PDA

View Full Version : WHich timing belt??

Dutchboy
09-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Ok since theres been all these timing belt failures lately i was wondering which belt to use...

in the past ive used ones from say napa, and the local parts stores
But should i really use the genuiene honda replacement or has the local parts stores been good enough,,.,

so what is recomended...
the local parts stores belts.....
Or the oem replacemnt from HOnda???????

Thanks
BEn

offthahook
09-20-2002, 07:27 PM
For such an important part, I favor the extra few bucks for the genuine. I doubt Honda actually makes their own belts, but they have their own specs that the belts must conform to. Gates, Dayton, Goodyear, etc. may actually manufacture Honda belts, but they have to meet Honda's strict regs. Get a genuine one.

Dutchboy
09-20-2002, 07:48 PM
yes i was thinking that i should get the genuine belt...
im going to get prices on them sometime next week...

i got to do the rear brakes too so i might as well get everything at once....
boy do i hate the rear adjusters ther so hard to get at...

anyway..
anyone else have a opinion???
someone care to say what they think of the cheaper ones compared to the more expensive,,...,.,

BEn

YK86
09-20-2002, 07:56 PM
Once again, offthahook is correct. I usually go with Dayco but I have a feeling Honda belts are made by Gates. Anyways, I think the three he mentioned should not give you any problems. I really think most of the broken belts are coming from not changing them at the recommened interval.

Dutchboy
09-20-2002, 07:59 PM
were can you get the dayco???

im in Canada.. so i dont think that the auto parts stores are the same here...

we have::::
lordco
napa
west can auto.
some wholesale distributors...
the dealers.

BEn

A20A1
09-20-2002, 08:11 PM
Man I wish I new if my belt was the original honda belt? I figure it is cause there is a lot of Japanese writing on it. and a big red HONDA logo.

I never changed it in the 86,000 miles I've had my car.
and I've spilt oil, atf, coolant, wd-40, engine degreasing foam, and even spray painted it to make index marks when I removed the head.

the only sign of wear is the appearence metal wires when you look at the belt from the side. I would replace it but I need to be sure I'm getting the best. :D

shepherd79
09-20-2002, 09:16 PM
well, i know autozone sells Goodyear belts.
i don't trust anyone except Goodyear. they have been around round for a long time so they know that they are doing with rubber.

offthahook
09-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
Man I wish I new if my belt was the original honda belt? I figure it is cause there is a lot of Japanese writing on it. and a big red HONDA logo.

I never changed it in the 86,000 miles I've had my car.
and I've spilt oil, atf, coolant, wd-40, engine degreasing foam, and even spray painted it to make index marks when I removed the head.

the only sign of wear is the appearence metal wires when you look at the belt from the side. I would replace it but I need to be sure I'm getting the best. :D

You didn't say that... Tell me you didn't just say that!! You removed your head and reused the same timing belt? :eek: I know on "older" Accords, the FACTORY timing belt had a different color of print on the belt itself. The replacement belts from Honda had a different color of print. I don't think they do this anymore and it was a good idea. That way you knew if you had the original belt if you bought the car used. The colors were red and white, but I forget which was which.

Gates Belts (http://www.gates.com)

Get the part number and find a vendor fa sho.

YK86
09-21-2002, 12:04 AM
Dutchboy-guess where I'm from?? BC! I get all my stuff from Lordco (since I get a good discount) and they sell Dayco belts. Wakefield-Sperling sells Gates (but they may only be a Fraser-Valley chain) and a few smaller shops sell Goodyear. I think they are all good belt/rubber companies.

ACCORD EX
09-21-2002, 07:26 AM
i'll get a genuine one ! and get peace of mind for 100000 km !

MIKE

YK86
09-21-2002, 07:53 AM
Parts can be quite confusing sometimes. Like the genuine Honda release bearing I got was an NSK in a Honda package for $75 CAD. I went to the local auto store and picked up an Altrom (never heard of them until that day) and they sold the exact same NSK bearing in a NSK box with an Altrom sticker on it and that only cost $45.

ACCORD EX
09-21-2002, 08:30 AM
the same thing happened to me Yassu !
the first part 75 $ is a NSK ( made for honda )
the second part 45 $ is a universal NSK that fits honda ! you sea the differnece !?

MIKE

AZ89Accord
09-21-2002, 01:24 PM
I just bought a timing belt from Honda for 36 dls. For something so critical like this, I will pay the extra cost compared to 23 dls at Autozone. Why? Specifications and tighter tolerance, a genuine part here is a no brainer. Plus, check this, autozone's or checkers timing belts carry a 3 month warranty, compared to 1 year for a genuine Honda. What does that tell you?

Dutchboy
09-21-2002, 02:48 PM
heheh .. .i didnt see that YK86 was from BC...

well that makes things easier then....
I just moved to Kelowna and theres a lot more places here to buy stuff so that will make it better to find the right part...

A20A1: I think theres something that is on your list of to dos isnt there??? :D ithink that reving to 7000 with a belt like that may not be a good idea....

Ive got to go now and get my parts....

also today i was washing my car and i find that my bumbper has a gouge in the side and a whole shit load of paint missing...GGGRRRR....some stupid focker hit me sometime this week...i tell you,,,i ever find someone doing something to my car thats the last time there going to walk ever again..I get so mad when i find things like that.....I already had my drivers side KEYED..2 inthe past 3months....or at least someone..scraping a damn cart along my car....

Okay ill shut up and mope somewhere else....

BEn

Bobs89LXi
09-21-2002, 03:04 PM
If there is one item you should replace at the recommended interval, it's the timing belt. Just because it "looks" ok, doesn't mean there isn't a hairline crack or a worn tooth that may at the very least, cause it to slip, and the very worst, causing it to break. Spend the small extra amount of money (compared to the cost of new valves, pistons, or head) for the genuine Honda belt.

DBMaster
09-22-2002, 12:07 PM
A company called "Bando" made the factory and replacement accessory drive belts on my car. The last timing belt I put on mine was a Gates belt. This was before I knew about Majestic Honda, though. In the past I found that Gates belts and hoses were the only ones I used that were as good, or better than factory. I would stick with Honda if I had a choice, though.