PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Performance Springs

codyJDM
04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Anyone on here rocking a set? Mine should be here tomorrow and I just wanted to hear some feedback about how they feel/handle. Got a good deal so I couldn't say no :cheers:

2drSE-i
04-14-2008, 07:36 PM
ya they are good. not from persona experience but from 30-45 seconds of searching most people who have them like them

mushroom_toy
04-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a set, theyre just not on my car haha, but i hear they are great. I only paid 8 bucks for mine. XD

MessyHonda
04-15-2008, 12:23 AM
i had a set but i did not put them on my car since i didnt want to blow my 240 buck tokicos...i went with the neuspeed set up...hope you have good shocks

blackcougar141
04-15-2008, 04:05 AM
I use to have a set on my 99 Neon 2dr sport. I used the stock struts like an idiot at first, talk about a firm ride, and that's with the stock rim and tire setup. They made the car set good and after I changed out the struts, it rode a lot better.

codyJDM
04-15-2008, 05:48 AM
Im glad to hear they're at least decent, I'm running KYB's so I think I should be alright. I lucked out, bought it with them on the car :thumbup:

blackcougar141
04-15-2008, 06:37 AM
Yeah there pretty good springs, you could always take them out and have them powder-coated to any color to make them look different.

ghettogeddy
04-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Im glad to hear they're at least decent, I'm running KYB's so I think I should be alright. I lucked out, bought it with them on the car :thumbup:

lol there only 75 bucks with promo code right now not that lucky lol lucky would be ground control coilovers and koni reds (fn knarg) lol

codyJDM
04-15-2008, 01:48 PM
haha true true. One day, one day.

codyJDM
04-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Just got them today. I might do a write-up on the installation saturday.

http://i28.tinypic.com/10farh5.jpg

w00t. I'm ready for it. 2.25" drop, gooodbyyeee wheel gap.

markmdz89hatch
04-28-2008, 05:22 AM
...but with just running those KYB's you might as well take that $75 you saved by not having to buy them, and go buy blown struts from a 3G in the j/y and put them on instead.

The KYB's are good struts, but only for stock springs. I guarantee you'll blow the KYB's within a few hundred miles (maybe 1000 at absolute max). The spring rate of the Sprints is way more then what the KYB's are valved to handle.

edit... Sorry to sound negative above, as I don't mean to rain on your parade, but someone's got to shed some light on this one for you so you don't end up crashing due to blown struts.

Check out this excerpt directly from Sprint's homepage (www.sprintspring.com):

Sprint Rate: Spring rate or spring stiffness influence the handling characteristics of the vehicles chassis. Sprint springs are designed for the best ride quality for its ride height. Sprint Springs are normally 20-25% stiffer than factory stock springs.

Many people seem to believe that the stiffer the spring the better. Which is NOT CORRECT! The stiffer the spring the harder the rebound is on The shock. Conventional factory or aftermarket factory replacement shocks are not designed to handle the rebound of a stiff spring. The center cartridge of the shock snaps back, that causes the vehicle to hop, creates a harsh ride, and predictable road traction is lost.

On a side note, I have to admit, I was VERY suprised to see a spring manufacturer put something like that on their site, let alone smack on the homepage. I have a lot of respect for Sprint for doing this.

Based on their claims to average a 20-25% rate increase from stock, I would suggest the Toki's all around at a minimum. Even those are really pushing it, but given the limited choices now, it's a hell of a lot safer then stock, and will last a lot longer. They'll still end up quitting earlier then with on stock springs, but I know I'd sleep better at night knowing I'm on a setup that's at least acceptable.

I know I'm going to get skewered for this, but I've always said, and will continue to say, if you are just looking for a lowered look, and don't care about added performance of the traditional lowering spring (obv. only if coupled w/ correct struts), it's actually MUCH safer to just cut the springs and keep everything stock. Spend the money you would have spent on springs, and buy some prelude uca's and aftermarket rear adjustable uca's.

codyJDM
04-28-2008, 05:46 AM
It's all good, I was a little skeptical of how it handled now anyway. I was already thinking of going to blues or reds.

I would rather not crash due to failing struts.. haha

Well, I know what my next purchase will be. Good lookin' out. :thumbup:

markmdz89hatch
04-28-2008, 06:00 AM
no worries. the only reason I went so far as to say 'crash due to failed struts' is because the one thing most affected by a rear strut failure is greatly increased braking distances.

good luck finding the reds. if you do, for the sake of everyone on this board, please scoop them right up. Koni stopped making them years ago, and last I checked, no-one still has any on stock. It's rediculously expensive, but even a blown red can be rebuilt if you send it back to Koni.

btw, thanks for making me look at Sprint's offerings again. I think i'm going to pick up a set, just to try them out, and have a few more springs to try and get the best combo of height and spring rate.