PDA

View Full Version : New goodies have arrived!

Sabz5150
04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Spring is here and it's time to spend money on the car :)

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/hdtuner.jpg

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/changer.jpg

Pioneer IP-Bus HD Radio tuner and IP-Bus 12 disc changer :D The tuner requires your radio antenna to be plugged into it instead of the HU, and it comes with a 10 foot extension. Since my roof antenna is completely trashed and rattle canned to nastiness, I am considering installing a power antenna on the rear of the car. Makes sense and it'd look slick.

forrest89sei
04-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Sweet :D

Tell me how the HD Radio Sounds, I'm considering buying a HU with a HD Tuner when I have money

MessyHonda
04-14-2008, 06:43 PM
i have a pioneer deck also....dont know if i want to go with a ipod and ipod connection or a xm radio set up.....not sure about hd cuz the guy at circuit city said it was not selling very good

Vanilla Sky
04-14-2008, 07:09 PM
I have an HD-ready HU, just need the tuner. Let me know if you think it's worth it.

SZfiftyfour
04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
i have a pioneer deck also....dont know if i want to go with a ipod and ipod connection or a xm radio set up.....not sure about hd cuz the guy at circuit city said it was not selling very good

Go with XM. I was very happy with my Sirius set-up. I had a separate reciever playing through its fm transmitter and the thing sounded like CD quality. I could only imagine it built into the reciever would sound even better. Plus they just recently OK'ed the XM and Sirius merger.

MessyHonda
04-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Go with XM. I was very happy with my Sirius set-up. I had a separate reciever playing through its fm transmitter and the thing sounded like CD quality. I could only imagine it built into the reciever would sound even better. Plus they just recently OK'ed the XM and Sirius merger.

how is that going to work....if i go xm will i be able to get sirus too?...i need info

Sabz5150
04-15-2008, 02:50 AM

The iPod dock is nice, everything is handled via the headunit just as advertised. Left/Right select songs (or advance/restart in shuffle mode) and Up/Down changes the playlists. I hardly use the thing, but the misses has an iPod so I bought the docks for both our HUs.

Now XM, that's what my system is always locked to. Definitely worth it if you can justify sinking the money every year.

SZfiftyfour
04-15-2008, 07:08 AM
how is that going to work....if i go xm will i be able to get sirus too?...i need info

I'm sure whoever has an xm or sirius reciever will still get a signal. When they merge it'll probably update the channels and be a mix of the two brands' channels. It seems to be fairly easy for them to do, my sirius reciever would update and add channels by itself in less than a minute.
I'm going to research this more, cuz now i want to restart my sirius subscription.:)

MessyHonda
04-15-2008, 09:16 AM
alright thanks guys....i been looking into xm for a while ever since i got my pioneer...the only thing is that i dont want the antenna on the car.

zAFW
04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
I know this is a bit off topic but I'm curious.. How does the HD hook up to the car stereo? Was thinking of getting one myself but I have no idea how to install it.

ghettogeddy
04-15-2008, 09:28 AM
alright thanks guys....i been looking into xm for a while ever since i got my pioneer...the only thing is that i dont want the antenna on the car.

i had my antenna on the dash and never had a signal drop

Sabz5150
04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
I know this is a bit off topic but I'm curious.. How does the HD hook up to the car stereo? Was thinking of getting one myself but I have no idea how to install it.

The one I picked up connects through the IP Bus line from the headunit.

Speaking of antenna issues, I solved mine :) Rewired one of thise "icon of the 80's" glass mount cell antennas and fed that to the HD tuner. Works flawlessly. Didn't expect it to, but it does.

Sabz5150
04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Scratch the celltenna... it works, but it's picky. Back to getting a rear mount.

From what I heard, it's nice. You can tell a bit of difference in the FM stations (multicasting is nice too!), and AM is loads clearer.

Sabz5150
04-18-2008, 07:16 AM
More updating :)

I built a small backboard to mount the XM and HD tuners... I didn't like where I had placed them previously, and where mounting one rectangular box to the underside of a trunk is easy... mounting two rectangular boxes is difficult. It also tucks all the wires for the tuners :)

Pics soon!

EDIT: Finished the changer install, last thing to do is install the antenna for HD.

The 'source' button on my HU goes 'Tuner -> CD -> Aux1 -> iPod -> Multi CD -> External HD tuner -> XM tuner' hahaha.

forrest89sei
04-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Sweet :D

Bass Man
04-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Another satalite radio! Sweet..

I got a free 10 disc sony CD Changer when I bought one of my OLD subs ($60!) and it was brand new, and probably stolen... So what. No one could prove I knew better, haha!

What else are you running?

Sabz5150
04-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Another satalite radio! Sweet..

I got a free 10 disc sony CD Changer when I bought one of my OLD subs ($60!) and it was brand new, and probably stolen... So what. No one could prove I knew better, haha!

What else are you running?

It's all Pioneer hardware. The headunit is a DEH-P2900MP. The speakers are two-way 6.5's. I have the iPod adapter, a 12 disc changer, XM radio and HD radio on the IP-Bus.

I have an old school 9 band EQ coming my way soon (yes, Pioneer), so that means I need to locate a decent amp. I'd like to find a Pio amp of course, nothing big... just a basic 4 channel.

ghettogeddy
04-18-2008, 07:23 PM
It's all Pioneer hardware. The headunit is a DEH-P2900MP. The speakers are two-way 6.5's. I have the iPod adapter, a 12 disc changer, XM radio and HD radio on the IP-Bus.

I have an old school 9 band EQ coming my way soon (yes, Pioneer), so that means I need to locate a decent amp. I'd like to find a Pio amp of course, nothing big... just a basic 4 channel.

you need to get some infinity or polk speakers though
your ears will love you

Bass Man
04-18-2008, 07:30 PM
I think Infinity is a bit "harsh" at times, but Polk Is pretty good stuff.

I run 6 1/2" 3 way Pioneers I got 5 years ago (still blue) and they still sound awesome...

I got offered a set of Memphis Components for $100... Good deal for 4 6 1/2's, seperate X-overs and 1" silk dome tweeters... I'm smacking myself now, but that was when I didn't have money, or I would have taken it

(When I was working for Car Tunes, we installed a whole system in this guy's motorhome... He sold it and took the audio out of it and nothing would fit his car, so he was selling them.)

ghettogeddy
04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
i just think pioneer is no longer about sound there subs suck there decks are flimsy and poorly built amps have always sucked and come on they make a 5 way 6x9 whats the real need lol
im a huge polk fan
infinity 2nd
and boston 3rd

pioneer just like fosgate has lost there touch

SZfiftyfour
04-18-2008, 09:22 PM
^^^One good thing about pioneer though, they are budget-friendly. And some of their H/U's are really good. But like you; I wouldn't get amps or subs from them either.
My list:
Head units:
1.JVC
2.Pioneer
3.Blaupunkt
The rest:
1.MTX
2.JBL
3.Kicker

Bass Man
04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
MTX has gone to hell... I'm surprised you don't have memphis on your list...

Best subs for the money; RE Audio.
Best amp for the money; Arguably Sundown and US AMPS.

Clarion is high on my list, though...
I've built so many $200 systems through Clarion that sound increadible!! HU, 2 6 1/2"s and 2 6x9's...

Boston Acustics are awesome and so are Focals and CDT, when you want sound quality...

But the best is undisputably Rainbow components

ghettogeddy
04-18-2008, 10:17 PM
i love panasonic and clarion for decks best output on the rca out of any deck
plus pioneer is the #1 most stolen deck on the world lol
why cause ever cheap ass pout there has one lol

if i had the money id so have one of the clarion DRZ9255

http://www.anythingwholesaleaz.com/ProductImages/clarion/DRZ9255.jpgThe top of the class DRZ9255 includes all the features that people demand in today�s source units, including high-performance functions, high-quality parts and superb design and materials for the faithful reproduction of sound. Components include a Digital-to-Analog converter that oversamples at a speed of 96 kHz, a four-way crossover, a five-band parametric equalizer and a four-layer glass epoxy circuit board. These components let you hear the smallest sonic nuances and let you tailor the sound to your personal taste. The external power supply with its DC-to-DC converter delivers stable power, and every detail of the chassis is designed with performance in mind. Car audiophiles looking for the ultimate sound can find it with these high-performance features and components.

* Dual 24-bit / 96 kHz Sampling Digital-to-Analog Burr-Brown Converters and DSP

* Built-In 4-Way Crossovers

* 5-Band Parametric Equalizer

* Digital Time Alignment for Each Line Level Output

* 8-Channel/4-Volt Gold Plated Oxygen-Free Copper RCA Outputs

* 0.5dB-Step Electronic Volume Adjustment Circuit

* Copper Plated Chassis

* External DC/DC Converter

* CeNET Control of Optional CD Changer, TV Tuner and iPod Interface

* Two 2-Channel AUX Inputs

* Zinc Die-Cast Faceplate

* Fiber Optic Input/Output

* Vacuum Florescent Display

* 18FM/6AM Presets

* Remote Control Included

Sabz5150
04-19-2008, 03:31 AM
^^^One good thing about pioneer though, they are budget-friendly. And some of their H/U's are really good. But like you; I wouldn't get amps or subs from them either.
My list:
Head units:
1.JVC
2.Pioneer
3.Blaupunkt
The rest:
1.MTX
2.JBL
3.Kicker

I never had a problem with their OLD SCHOOL amps. Well, except for the famous 'Pioneer Pop', but I didn't get that with any of my older Pio HW. My old 3g had an ancient Pio 4 channel (GM-X840 or something like that) for it's front/rears and it served me well. For this 3g, that's what I am looking for as well... maybe 50 watts to each channel, nothing more. Subwoofer wise, I might get a single 8" in a tube and a couple hundred watts of power. I don't want to stuff this car full of speakers and amplifiers.

Sabz5150
04-19-2008, 03:34 AM
MTX has gone to hell... I'm surprised you don't have memphis on your list...

Best subs for the money; RE Audio.
Best amp for the money; Arguably Sundown and US AMPS.

Clarion is high on my list, though...
I've built so many $200 systems through Clarion that sound increadible!! HU, 2 6 1/2"s and 2 6x9's...

Boston Acustics are awesome and so are Focals and CDT, when you want sound quality...

But the best is undisputably Rainbow components

Clarions are nice... and built like a friggin' tank. Their HUs might not be as flashy as the other brands, but you quickly realize where your money went when you put your ears to it.

EDIT: If money is no issue... Nakamichi.

Sabz5150
04-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Okay, here we go :)

These pics are with the entire trunk still stripped and not yet cleaned, so don't expect sheer beauty.

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/accord/seisound1.jpg

Changer install. The old celltenna wire is wrapped around the vent... might come in handy someday.

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/accord/seisound2.jpg

Oil soaked rear carpet. Fixin that soon.

There's the backboard. It's two pieces with about 3/8" of open space between them for wires and such. The main wires come out of a slot right where the stock harness sits. Convenient :)

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/accord/seisound3.jpg

So clean :)

Bass Man
04-19-2008, 07:43 AM
EDIT: If money is no issue... Nakamichi.
How do they compare to Mcintosh??

On a more affordable note, I've delt with many Eclipse HU's and must say... If you want a HU that will be "Up-To-Par" for the next 10 years, Eclipse has my vote.

I used to like Alpine, but I don't know what the hell they are doing these day... damn forein plastic ruining good name stuff...

A18A
04-19-2008, 08:13 AM
damn your avatar is freaking me out

SZfiftyfour
04-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Oh, with money no issue? Thats another story, and a whole other list to go with it.

BTW Sabz nice clean setup, looks good. Why are xm recievers so gynormous?

ghettogeddy
04-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Oh, with money no issue? Thats another story, and a whole other list to go with it.

BTW Sabz nice clean setup, looks good. Why are xm recievers so gynormous?

thats funny cause the one for my panasonic is the size of the hd radio box lol

Civic Accord Honda
04-20-2008, 01:02 PM
i just think pioneer is no longer about sound there subs suck there decks are flimsy and poorly built amps have always sucked and come on they make a 5 way 6x9 whats the real need lol
im a huge polk fan
infinity 2nd
and boston 3rd

pioneer just like fosgate has lost there touch
pshhh you forgot Cerwin Vega on your list f00

ghettogeddy
04-20-2008, 01:08 PM
pshhh you forgot Cerwin Vega on your list f00

no i dident

Civic Accord Honda
04-20-2008, 01:13 PM
:P old school cerwin vegas kick ass :P
k il stop whoreing now lol

Sabz5150
04-23-2008, 04:27 AM
I have an HD-ready HU, just need the tuner. Let me know if you think it's worth it.

Go to www.hdradio.com and look up your city/region. That'll tell you if HD Radio is worth it. Audio-wise, it's rather nice. CD quality sound from the FM stations and a drastic boost in AM quality (if you ever use that band). The multicast stations are nice as well... each radio station can have their standard FM signal plus three HD signals, the first one being the HD version of the standard FM station. So for example your usual alternative rock station can have it's usual broadcast plus a 90's station and a newest releases only station. Kinda neat :)

MessyHonda
04-23-2008, 09:45 AM
alright so last night i went to best buy and they didnt have the xm tuner. my buddy works there and its like 75 bucks for it brand new...so not bad at all.

Bass Man
04-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Holy Crap!! CV's 2008 stuff is crazy!! And VERY inexpencive!! I would say a very good buy at the least...

Sabz5150
04-24-2008, 05:59 AM
http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/accord/equalizer1.jpg

Old school 9 band slider. Now to find an amp :)

Pico
04-24-2008, 06:42 AM
Beautiful setup you've put together Sabz

frantik
04-24-2008, 01:38 PM
looking good :thumbup: i've got a 7band OEM eq if you're interested...

Bass Man
04-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Old school 9 band slider. Now to find an amp :)

Now I'm jealous... I wish my Uniq 10 band worked on all the bands, not just 500hz.

AccordB20A
04-25-2008, 02:12 PM
interesting items you have

xxxfrankensteinxxx
04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
ive been very impressed with my clarion head unit think it was like 700ish a while ago, i dont want another deck ha