.

how does it make a good diagnostic tool other then telling you when the alternator is dying? also, by keeping it near the battery or something, arent you effectively draining it?

2oodoor
04-14-2008, 10:21 AM
how does it make a good diagnostic tool other then telling you when the alternator is dying? also, by keeping it near the battery or something, arent you effectively draining it?

I don't know about mounting it under the hood part, but it is a good diagnostic tool when you start to have computer issues you can see if the alt is over charging or not charging, either of which will make the ecm do crazy things.

newaccorddriver
04-14-2008, 10:46 AM
found this in the box of junk i got with the car. i think im going to use this one instead:cheers:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000919.jpg

the seam in between looks pretty horrid, so i guess ill bondo it up to make it smoother. but asides from that, i think it looks pretty decent for something that elijah did and a huge step up from the only idea i had in mind

Civic Accord Honda
04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
anyways, i am nearing the completion of my car and almost ready to crank it over since my fueling issues, and firing it up in 2 years. anyways, i have bought an assortment of gauges, but never figured out a way to mount them since autometer didnt make pillar pods for us. anyways, i mounted them, so what do you guys think?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g303/newaccorddriver/IM000917.jpg

picture contains a giant autometer tach, vacuum/boost, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, and volt meter. i still have a EGT meter to install, but i can out of the pedestals but i think you guys get the idea.:cheers:
i like were the tach is just not the othyer ones lol

ghettogeddy
04-14-2008, 11:13 AM
personaly im removing the stock cluster and adding in seperates of my choice i dont need to look at the water temp and gas gauge all day long lol and my tach no were needs to be that big
this one is both tach and speedo and only 3 3/8"
http://www.autometer.com/img/products/6387_d.jpg

newaccorddriver
04-14-2008, 11:18 AM
i like were the tach is just not the othyer ones lol

upon finding the gauge pod, i think im gonna be ditching that entire setup, and im probably be tossing the tach out as well.

Civic Accord Honda
04-14-2008, 11:26 AM
send the tach to me :D (not for my 3gee though)

newaccorddriver
04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
send the tach to me :D (not for my 3gee though)

probably be up for sale shortly after i get the car running. im gonna be throwing quite a bit of stuff for sale soon

2drSE-i
04-14-2008, 11:33 AM

as roodoo stated, it lets you know if your over, under, or not charging at all. You still need to wire it into the ignition switch, so it doesnt drain the battery, as you said.

frantik
04-14-2008, 04:25 PM
a good rule of thumb.. if you're not sure if it's rice or not.. it probably is :kekeke:

and doesnt the car already have a tach and water temp gauge?

Pico
04-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Good Idea to go with the pod setup, the look will be much cleaner.
I went with pods but I dont have as many gauges as you're going to use
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/picopop/100_0664.jpg

newaccorddriver
04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
a good rule of thumb.. if you're not sure if it's rice or not.. it probably is :kekeke:

and doesnt the car already have a tach and water temp gauge?

its a trial and error thing since i had a spare cover, otherwise i wouldnt bother with it.

anyways, the tach came with the car already, but im still debating on using it or not since im not a fan of a giant round thing on the side. and water temperature gauge needs more accuracy rather then too hot or too cold, sorta like a narrowband vs wideband thing. and yes, i have a wideband for this car:cheers:

newaccorddriver
04-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Good Idea to go with the pod setup, the look will be much cleaner.
I went with pods but I dont have as many gauges as you're going to use

i was actually surprised when i dug that up in the box yesterday. i had no idea what was even in the box, but i found the gauge pod that is half assed and a bunch of other stuff like a cobalt series electronic boost gauge.among a few other things

Hauntd ca3
04-15-2008, 12:51 AM
most tachs over read by a few hundy revs at the top end mainly for safety sake than anything
else.
most motor bike ones are up to 1500 rpm out near the redline for just that reason.
if you gunna run an aftermarket ecu,it should have an output for a tach , so use that to drive the factory one.
keep the factory temp gauge as a guide so if it reads hot you can check one with a graduated scale for tru temp that youcan mount else where .