PDA

View Full Version : Metallic clank when cornering

nfs480
04-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Sometimes, but not always, when i'm turning a sort of hollow metallic clank can be heard from the front left side suspension. It almost sounds like what it would to tap a empty metal trash can with a metal pole. It usually only happens when turning but occasionally it will occur at other times. It doesn't seem to have any relation to major bumps or roughness in the road, so I don't think it is shocks. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas for what I could look for if I jack up the car? Thanks.

cubert
04-17-2008, 06:36 PM
cv joints?

nfs480
04-17-2008, 06:39 PM
cv joints?

That's kind of my #1 guess right now, but I don't know how to confirm that. How do I inspect the CV joints?

Ichiban
04-17-2008, 06:40 PM
I had a trashed swaybar endlink bushing that made that exact noise. New bushing=no noise.

nfs480
04-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I had a trashed swaybar endlink bushing that made that exact noise. New bushing=no noise.

Thanks, i'll make sure to look into that.

Dr_Snooz
04-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree that it's probably a bushing. CVs usually make a clackity, clackity noise as you go around corners. If you want to check them, turn the wheels to lock and go around in a circle listening for that noise.

Otherwise, just get under the car and start pulling on suspension members to see they move. (Don't pull the car down on top of you though.) Also look for rotted and cracked rubber bushings.

w261w261
04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Our cars have A LOT of bushings. I'm currently trying to track down a noise in the right rear which is sometimes there on bumps, sometimes not. I've replaced both upper arms / ball joints, no change. Grabbing things results in no info, it doesn't happen until a rather sharp bump, and then not always. I'm almost to the point of replacing EVERY damn bushing back there, including the big ones in the swing arms. I have removed everything from the trunk.

In the front, things seem easier to find. The radius rod (or "strut rod") bushings get worn, and they're a little harder to see. Sometimes when you try to move things by hand under the car it isn't enough compared to the dynamic forces of driving. But I agree, crawl around or put it up on a lift and bang away.